B7 RS4 Adaptive lighting fault

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
TheresonlyoneBiff
Neutral

B7 RS4 Adaptive lighting fault

Post by TheresonlyoneBiff » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:36 pm

My n/s (left) headlight has been throwing up the yellow adaptive lighting fault light on the dash. The lights all work as they should from what I can see. I bought another headlight off eBay and the same fault occurs. I’ve changed the control unit on the bottom of the light and it’s still throwing up the warning light, the question is does it need programming in with VCDS or is they a way it can it be turned off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7, Vossen HF2 Wheels, DKU Performance custom exhaust, H&R Coilovers, K&N Filter

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Re: B7 RS4 Adaptive lighting fault

Post by Kenny147 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:44 am

When you turn on the ignition to accessory, not start, do the lights do the up/down, left/right dance? If not you’ll need to run a scan using VCDS. You need to to adapt and recalibrate the lights after you fit a new ballast. Was the ballast new or used? For an A4/RS4 or an A3?

It’s not massively difficult but you do need VCDS or it’ll mean a trip to somewhere that does.

TheresonlyoneBiff
Neutral

Post by TheresonlyoneBiff » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 am

Yes they do the up and down thing, I’ve got a guy with VCDS gonna look at it tomoro, he told me what the fault was in the first place so all being well he can sort it, I’ll update later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7, Vossen HF2 Wheels, DKU Performance custom exhaust, H&R Coilovers, K&N Filter

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:43 pm

I had a bit of a nightmare with one of my units last year and ended up reading more posts and learning more than I ever wanted to. Generally, either the ballast goes or the wiring chafes due to the movement of the internal unit and shorts out. The ballast is more common, though.

I’ll have a look for the Audizine.com post I used to adapt and recalibrate the unit

Return to “Electrical”