How to wash your car

https://www.facebook.com/AutoMeticulous/ - Hampshire based personal car detailing service tailored to you and your cars needs.
Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: How to wash your car

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:15 pm

I like the sound of that. :thumbs:
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Mɐʇʇ
Top Gear

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Did you stay the same hose bore size?
partymonkey wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm
One suggestion on the pressure washer side of things... I replaced the supplied 10m plastic cased hose on my Nilfisk with a 25m rubber hose so that I can leave the pressure washer connected up in the garage and still get around the whole of the car on the drive. This removed the need to keep moving the washer and getting in the inevitable tangle with the leccy cable and feeder hose pipe.

Bit more of a PITA to store mind but worth it for ease of washing and also the original hose wound up on the fitted spool on the washer itself just ended up being a coiled annoyance when you came to use it!
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

Mɐʇʇ
Top Gear

Post by Mɐʇʇ » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:43 pm

Best machine I ever had was a proper industrial steam cleaner I bought off ebay. Far too big to lift/move/store.
When it worked it was awesome - but much like your experiance, once it got old, I spent too much time flushing the crud out of the pipes, replacing bits and so forth.
It became a project just to get it to work for a day to steam clean something.

The other learning from owning that was I don't like steam cleaning engine bays. They look shiny in the short term, but removing all the oil is bad, they rust more. So I now use a paraffin gun plugged into the air compressor for cleaning engine bays.
Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:01 am
Cool. Confirms my desire to get a Nilfisk. It won't get intensive use, but I like them to be powerful and last for a very long time. The one that just expired is more than 20 years old and I could probably repair it for the Nth time, but you get to a point where you spend more time repairing these things than using them.
"not a professional engineer, mechanic and mechanist"

partymonkey
Neutral

Post by partymonkey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:59 pm

Mɐʇʇ wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:39 pm
Did you stay the same hose bore size?
partymonkey wrote:
One suggestion on the pressure washer side of things... I replaced the supplied 10m plastic cased hose on my Nilfisk with a 25m rubber hose so that I can leave the pressure washer connected up in the garage and still get around the whole of the car on the drive. This removed the need to keep moving the washer and getting in the inevitable tangle with the leccy cable and feeder hose pipe.

Bit more of a PITA to store mind but worth it for ease of washing and also the original hose wound up on the fitted spool on the washer itself just ended up being a coiled annoyance when you came to use it!
I honestly have no idea. I simply looked for a 25m hose rated and suitable for my particular model of Nilfisk. From the markings on the hose, it would suggest a 1/4" bore (or that might the connector size!)
Jon - RS4 B9

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:08 am

So I bought a Nilfisk E 150.2-9 X-TRA and I absolutely love it. It's already had intensive use cleaning about 200m2 of wooden decking, which it did flawlessly.

Not cheap, but it feels like a great quality bit of kit. Powerful and I love that everything just reels back in and you can transport it all together as a block. Bonus, my old Kew accessories fit. Makes my little Karcher look like a children's toy.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

ChrisA
Site Sponsor

Post by ChrisA » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:08 am
So I bought a Nilfisk E 150.2-9 X-TRA and I absolutely love it. It's already had intensive use cleaning about 200m2 of wooden decking, which it did flawlessly.

Not cheap, but it feels like a great quality bit of kit. Powerful and I love that everything just reels back in and you can transport it all together as a block. Bonus, my old Kew accessories fit. Makes my little Karcher look like a children's toy.
😎

The only thing my Karcher K7 is missing is rewindable stowage for the hose. Fortunately the hose does detach easily and has a convenient hook to house the hose. I think in all honesty my Karcher is probably more compact and a better fit in the boot without the hose reel.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm

partymonkey wrote:
I replaced the supplied 10m plastic cased hose on my Nilfisk with a 25m rubber hose so that I can leave the pressure washer connected up in the garage and still get around the whole of the car on the drive.
Now that's a good idea, it inspired me today. :thumbs:
By Karcher came with only a 6m hose so I'm always lugging it around, and it's a screw fitting at the pump end and the Karcher bayonet at the lance.

Found a 10M extension hose on Amazon for just £24 which has a double-ended Karcher female connector, a hanging loop and an adapter for the pump end too.
So I can now use the original 6m, the new 10m or both together for 16m, which is enough for my needs. 8)

This thing if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0987PBTPL

Return to “Auto Meticulous”