Wierd light and brake lights problem

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
live.marc
1st Gear

Wierd light and brake lights problem

Post by live.marc » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:50 pm

I've got a problem with my brake lights and lights on my 2003 RS6 estate

When I have my lights off, and press the brakes, everything works fine, apart from a warning light in the dash saying a bulb has blown. But all bulbs appear to be ok (apart from one back fog light not working just noticed)

But when I turn my lights on while driving, all the brake lights come on and stay on, and i lose power momentarily, and the brake light warning bulb comes on with a loud bleep. This warning repeats about every 30 seconds, it's darn annoying! Also when I press my brake peddle while in this state, my brake lights and tail lights just get a just a little brighter. ?? Can anyone work this one out???

And the car seems to be operating at less power too when this happens, until I put my foot right down - then it takes off after a short lull!

NOW the background, I have recently taken out the old sat nave and CD unit from the back of the car, as I'd had a new pioneer unit installed. Could this in any way have caused an internal computer error? Vagcom needed to recode something? As I'd also tapped a wire into the reverse light cluster at the back for my rearview camera. But even when I disconnect this it still happens exactly as above! Scratching my head on this one, can anyone throw any light (excuse the pun) on this one???? :beerchug: :boohoo:

Any help appreciated greatly! As I'm in the dark on this one, oh no, another pun!
2003 RS6 C5 Avant Black on 19's

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Wierd light and brake lights problem

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Sounds like a bad earth in the rear cluster. Try checking the earthing points around the rear cluster, maybe add an extra earth wire temporarily to see if that sorts it.

Possibly a dodgy brake light switch. It's a common fault and an easy fix.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Simon the sparky
Neutral

Post by Simon the sparky » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi,
Check and see if the sidelights are coming on when you press the brake pedal, if they are, replace both brakelight bulbs.
I've had this many times where the two filaments in the bulbs touch each other, and effectively join the circuits together.
Current: RS4 Avant B7, Range Rover 4.4, VW up!, Fiesta ST van.
Previous: A3, S3, A6 Allroad, UR quattro, Porsche 3.2, Skyline R33 GTR,
Subaru WRX,

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:29 pm

^^Good thinking.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

sulli
4th Gear

Post by sulli » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:25 pm

How did you get on with this? Have almost exact same problem on an 03 plate...
Daytona RS6 saloon, KW v3s, Hotchkiss ARBs, Milltech non res, MRC
CI Granduca Motorhome!

Return to “Electrical”