Complete loss of power on new RS6

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 591 bhp
chunky79
Cruising

Re: Complete loss of power on new RS6

Post by chunky79 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:01 am

I'm still shocked you didn't think there was something strange going on when you'd done almost 500 miles on a tank of fuel in an RS6, and it still said 180 miles left.

Hope you get the outcome you want.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

don0301
4th Gear

Post by don0301 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am

mikeyw wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 pm
I’ll put an update on once we’ve got through this next bit. Getting a bit messy and my lawyers are involved now so best I keep my own council. I’m still hoping for a positive outcome
For a car running out of fuel?
Ferrari 488 Spider
C6 RS6
E46 M3 convertible
Nissan 200sx mk 2
Vauxhall Senator
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Vauxhall Belmont SRi
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
1st car Datsun 120 FII Lime green....yeah :shock:

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Been there, you trust the gauge and don't think it through. Losing power on the motorway isn't the most fun experience also.
That being said, if the car is OK otherwise I'd probably keep it. I'd assume it's lawyers because the dealer /Audi don't want to take back the car (they have a right to repair) and pay back the full purchase amount (they sadly are within their rights there, too). I once returned three MB in a row and got shafted for use as well - still better than keeping the respective cars.

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 am

drhex wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:22 pm
Been there, you trust the gauge and don't think it through. Losing power on the motorway isn't the most fun experience also.
That being said, if the car is OK otherwise I'd probably keep it. I'd assume it's lawyers because the dealer /Audi don't want to take back the car (they have a right to repair) and pay back the full purchase amount (they sadly are within their rights there, too). I once returned three MB in a row and got shafted for use as well - still better than keeping the respective cars.
Within the first 30 days a vehicle that was delivered faulty does not fall within the right to repair. I can reject it.

Yes you trust the gauge and computer system since there is no visual check. The fuel tank, measurement and supply system were faulty on delivery. The entire system is being replaced following instructions from the factory.

I collected a brand new car, drove home. Next day drove to the south coast for our first holiday in 18 months, parking the car and not using it for 3 days. You get back in the car and what’s the first thing you do ? Check the fuel (ok no put on 6 music!!) check Waze and the distance back and I think cool I don’t need to fill up yet.

So, yes it ran out of fuel, yes ordinarily in a car you know and on consecutive drives I’d say yes you’d be thinking maybe heh they sure have improved the economy on this over the c7. But did I think for a second it was a faulty system nope.

I’m not sure I could have been expected to. But I sure as hell will be filling any car I own going forward at a very different interval.

There is more to it though - recovery was shambolic. Poorly managed, delayed and unprofessional. All admitted by Audi or rather the AA who operate assist. Mind you they won’t talk to you afterwards but it’s ok as the £40 compensation is perfect against the near death experience on the motorway.

Maybe it’s just me and maybe I’ve overly high expectations from a global car company having bought one of their premium models but their customer services is unfit for purpose, and they simply follow a script. Assist are worse with them not even getting the car right on the complaint plus a bunch of other errors but then saying they have closed their file. After exposing me to huge risk on the motorway and arriving to recover a car they can’t actually get out of park or pull up onto their vehicle - Audi assist my arse.

Unpacking and dismantling my dog cages from the boot while the patrol sat in his van because he doesn’t have the tools having waited 2 hours for them to arrive whilst in the pissing rain really wasn’t what I was expecting. They agree it wasn’t acceptable but when I’ve asked for copies of the SLA’s and operational parameters they won’t respond. Maybe I’m unreasonable but I just wanted to know what you should expect.

And a car on its third drive that then needs an entire new fuel tank and associated system - and has been off the road for over 3 weeks - I don’t know maybe it’s me but it just feels totally wrong. Brand new - and all the joy has gone. Maybe I need to get over myself but I just want Audi to give a <beep> and treat me as a human being. The dealer get it but Audi simply don’t. This need not have escalated but Audi allowed it to. Oh and the AA get this - I can take the issue to independent arbitration but guess what, whilst that’s my right they won’t actually participate. And Audi tell me that the motor industry ombudsman is who my next stop is.

So I’m pissed off and furious - and I’m not going away without an unholy fight to get my money back which legally I am fully entitled to.

And breath ....

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:52 am

mikeyw wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 am
drhex wrote:
Within the first 30 days a vehicle that was delivered faulty does not fall within the right to repair. I can reject it.

Yes you trust the gauge and computer system since there is no visual check. The fuel tank, measurement and supply system were faulty on delivery. The entire system is being replaced following instructions from the factory.

I collected a brand new car, drove home. Next day drove to the south coast for our first holiday in 18 months, parking the car and not using it for 3 days. You get back in the car and what’s the first thing you do ? Check the fuel (ok no put on 6 music!!) check Waze and the distance back and I think cool I don’t need to fill up yet.

So, yes it ran out of fuel, yes ordinarily in a car you know and on consecutive drives I’d say yes you’d be thinking maybe heh they sure have improved the economy on this over the c7. But did I think for a second it was a faulty system nope.

