New RS6 Gripes - any thoughts?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 591 bhp
mulgeman
Neutral

New RS6 Gripes - any thoughts?

Post by mulgeman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:31 pm

HI folks, picked up my new RS6 CB Edition around 8 weeks ago. there are many things I love about this car, however, I wanted to canvas opinion on a couple of things that are really annoying me and hopefully it's a configurable setting somewhere I am missing...

1. Lane Assist. Even when cruise control not engaged, if I try to move lanes on the motorway/bypass without indicating - it will try and "tug" me back into the lane. Now this is a good feature for road safety... I get the purpose, but when I go through a contraflow for example it drives me nuts pulling the car anytime I go over temp lanes. Is there a way to turn this off?

2. This is the biggest one for me. I am getting a stiff steering wheel pull when going into a corner on a B road for example which is REALLY off putting. It pulls in the direction of the corner, does not do it all the time and seems to be no real pattern to it on type of corner or speed. Is this the Quattro, 4 wheel steer or diff or some sort of "soft" setting I can't seem to find? It's really ruining the steering feel and confidence in corner placement for me when pushing the car to have some fun in it.

Anyone else have similar experiences or have any insight?

Cheers.

mattwez378
Neutral

Re: New RS6 Gripes - any thoughts?

Post by mattwez378 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi Mulgeman,

The lane assist is turned off using the button on the end of the indicator stalk, this will remove the car and lane symbol from the bottom right of the display below the speedo.

I would suggest that the steering feel issue is also attributed to the lane assist if this is still on, as it will be hunting for the lane, and if it picks up the opposite side of the road markings it will put you in the centre of the road. If turning it off doesnt help then the weight of the steering can be adjusted in the Editing of the RS mode options. I personally haven't had any issues with the steering but Audi pre-sense is a bit too safe for some country lanes I drive down!

mulgeman
Neutral

Post by mulgeman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks, makes sense (excuse the pun!) - will give this a try. Do you need to turn this off every time from the stalk - or will it remember the setting for next startup?

mattwez378
Neutral

Post by mattwez378 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:48 pm

It remembers the setting thankfully as that would get boring very quickly!

HDPete
3rd Gear

Post by HDPete » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:49 am

The wheel tug is definitely the lane assist. It is not good on anything other than Major roads. The only exception to this is when it’s hd the wheels freshly aligned, then it behaves, but it doesn’t last long

mulgeman
Neutral

Post by mulgeman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:52 am

Brilliant - this was exactly the problem... transformed the car! Thanks gents.

mattwez378
Neutral

Post by mattwez378 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:43 am

Glad it solved the issue, must have been a horror to drive before turning that off!

Leeadam
Neutral

Post by Leeadam » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:32 pm

well lane assist is there to keep you in lane, i like it, to avoid it tugging you back over you just use indicators when changing lane ...simple, then it deactivates trying to pull you back in lane as you are making a manoeuvre confirmed by use of indicators, the car then knows to deactivate it for the split seconds you are crossing lanes, WOW im gathering no one here uses indicators here lol. :shock: Thats the whole point, you should indicate before a lane change, if you drive as you should theres zero issues with it being dangerous...not indicating is the only dangerous thing.Being a biker im so strict on indication before any manoeuvre anyway
Current
2020 RS7 C8 Vorsprung - QST Stage two, Miltek Catless downpipes, 770bhp+ 1100nm, Eventuri intake, KW HAS spring kit

Previous
2019 F90 M5 Competition - Stage 1
2019 M4 Competition - Stage 2

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Leeadam wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:32 pm
well lane assist is there to keep you in lane, i like it, to avoid it tugging you back over you just use indicators when changing lane ...simple, then it deactivates trying to pull you back in lane as you are making a manoeuvre confirmed by use of indicators, the car then knows to deactivate it for the split seconds you are crossing lanes, WOW im gathering no one here uses indicators here lol. :shock: Thats the whole point, you should indicate before a lane change, if you drive as you should theres zero issues with it being dangerous...not indicating is the only dangerous thing.Being a biker im so strict on indication before any manoeuvre anyway
No, the steering wheel is there to keep you in lane not the lane assist. If you can't keep your car in the middle of the lane without lane assist then you shouldn't really be driving a car. Did you read the first post properly? He said it was annoying when changing lanes due to roadworks. I'll give you an example. You have come to some roadworks. You have to wait at the temporary traffic lights before you can cross lanes onto the other side of the road. As it is just short term road works the road markings haven't been changed as is common practice. As you cross onto the other side of the road the lane assist is trying to steer you into the roadworks. You could indicate at this point to stop it but it could be misleading if there was also a turning on right. Then at the end you have to steer back onto the left to get back onto the correct side of the road, again with the lane assist trying to steer you into the group of cars waiting at the traffic lights coming the other way. If you indicate left it falsely lets the driver waiting at the junction ahead on the left that you are turning into the junction and he pulls out on you. Crash. Your fault for indicating left when going staight. Or you could just press the button on the end of the stalk to turn it off and use the steering wheel to keep you in the right lane and not make judgements about how people are not indicating and letting everyone know you are a more considerate driver than them.

velocity
Neutral

Post by velocity » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:23 am

The Audi Pre-Sense was set to max on my RS6.. I was turning at a light and usually turn a bit early as the remaining last opposing car is coming towards me. The pre-sense completely locked up the brakes thinking I was going to hit the oncoming car. Freaked the crap out of me and left me sitting in the middle of the intersection for a few seconds before I realized what happened. i've turned down the pre-sense to the lowest setting now. What was mentioned by Mulgeman with the lane assist bugged me too. i couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I just realized and found the engine idle button this week as well. All other Audi's have a physical button, this one is in the bottom menu on the favorites bar.

Return to “RS6 (C8 Typ 5G) 2019-”