Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
Mikeyboy
2nd Gear

Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Been thinking for a while that someone should put up a sticky on how to load the memory cards for the RNS-E as I have still yet to find a solution for it. (may be 2GB but it just reads about 1.5gb of it)
I and I'm sure many users on here have no idea what a root file is we don't want to spend twelve days a week experiementing with playlist files and techno babble just makes it harder to do what we want. We just want a quick solution to the problem. So how about it?

Mikeyboy

55JWB
3rd Gear

RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by 55JWB » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:22 pm

The holy grail it seems, I in a non techy fashion just want to know how to get music out of iTunes onto an SD card in format that the RNS-E will play and display track names...

Jason

June 08 S5 ¦ Phantom Black ¦ Black Silk Nappa Interior ¦ Carbon Trim ¦ DVD Nav Plus ¦ DAB Radio ¦ AMI ¦ Phone Prep High ¦ Bang & Olufsen ¦ Parking Plus ¦ Heated Memory Seats ¦ Auto Dipping Rear & Side Electrically Folding Mirrors ¦ Adaptive Xenon's and no Mod's just yet ;)

reserves
4th Gear

RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by reserves » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:45 pm

Download 'Playlist Creator 3'

1) Create a new folder (for this example 'MusicForRNSE)
2) Drag seperate albums/songs into a a sub directory of this folder, not from iTunes but from the actual folders themselves, these files have to be .MP3 files.

You should then have something like:

MusicForRNSE/Help
MusicForRNSE/GreatestHits
etc.

3) Run 'Playlist Creator 3, click the top right folder icon and select each folder under the main one you have created (MusicForRNSE in above example)
4) Click the bottom folder icon next to 'Select Save Location' and point to the main music directory you created in step one.
5) Click 'Create Playlist'
6) Drag the main folder (MusicForRNSE) onto your memory card.

Done. R

55JWB
3rd Gear

Re: RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by 55JWB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 pm

reserves wrote:2) Drag seperate albums/songs into a a sub directory of this folder, not from iTunes but from the actual folders themselves, these files have to be .MP3 files.
the music in "My Music" folder seems to be .mp4 how do I convert to .mp3??

Jason

June 08 S5 ¦ Phantom Black ¦ Black Silk Nappa Interior ¦ Carbon Trim ¦ DVD Nav Plus ¦ DAB Radio ¦ AMI ¦ Phone Prep High ¦ Bang & Olufsen ¦ Parking Plus ¦ Heated Memory Seats ¦ Auto Dipping Rear & Side Electrically Folding Mirrors ¦ Adaptive Xenon's and no Mod's just yet ;)

reserves
4th Gear

RE: Re: RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by reserves » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:09 pm

In iTunes go to:

Edit - Preferences

Select 'Advanced' Tab

Then 'Importing' Tab

Change 'Import Using' dropdown to MP3.

Click 'Ok'

In iTunes select the songs you want to convert to MP3, right click and select "Convert selection to MP3"

All future songs will automatically be converted to MP3, existing ones must be converted.

R

55JWB
3rd Gear

Post by 55JWB » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Done exactly that, all looked promising, but they dont seem to convert, despite doing so for sometime, still remain as .m4a file extension??

Jason

reserves
4th Gear

Post by reserves » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:08 am

Either you are doing something wrong or you are still looking at the original files.

The convert makes a COPY of the music files, so you will have the original .m4a files and the new .MP3 files.

55JWB
3rd Gear

Post by 55JWB » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:24 am

OK checked that out, a copy does exist... I was also trying to do it from a playlist not the original 'library' in iTunes. So I have cicked the option to open in a new window or whatever it is, right clicked the album I have converted and dragged and dropped into a folder on the SD card named as the 'Album', I can see from explorer that they are defo .mp3 files now, however putting it in the car still does not come up with any files?? Any suggestions on what next??

Thanks

Jason

55JWB
3rd Gear

Post by 55JWB » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Just thought, does the fact that I am using SDHC cards matter?? sandisk 4gb ones??

Jason

PetrolDave
Cruising

Re: RE: Re: RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by PetrolDave » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:59 pm

55JWB wrote:Just thought, does the fact that I am using SDHC cards matter?? sandisk 4gb ones??
It matters a lot... the RNS-E doesn't work with SDHC cards.

It will ONLY accept standard SD cards.

Sell the SDHC cards on eBay (or try and return them to where you bought them from) - they are useless to you - and get some SD cards.

55JWB
3rd Gear

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by 55JWB » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:36 pm

Back to the drawing board then, thanks.. I will get one tomorrow and see if I can get it to work... Thanks

Jason

55JWB
3rd Gear

Re: RE: Re: RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by 55JWB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:50 pm

reserves wrote:In iTunes go to:

Edit - Preferences

Select 'Advanced' Tab

Then 'Importing' Tab

Change 'Import Using' dropdown to MP3.

Click 'Ok'

In iTunes select the songs you want to convert to MP3, right click and select "Convert selection to MP3"

All future songs will automatically be converted to MP3, existing ones must be converted.

R
All sorted!!

Swapped my 4gb SDHC's for 4 x 2gb SD's and all working :)

Did the above, right clicked the album I converted, clicked to open in a new window, dragged and dropped and all working perfectly... just right clicked the blank disk, clicked "New Folder" named it the Album and dropped the tracks in, very happy at last!!

Jason

theaxe
2nd Gear

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by theaxe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:32 am

Phantom Black '06 RS4 Saloon
Recaros, loaded (except ceramics & bluetooth).

Timster
Cruising

Re: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by Timster » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

Good idea.

I use Media Monkey but I'm sure people will find this useful.

(Ps. your first link doesn't work properly)
VW Toe-rag V6 R-line.... no curry hooks...wtf ?
Gone: Avus Avant B7 RS4.... plus curry hooks !

Ian_C
Cruising

Re: Memory Cards for RNS-E - how to ?

Post by Ian_C » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm

TimsterRS4 wrote:Good idea.

I use Media Monkey but I'm sure people will find this useful.

(Ps. your first link doesn't work properly)
Tim have you been on the sauce again - this thread is five years old! :bigblink:
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “Electrical”