I’m not sure I could have been expected to. But I sure as hell will be filling any car I own going forward at a very different interval.

There is more to it though - recovery was shambolic. Poorly managed, delayed and unprofessional. All admitted by Audi or rather the AA who operate assist. Mind you they won’t talk to you afterwards but it’s ok as the £40 compensation is perfect against the near death experience on the motorway.

Maybe it’s just me and maybe I’ve overly high expectations from a global car company having bought one of their premium models but their customer services is unfit for purpose, and they simply follow a script. Assist are worse with them not even getting the car right on the complaint plus a bunch of other errors but then saying they have closed their file. After exposing me to huge risk on the motorway and arriving to recover a car they can’t actually get out of park or pull up onto their vehicle - Audi assist my arse.

Unpacking and dismantling my dog cages from the boot while the patrol sat in his van because he doesn’t have the tools having waited 2 hours for them to arrive whilst in the pissing rain really wasn’t what I was expecting. They agree it wasn’t acceptable but when I’ve asked for copies of the SLA’s and operational parameters they won’t respond. Maybe I’m unreasonable but I just wanted to know what you should expect.

And a car on its third drive that then needs an entire new fuel tank and associated system - and has been off the road for over 3 weeks - I don’t know maybe it’s me but it just feels totally wrong. Brand new - and all the joy has gone. Maybe I need to get over myself but I just want Audi to give a <beep> and treat me as a human being. The dealer get it but Audi simply don’t. This need not have escalated but Audi allowed it to. Oh and the AA get this - I can take the issue to independent arbitration but guess what, whilst that’s my right they won’t actually participate. And Audi tell me that the motor industry ombudsman is who my next stop is.

So I’m pissed off and furious - and I’m not going away without an unholy fight to get my money back which legally I am fully entitled to.

And breath ....
So it did only run out of fuel then.

The AA guy not helping you unpack the boot, I wouldn't have helped you either. If something got damaged, then you'd have a right to complain about that, he's there to diagnose the fault.

Yeah, you got bad luck with a car, brand new or not.
How many miles had the car done on the tank of fuel? Be interested to know how much the economy has been improved over the C7 you had.

How many miles has the car done?

If its just the fuel tank sender faulty, I'd take the car back. I get you were tired the day it happened and was pretty annoyed, but the rest is just a bit extreme imo.

As said before, hope you get the outcome you want, but if you don't what are you going to do?
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:30 pm

In these days everyone trust in electronic gauge, me too on c7 never think that it can get faulty
Hope you will get it sorted, good luck

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 pm

How many miles/km can you get on a tank of fuel in your C7?
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:52 am
mikeyw wrote:
drhex wrote:

And breath ....
So it did only run out of fuel then.

The AA guy not helping you unpack the boot, I wouldn't have helped you either. If something got damaged, then you'd have a right to complain about that, he's there to diagnose the fault.

Yeah, you got bad luck with a car, brand new or not.
How many miles had the car done on the tank of fuel? Be interested to know how much the economy has been improved over the C7 you had.

How many miles has the car done?

If its just the fuel tank sender faulty, I'd take the car back. I get you were tired the day it happened and was pretty annoyed, but the rest is just a bit extreme imo.

As said before, hope you get the outcome you want, but if you don't what are you going to do?
Audi have replaced the fuel tanks and, as far I as currently understand, the fuel monitoring system.

Yes it ran out of fuel. But it’s a vital information system we all rely on. Yes we all should be aware of the likely car range but if you read my reply I’d hope you have some appreciation as to why it wasn’t that simple.

It’s really been a whole series of matters that were poorly dealt with. The AA I’m sorry but you do not stand by and let someone move a cumbersome and heavy item from the boot of the car- especially when you as Audi assist should have the tools to tow the car you e had 2 hours to get to. The AA do agree with many of the points I made. Sadly they won’t actually respond to my genuine questions over what an Audi driver can expect from
Audi assurance - but their offer of a payment due to their failures speaks volumes to me.

And he didn’t even try and diagnose the fault - just said oh a 21 plate rs6 should not break down…and waited for me to provide the tools he should be equipped with to recover my car.

The AA state he did not help due to covid risk, not any rusk of a claim for damage. He ‘could not enter the vehicle’ - only he sat in the drivers seat trying to start it…,,Just some <beep> humanity would have helped - I’m 2 feet from the live m5 trying to speed up getting myself and my wife out of danger. The bloke sent to help isn’t. But covid or not we still had to get in his van when he had no screen or mask. It’s Bollox service.

The economy of the new one verses the old one - well I’ve no real idea as it was really still the first drive - but seems to be significantly better than the c7. When the car is saying 180 miles to go what would you really think given it’s 3 days since you drove it?

And none of the diagnostics showed a fuel issue - how could there be such a significant single point of failure ?

