Alternator Fault

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 591 bhp
mikeyw
2nd Gear

Alternator Fault

Post by mikeyw » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:50 am

Howdy, so a year and 19000 miles on from being stranded on the m5 I found myself similarly stuck on the exit slip of the m25 when the car gave up the ghost.

Definitely not a fuel tank fault this time !

Yellow electrical fault with engine start fault and sport diff fault but call to dealer told ok to drive but bring it in next day to check. Followed within 20 mins by red electrical fault and before I could get to safety, complete shut down just before the top of the exit slip from the m25. Typical to end up nearest the longest off slip on the planet.

Audi Assist useless - stranded for almost 2 hours so arranged local private recovery from a brilliant guy from Surrey recovery.

At least I didn’t break down on the channel tunnel train which was where I’d come from....

Now back at the dealer after 3 different recovery vehicles assistance where they say the alternator is faulty. Parts on back order no eta at present. Audi assist car rental partners have no estate cars and are trying to find me something that can accommodate my dogs.

Overall I cannot say I feel Audi assist is anything other than a useless shower and Audi uk currently demonstrating an expected lack of support.

Anyone got an alternator for a c8 rs6 around as right now looks like our French road trip holiday next week is off.....

charlie360
Neutral

Re: Alternator Fault

Post by charlie360 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi Mike, I feel for you having also had fuel problem faults and dealt with both Audi UK and Audi assist, both of whom demonstarted a level of disinterest, over the several months it took to apparently resolve the problem I had with my C8 RS6 - suffice to say it'll be my last Audi - sorry not to be able to help further, other than to say, hopefully they'll get things sorted for you asap.

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:05 am

charlie360 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:48 pm
Hi Mike, I feel for you having also had fuel problem faults and dealt with both Audi UK and Audi assist, both of whom demonstarted a level of disinterest, over the several months it took to apparently resolve the problem I had with my C8 RS6 - suffice to say it'll be my last Audi - sorry not to be able to help further, other than to say, hopefully they'll get things sorted for you asap.
Appreciate the thoughts - I’ve tried to contact the Audi uk MD but I’m currently dealing with someone who is ‘fully authorised to act on his behalf” Nothing like the personal touch to install confidence in a brand.....if clients contact me as MD I reply, personally. I don’t get why Audi can’t follow the same simple common sense.....7 days tomorrow since the fault 2 lots of personal plans cancelled as the loan car simply isn’t suitable - not sure what my next move should be

charlie360
Neutral

Post by charlie360 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:43 pm

Personally, I'd asked the fully authorised person to allow you to speak to the MD, just so you can explain the frustration in person and if they still don't have the time, then perhaps they've given you the answer as to what to do next, given your inconvenience.....
My problem was not dissimilar at Christmas, wishing to take the car to the Alps with my winter wheels and no, they and the dealer didn't wish to lend me one of their RS6s to put the wheels on and I could either cancel the trip or risk a breakdown, since the car had European breakdown cover........

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:16 am

So had to cancel the current holiday plans - no parts yet and I can’t take the loan car out of the uk apparently. Parts hopefully due in about 10 days. Not happy especially when using google I find a number of other similar issues and Audi tell me they have 30 alternators on back order.

I came close to rejecting the car not long after collection - and more checking now shows that US RS6’s have had a safety recall with the precise failure we had last year.......

Overall now feeling pretty fed up - my wife deeply unhappy about the holiday and I’m wondering why I bought the car at all.

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:45 am

If you covered the loan car on your own policy would they still be unwilling ?
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

charlie360
Neutral

Post by charlie360 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:58 pm

It's one thing having the problems in the first place and I accept that every manufacturer has failures, it's quite another thing when it comes to how they resolve those problems and treat the customer - if they try to remove as much pain from the experience as they can, which in my case Audi UK seemed disinterested in doing, with a "not really their problem" attitude. I wished I'd never got out of my C7 RS6s into a C8, but we live and learn.......

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:09 am

I’m kind of feeling like that too - had 2 cracking c7’s one stolen and then one I part exchanged for the c8.

Good point on the insure the rental myself but the loaner isn’t great and to be frank I don’t really fancy a 2000km round trip in an under powered underwhelming Volvo suv! Just makes the no rs6 feel even more frustrating.

I’ve an old legacy spec b I was hoping might just get bs k on the road but sadly it’s still being sorted for the mot but I may use that as my dog car again and move the rs6 on. But if I did I don’t know what I’d buy - frustrating as the 6 is probably the perfect car just let down by Audi !

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:02 am

Sucks! Is it on finance? Would the finance company not get involved as your car has been off the road for so long and no fixed date for return. I dont know as i never finance cars. Just throwing ideas out
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:42 pm

I have the finance company involved now and the dealership. There’s still no firm date for the parts and I’m getting bothered about just how long this is dragging on with my car off the road and a poor manufacturer. The only up side at present is we are away, obviously not as planned with the car and did manage to rent a car - lucky to get anything at such short notice - the twingo is an interesting change from the rs!

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:31 am

Well they do say a hire car is the fastest car on the planet
A6 BiTdi Avant

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:18 am

Still no parts and no running RS6. 6 weeks give or take which is less than impressive and completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Still in the hired xc60!

Has anyone else had this level of time off the road with their C8 or have I just been monumentally unlucky with 2 major breakdowns?

I’ve started seriously looking for other cars but despite everything there’s nothing that I can see that suites my needs like the RS6.

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:33 am

I think that is really unacceptable. Audi do not seem to making enough effort to get this fixed for you. I have called TPS regarding availability but my contact was not in and the adviser could only quote the usual 7-10 day delivery.
This unit is not specific to the RS models. its also fitted to the A6/7 model with the 6 cyl diesel engine. If they really cared they would pull one out of another car and get you mobile. Its been done before so why not do it now?
They must know about the issue with these as ive seen a few have had to be replaced
A6 BiTdi Avant

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:54 pm

morski wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:33 am
I think that is really unacceptable. Audi do not seem to making enough effort to get this fixed for you. I have called TPS regarding availability but my contact was not in and the adviser could only quote the usual 7-10 day delivery.
This unit is not specific to the RS models. its also fitted to the A6/7 model with the 6 cyl diesel engine. If they really cared they would pull one out of another car and get you mobile. Its been done before so why not do it now?
They must know about the issue with these as ive seen a few have had to be replaced
I was told the part is rs6 specific - and there are 30 on order which would say to be a pretty substantial issue..... when you say you know of other failures is this on rs6?

Hacked off and have tested a couple of other cars but neither are the rs6.....

Appreciate the help !

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:53 pm

Defo not specific to RS6. fits 3.0 tdi as well. Just spoke to my contact at TPS and there are 2 available at dealers , Warrington and Leeds. Might still be there but worth calling them yourself to confirm first and then rip into your repairing dealer to get it transferred to them. Worth a shot
A6 BiTdi Avant

Return to “RS6 (C8 Typ 5G) 2019-”