Audi RS4 B7 no microphone?

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
mikep99
4th Gear

Audi RS4 B7 no microphone?

Post by mikep99 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:29 am

Hi guys,

Just a quick question for you...

I bought my car knowing that it had previously had the seats stolen, and in doing so the interior light panel was also ripped out.
I've taken the current panel off (see picture) and it appears that the mic hasn't been replaced - there's a brown wire and a white wire that have just been taped off.
Is my assumption correct? If so, any advice on a new mic?

Thanks in advance

Mike

PetrolDave
Cruising

Re: Audi RS4 B7 no microphone?

Post by PetrolDave » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Do you have a phone module? They weren't standard fit, it was an option, and no phone module = no microphone (the Bose AudioPilot microphone is visible in your photo but that isn't used for the phone).

Try checking address 77 with VCDS (VAG-COM) to see if there is a phone module.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Dave,

My car is fitted with the kit that has the cradle in the armrest.
Also, I can connect my phone via Bluetooth to the rns-e and the phone book etc syncs. I can also make calls but the other side can't hear me.
Also, voice commands don't work.
Knowing that the roof panel had been changed, that was the first thing I looked at.
I'd like to think everything's there bar the mic?
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a VCDS without visiting a dealer.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Your Bose Audio Pilot microphone is still there.

What is missing though is the Alarm movement detector, there are two components but I think they come under one part number - 8E0951177
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Your Bose Audio Pilot microphone is still there.

What is missing though is the Alarm movement detector, there are two components but I think they come under one part number - 8E0951177
Thanks for letting me know Sam. Good job I posted a photo up!!!
There's a few on eBay so will pick one up.
Cheers

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:49 pm

mikep99 wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:Your Bose Audio Pilot microphone is still there.

Thanks for letting me know Sam. Good job I posted a photo up!!!
There's a few on eBay so will pick one up.
Cheers
No problem.

From reading what you & Dave have been discussing, it also sounds like the roof panel is missing the Bluetooth Microphone which is located on the other side of the panel you've pictured. It is betwixt the sunroof rotary controller and the main interior light switch, the mic will plug into a connector that has two wires 1) green 2) white/transparent.

Have a look in this thread to see what we mean - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59893
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Hmmm, interesting...
The only wires I could imagine being for the mic are brown & white. It looks like the connector has been cut off them.
I don't have a sunroof so would think that the unattached connector in the photo would be for that...
I'll also pick up a replacement mic and see how we get on..

Thanks again

Mike

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:00 am

OK, panic over - for me anyway :)
Found the 2 mic wires, 1 green, 1 white/transparent so will hook up the mic once it comes through the post.
It was tucked away in the headlining..
I'm still a bit confused as to what the white and brown wires are for though.
Anybody any ideas? Any other features that could be housed in the roof light panel?
The lights work as expected.
I do get a beep,beep,beep when getting into the car which I think means the Bose Audio Pilot is switched off. Could the brown and white wires have anything to do with that perhaps??

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Mike,

Appologies, I got my orientation wrong on the roof unit. Looking at this with fresh eyes today:

Brown and white wires = Bose Audi Pilot microphone (located under the alarm motion sensor).
Blue, Brown, green/red, green wired connector = Alarm motion sensor
Green, clear\white wires = Bluetooth microphone

I've attached some pictures from my own car to help you out.
DSC_0290.JPG
Roof unit complete
DSC_0292.JPG
Motion sensor unclipped to reveal Bose Mic
DSC_0289.JPG
Bluetooth microphone location

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi Sam!! Superstar!!

Thanks very much for the photos and the details.
That's cleared everything up now with regards to the wiring so I'm a happy camper :)
Doesn't look like I've got the Bose Audio pilot controller so I'll look into that as well.
Just need the parts to arrive now.

Thanks again - you've been a great help!!

Mike

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:46 pm

mikep99 wrote:Doesn't look like I've got the Bose Audio pilot controller so I'll look into that as well.
There is no separate controller for AudioPilot, just the mic in the interior light and the amp behind the RHS of the boot area.

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:55 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
mikep99 wrote:Doesn't look like I've got the Bose Audio pilot controller so I'll look into that as well.
There is no separate controller for AudioPilot, just the mic in the interior light and the amp behind the RHS of the boot area.
Ah right OK, thanks Dave.
Reading up on AudioPilot, it seems a lot of owners don't rate it and therefore disconnect it.
I think I'll leave it as is for the time being and maybe look at it in the future. Priority for the moment is getting the alarm sensors and mic in and working.

Thanks for your help

Mike

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:10 pm

mikep99 wrote:Reading up on AudioPilot, it seems a lot of owners don't rate it and therefore disconnect it.
In my experience (I've had it since 2005 on a previous S4 as well as my RS4) it only really goes awry when it's really hot - as that makes the mic not work properly so the system then makes the volume hunt rapidly up and down until the mic gets cooled down by the aircon.

In the UK especially, that's so rare that IMHO it's not an issue.

The other factor is that it changes the equalisation, which is what some audiophiles hate about it - but that's easy to disable with coding.

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:23 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
mikep99 wrote:Reading up on AudioPilot, it seems a lot of owners don't rate it and therefore disconnect it.
In my experience (I've had it since 2005 on a previous S4 as well as my RS4) it only really goes awry when it's really hot - as that makes the mic not work properly so the system then makes the volume hunt rapidly up and down until the mic gets cooled down by the aircon.

In the UK especially, that's so rare that IMHO it's not an issue.

The other factor is that it changes the equalisation, which is what some audiophiles hate about it - but that's easy to disable with coding.
Haha, yep, the heat issue definitely shouldn't be an issue in the UK. I can vouch for that...
I'll keep an eye out for an audiopilot mic and pick one up if poss.
Just pleased now that I know where the wires should be connected.

Thanks

Mike

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:32 pm

OK, mic all fitted and Bluetooth now working for the phone.
One snag though is that the incoming call ring still comes through my phone rather than through the RNS-E. This is when using a Nexus 5 (android). When using another phone (oldish Nokia), the tone comes through the RNS-E just fine.
I've done some searching but can't find a solution.
The RNS-E firmware is still 0550 so not sure if upgrading to 0650 would help?
Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Return to “Electrical”