The response of audi to queries more than complaints has escalated this situation - I am sick of it and almost month on of not having my lovely new car to drive - i personally don’t feel it’s an equitable or acceptable situation. But I have been accused of starting a fight in an empty room so maybe it’s me

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 pm

mikeyw wrote:
Interesting this is different in Germany, they have two repairs there and you can return after. AA is absolutely useless, got stranded in Scotland with my McL and a defect valve core - they came after an hour and didn't have a valve core. Said they would have to trailer the car to the next McL Shop in Glasgow for this. Did borrow a core from a spare tire from a nice Audi owner at the filling station in the end. So this isn't limited to Audi - maybe they should not outsource this service...

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 pm

drhex wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 pm
mikeyw wrote:
Interesting this is different in Germany, they have two repairs there and you can return after. AA is absolutely useless, got stranded in Scotland with my McL and a defect valve core - they came after an hour and didn't have a valve core. Said they would have to trailer the car to the next McL Shop in Glasgow for this. Did borrow a core from a spare tire from a nice Audi owner at the filling station in the end. So this isn't limited to Audi - maybe they should not outsource this service...
Totally agree - they outsource yet seem to retain zero control of the quality but like to pass 100 percent of the accountability to the contractor. It’s all pretty broken to my mind. I’d just like an idea of what they have defined as an appropriate service level for their contractors but they can’t or won’t answer despite writing directly to their MD,

I don’t have a great tolerance for unaccountable corporations operating scripted computer says no call centres where just a modicum of empathy and understanding might actually sort the issue. The more corporate Bollox they use the more I’m determined to battle it

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:52 am

Mike, after hearing more about the AA service you received/ didn't receive, yes it sounds appalling! But again, I wouldn't have helped you unload your car, why should he?
Er, you saying if the car says 180 miles left of fuel in the tank why would you question it after 3 days of not driving it? The mileage doesn't change when you park it up, if you'd already done around say 400 miles on it, you've done that mileage! How many miles did you get out of a tank in your C7? Serious question.

If the car hadn't run out of fuel/ had this fault, would you have been 100% happy with the car? If yes, I would just take the car back and try and get a good servicing package as someone suggested above.
If you do win this battle with you lawyers then good on you. What car you going to go for next? I guess your a fan of the brand after the last 2 cars?

If you do get the car rejected, could you put some info of the car up on here please just incase its next owner has issues as well. Just the colour and trim level would help down the line.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 am

mikeyw wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Totally agree - they outsource yet seem to retain zero control of the quality but like to pass 100 percent of the accountability to the contractor. It’s all pretty broken to my mind. I’d just like an idea of what they have defined as an appropriate service level for their contractors but they can’t or won’t answer despite writing directly to their MD,

I don’t have a great tolerance for unaccountable corporations operating scripted computer says no call centres where just a modicum of empathy and understanding might actually sort the issue. The more corporate Bollox they use the more I’m determined to battle it
Think it also is a problem of training/exposure. Had to call them to start my McL due to empty battery another time and got a really good guy who was very knowledgeable and able to fix the issue on the spot - but as he said this was around London where he gets to work on the cars constantly. Up in Scotland they probably don't see one for years (should still have valve cores...). Also, depends a lot on the individual. If I was doing this work I'd have the general spares on my van no matter if AA supplies them or not.

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 pm

I think you really need to think about the outcome you want and whether it is achievable and how much time, money and effort and most of all stress you will endure. Audi wont even care about all this and know that an odd case wont tarnish their brand name. I doubt they will even turn up to court if it goes that far.
Maybe cut your losses and get a deal ie service or warranty extension etc from your dealer and enjoy the car that you are paying for. Get an alternative breakdown service package yourself. If it breaks down again set fire to it and blame audi for not fixing the fuel issue properly lol (only joking)
Imho materialistic things do not warrant the headache. Move on if you can
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 pm

drhex wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 am
If I was doing this work I'd have the general spares on my van no matter if AA supplies them or not.
General spares for what brands? What models?
Do you realise how many manufacturers there are, how many models there are and how many parts are in cars?
You'd have to have an artic lorry! It's impossible to do that.
Plus, who pays for these parts? What if they don't get used.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:54 pm

morski wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 pm
I think you really need to think about the outcome you want and whether it is achievable and how much time, money and effort and most of all stress you will endure. Audi wont even care about all this and know that an odd case wont tarnish their brand name. I doubt they will even turn up to court if it goes that far.
Maybe cut your losses and get a deal ie service or warranty extension etc from your dealer and enjoy the car that you are paying for. Get an alternative breakdown service package yourself. If it breaks down again set fire to it and blame audi for not fixing the fuel issue properly lol (only joking)
Imho materialistic things do not warrant the headache. Move on if you can
I’ve considered various outcomes and I think we’ve made significant progress today thanks totally to the dealership. They really have supported me and I’m hoping tomorrow to have a positive outcome. I find it hard to not get emotionally invested in stuff like this and you are right, sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. Appreciate the feedback

Return to “RS6 (C8 Typ 5G) 2019-”