Removal of rear camera

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
jonno_c
1st Gear

Removal of rear camera

Post by jonno_c » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 am

So the previous owner installed a rear camera which I hate. It's linked to a small screen on the windscreen, like a sat nav.
What's the best way of getting rid of it?
Can I just snip the wires and be done, or do i need to take everything off to feed the wire back out ; (

HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: Removal of rear camera

Post by HPsauce » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:51 pm

I'd replace it with a better one, assuming it works and use all the existing wiring.
You'll probably be able to fit one very neatly above the numberplate in or alongside the lights.
FinalRear.JPG
This is mine, using a fairly standard eBay camera centrally above the plate; you just can't see it! OK an S8 rather than RS4 but the space is very similar.
Field of view is pretty good, rear bumper at the bottom and just above horizontal at the top:
FinalView.JPG
To achieve that you will obviously need to take the boot lid apart though. Best to do that anyway even for just removal.

jonno_c
1st Gear

Post by jonno_c » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm

HPsauce wrote:I'd replace it with a better one, assuming it works and use all the existing wiring.
You'll probably be able to fit one very neatly above the numberplate in or alongside the lights.
FinalRear.JPG
This is mine, using a fairly standard eBay camera centrally above the plate; you just can't see it! OK an S8 rather than RS4 but the space is very similar.
Field of view is pretty good, rear bumper at the bottom and just above horizontal at the top:
FinalView.JPG
To achieve that you will obviously need to take the boot lid apart though. Best to do that anyway even for just removal.
Thing is it's not linked up to the nav system. It's this horrible extra TomTom screen which I hate.
I think I'm going to try and rip it all out tbh.

Nige_RS4
Cruising

Post by Nige_RS4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 am

Looks like you need to remove the number plate to see where the wires go to? You can safely snip them, insulate them and feed them back through the hole, but you might find they rattle slightly? Did the previous owner drill into the boot lid or is the camera mounted to the number plate surround? Maybe you can buy a new surround and lose the free advertising too! Once you are done, get rid of that ugly black number plate screw :)
www.speedcams.co.uk

B5 2.7t S4 - gone
B5 2.7t RS4 - gone
Ed 30 Golf DSG - gone
A5 3.0tdi - gone within 12 months!
S3 2.0 tfsi - 6+ years, but now sold
2018 Golf R 7.5

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 pm

I can see why you hate it, it's a monster!!

I had one fitted to my B7 and it was built into the boot handle so you couldn't see it unless you bent down to deliberately look at it. And it fed into my Alpine head unit so no screen attached to dash or windscreen. But if you don't mind the screen part why not try replacig the camera for a more discreet one as HPsauce has suggested?

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:35 pm

I think this is why he won't. :wink:
jcjrcottrell wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm
It's this horrible extra TomTom screen which I hate.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm

HPsauce wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:35 pm
I think this is why he won't. :wink:
jcjrcottrell wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 pm
It's this horrible extra TomTom screen which I hate.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit.

Return to “Electrical”