Switched Live

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
FrazerD
4th Gear

Re: Switched Live

Post by FrazerD » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Eddie555 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm
18 volts?!?!?!? I’d be looking at the voltage stabiliser in the alternator. 14.5ish volts is the norm. Are you sure it’s 18 volts??? If it is it’s probably why the radio is tripping out.

Edit. Put the multimeter across the battery terminals and take a reading. If it’s 18volts there then there’s something wrong.
It was just with a cheap voltmeter I had in the garage. I’m going to take a multimeter home from work and have a play. I just can’t really get my head around it and I also don’t really want to pay £40 for a canbus interface just for an illumination feed.

I can’t understand why there isn’t a fuse for sidelights or headlights in the fuse box. I’m going to put the illumination wire on a permanent source to try and eliminate the headunit and take it from there.

Cheers :thumbs:

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm

There has surely got to be a normal live for the side lights or tail lights as these are normal bulbs.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:56 pm

Hi folks,

After trying to find a live, I have given up and think I’m going to buy a canbus decoder. On another note, whilst trying to find a live, I found one in one of the plugs on the onboard power supply unit. After reverting everything back to the way it was, my wipers are now tripping out.

When the ignition is on and you work the wiper stalk, they come up three quarters of the way, stop and then won’t do anything after that unless I turn the ignition off and back on and I have to do that twice for the wipers to go back to the park position.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother :bash: Have I fucked something? Or is there something I can do to reset them? I have disconnected the battery for a bit and also pulled the fuse but no joy.

:audibash:

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi folks,

Just to update this. Whilst trying to find a live, I tried to tap into the onboard power supply module and I somehow made my wipers not work. I replaced the module and they work again but now my full beam doesn’t, the blue light on the dash comes on and when I flash them, my drls come on but they sent on any other time.

Is this a coding issue and the new module needs coding for my headlights or is it something more serious? I wish I hadn’t even started :boohoo:

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi folks,

Just an update, I done a bit of coding and all is well now.

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Thank goodness for that.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 pm

daytonamart wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm
Thank goodness for that.
Tell me about it :bash:

I’m going to order a canbus interface and do it right, serves me right for trying to save money.

Return to “Electrical”