Changing battery

Discussion forum for ICE, Security, SatNav, etc....
Madmonkee
4th Gear

Changing battery

Post by Madmonkee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 pm

B7 Rs4, will i get away with putting another battery on the front jump points whilst I swap out the battery? Or will it need coding regardless? Cheers all

PetrolDave
Cruising

Re: Changing battery

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Madmonkee wrote:B7 Rs4, will i get away with putting another battery on the front jump points whilst I swap out the battery? Or will it need coding regardless? Cheers all
No coding needed on the B7 when you change the battery as it doesn't have a battery management system, only MMI cars (i.e. B8) need coding when you change the battery.

But you will get a G85 yaw sensor fault and many control modules will log fault codes, which you'll need to reset.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Cheers Dave, easy to reset the sensor, i have Vagcom.

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Why would this happen when the system is kept "alive" The battery never went dead, it just started playing up when it got cold, so swapped it out.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Madmonkee wrote:Why would this happen when the system is kept "alive" The battery never went dead, it just started playing up when it got cold, so swapped it out.
Either the battery terminal voltage is low because of the low temperature or when you crank the engine with a battery that's on its way out the high internal resistance of the battery combined with the high current drain will drop the terminal voltage below the low voltage threshold of some modules - which will make them log fault codes.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:06 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
Madmonkee wrote:Why would this happen when the system is kept "alive" The battery never went dead, it just started playing up when it got cold, so swapped it out.
Either the battery terminal voltage is low because of the low temperature or when you crank the engine with a battery that's on its way out the high internal resistance of the battery combined with the high current drain will drop the terminal voltage below the low voltage threshold of some modules - which will make them log fault codes.
This is what happened on my B6 - as I turned the key to turn the starter motor, everything reset. RNSE wanted code, clock flashed 00:00 hours 01.01.2000 (or similar) etc etc. Only thing on the dash that lit was clock and mileage - plus DIS lit up like a Christmas tree saying 'NO OIL'. No speedo, rev counter, dash lights etc etc. Immediately hooked up to a battery charger, and managed to get the car started after charge, but the damage was already done.

If you have jump leads, it can only be a good thing to swap batteries without ever disconnecting the power from the car
B5 B6 B7 B9

Madmonkee
4th Gear

Post by Madmonkee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:13 pm

Update: jump leads onto front jump points and a slave battery. Remove old battery, new one in, connect up. Jump leads off, all good!! Drove to work and back (45 mins each way) no errors as yet. I've not had time to plug her in to check anything hidden.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Excellent, good stuff!
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “Electrical”