Alternator Fault

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 591 bhp
mikeyw
2nd Gear

Re: Alternator Fault

Post by mikeyw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:44 pm

Really appreciate the help - had been told there were none in uk or Germany and no eta. Plus 30 on back order and car specific. I think some calls will be happening tomorrow although my dealer had indicated parts were scheduled late last week/early this.

I’m in that place again where can I trust the car ? Wife isn’t keen and says she wouldn’t want to do a long drive anywhere or a shirt drive with our dogs. Which makes the car useless to us really if she won’t trust it. For me I’m 7 weeks without my dream car and I’m just fed up by it. Test drive another marque but it’s unsuitable as a daily drive so I’m a bit stuck as to where to go with the issue

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Car still off the road unfixed - anyone any experience of similar circumstances? How long should I be expected to wait ? Singularly unimpressive from Audi

charlie360
Neutral

Post by charlie360 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:58 pm

When I had mis-fire problems my C8 was on and off the road with the dealer for around 4 months, Audi UK also singularly dis-interested, kept referring to the fact that my contract was with the dealer - made my mind up that it's my 4th and last Audi RS6 based upon their attitude, all I can say is good luck.

Michael_JCWS
2nd Gear

Post by Michael_JCWS » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:54 am

What dealership are you with?

Have you written to Andrew Doyle directly?
Current:
2023 RS6 C8 Performance carbon black Vorsprung- Daytona grey

Most recent
2020 RS6 C8 Vorsprung- Nardo grey
2017 RS6 C7 Performance - Daytona grey
2014 BMW M5 F10 - Monte Carlo blue

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:58 am

Just got it back - not a great experience from the dealer and the missing wheel weights on both front wheels from its time on the low loader are annoying. What’s worse is that 7 days back and a bunch of new faults appeared - sos system failure, main beam failure and both headlights showing as failed. Currently at a different dealership as all trust in the original has gone. No contact from Audi since Tuesday despite assurances of a call back. Can’t believe I’m actually thinking of ordering a replacement but there is precision little I’d want to drive despite the experience with this one - they aren’t all bad - are they ?.............

Yes I’ve written repeatedly to Andrew Doyle and demanded a call with him - he’s non customer facing I’m told.

Original dealer was in the cotswolds but I’m now having help from Stratford Audi who are excellent and very up for trying to get a resolution. I just don’t know what that’s going to look like yet.

Ultimately I love the car I just don’t love this car.....

Michael_JCWS
2nd Gear

Post by Michael_JCWS » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Any update on this fuster cluck of customer services?
Current:
2023 RS6 C8 Performance carbon black Vorsprung- Daytona grey

Most recent
2020 RS6 C8 Vorsprung- Nardo grey
2017 RS6 C7 Performance - Daytona grey
2014 BMW M5 F10 - Monte Carlo blue

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:10 pm

Car gone.

A gesture of “goodwill” agreed from Audi UK.

Replacement ordered should get it mid to end of next week......I must be part crazed but having considered all things it is still the best car if I want to run just one car. It is a great car it’s just that one wasn’t.....the next one is blue, that’s got to be good.....

nardors6
Neutral

Post by nardors6 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:47 pm

Great to have stumbled across this forum, as have exactly the same alternator fault on my '70 plate C8. Broke down in a very dangerous place after all the same warning lights came on and car's been in Audi Portsmouth for 4 weeks now. The part turned up last Saturday after comical confirmations that it was on its way. I was also told that its an RS6 specific alternator and 8 were sent to the UK with mine last week (so this is happening a lot). Very concerned that the mechanic has spent 2 days replacing the alternator - does anyone know how much of the car gets pulled apart and is that something in itself to be worried about? Due to collect the car tomorrow, but not at all convinced about future reliability and will be looking to ditch before Xmas as had enough. Considering a Jag F-Pace SVR or maybe go back to 911s. Just wouldn't risk a new RS6 or even RSQ8. Audi UK were just not interested - my first contact with customer service said to me "we dont make the car, we're just the importer" - what an absolute joke after spending £120k with Audi. My dream car turned out to be a nightmare.

lee551247
Neutral

Post by lee551247 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:49 pm

nardors6 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Great to have stumbled across this forum, as have exactly the same alternator fault on my '70 plate C8. Broke down in a very dangerous place after all the same warning lights came on and car's been in Audi Portsmouth for 4 weeks now. The part turned up last Saturday after comical confirmations that it was on its way. I was also told that its an RS6 specific alternator and 8 were sent to the UK with mine last week (so this is happening a lot). Very concerned that the mechanic has spent 2 days replacing the alternator - does anyone know how much of the car gets pulled apart and is that something in itself to be worried about? Due to collect the car tomorrow, but not at all convinced about future reliability and will be looking to ditch before Xmas as had enough. Considering a Jag F-Pace SVR or maybe go back to 911s. Just wouldn't risk a new RS6 or even RSQ8. Audi UK were just not interested - my first contact with customer service said to me "we dont make the car, we're just the importer" - what an absolute joke after spending £120k with Audi. My dream car turned out to be a nightmare.
I had exactly the same problem as you with a 70 plate RS6, took them 6 weeks to get an alternator and do it, got told the same story's that the alternator was in the UK but up north but it then took a week to get to the dealer. Audi customer service is rubbish, I have had 1000 times better customer service with Landrover than Audi, they told me the same quote about they are just the importer too! When the alternator went they tried to give me a 19 plate BMW 420d from enterprise as they didn't have any courtesy cars as big as Audi is! Ended up getting a Volvo XC90 as a courtesy car from enterprise! If they have no courtesy cars it just shows how reliable their products are!

nardors6
Neutral

Post by nardors6 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Updating in case other RS6 C8 owners have had similar experiences. I waited 5 weeks for a new alternator and now have a residual fault with the same warning lights coming on (strangely after the car has been washed). Took back to dealership and no fault found. Happened again today, but fault lights clear themselves after leaving the car for a bit. Sent videos to dealership and now waiting for response. Car OK apart from this, but not exactly ideal and losing patience.

charlie360
Neutral

Post by charlie360 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:02 pm

I too have experienced the Audi UK customer service and would concur that it is terrible, my C8 spent most of last winter with an intermittent misfire and back and forth to dealer pretty much every month until the weather warmed and dried up a bit and the problem seemed to go away, only for it to return recently (I guess it's this weather?) but goign back to the dealer next week for potentially another month - I don't think it's the alternator, but potentially something ignition related, just wish Audi would show some interest in supporting the dealer to sort it out - it's one thing having a problem, all manufacturers do from time to time, but it's the accompanying attitdue that they just don't care about it that I find really irritating.....

RSPJN
Neutral

Post by RSPJN » Mon May 15, 2023 8:38 pm

My 2021 RS6 C8 has just had the same alternator failure
Electrical system fault light and sport differential light came on.
Car has been recovered back to Audi dealership who have ordered a new alternator. Waiting for a call on how long that will take. This is obviously a problem as a lot of C8’s have had the same issue

Mac08
Neutral

Post by Mac08 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:54 am

It’s not getting any better with this issue, I’ve got my 70 plate laid up now with the alternator on back order, it’s been in the garage 4 times in 12 months with warning light issues and faults. Add in Maintainance and return for parts I think it’s 7 or 8 trips to the dealer in 12 months. Who’s got the time for that these days.

What’s the alternatives. It’s the perfect all rounder.

Return to “RS6 (C8 Typ 5G) 2019-”