Complete loss of power on new RS6

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 591 bhp
mikeyw
2nd Gear

Complete loss of power on new RS6

Post by mikeyw » Wed May 26, 2021 12:03 am

So picked up my brand new pride and joy on Friday. Vorsprung spec looks epic. Long weekend away so traveled to the west on Saturday and home today. What should have been a great drive back became 10 hours of utter grief. Dashboard warnings on the m5 of loss of adaptive cruise system swiftly followed by a multitude of other system errors all within seconds or so it seemed. Then a pop or bang followed by a juddering of the car. All while in the outside lane of the busy motorway. Rev counter instantly restricted and complete loss of power. Managed to get onto the hard shoulder narrowly missing being rear ended by an artic. Car won’t start - called Audi assist - 2 hours standing behind the barrier staring at my beautiful inert piece of scrap hoping nothing would demolish it. Wife and I frozen wet and very pissed off. Recovered to the services where AA patrol says he’s not allowed to really work on the car so needs recovery - to which I say well what about the bloke who has just driven off with his recovery truck ? Couldn’t you have just got him to sort us out. Utter shambolic service and such a waste of time. Finally 10 hours after leaving Devon we are home. Car at the dealers and I’m in a loaner ( dealer brilliant ) service manager says he thinks there is no “compression’ and engine likely to be ‘chocolate’ - not sounding like that’s a good thing. Frankly wife doesn’t want the car back - not sure I do either - 3rd drive and less than 500 miles on the clock utter failure at 70 (really, adaptive cruise on) in the fast lane on the busy m5. Anyone had anything similar ? Glad to be safe home glad we didn’t have our dogs in the back, but can’t trust this car and want my c7 back

Tadass910
5th Gear

Re: Complete loss of power on new RS6

Post by Tadass910 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:15 am

mikeyw wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:03 am
but can’t trust this car and want my c7 back
Sad but true, really feel sorry for you, new car and defective from factory

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Wed May 26, 2021 11:54 pm

Dealer still waiting for Audi to respond to the fault codes and contact from them.

36 hours on and am furious about the recovery - audi assist and no compatible tow eye with the truck or the means to release the park, instead they watched as I dismantled and unloaded 30kg of dog crate on the hard shoulder of the m5.

Without helping at all

Dealer says no compression on all valves and fuel pump failed or on some kind of shut down. Possible over fuelled engine or pre ignition - I really don’t want this car back and my wife won’t get back in it if I do

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Well maybe you can give it back to dealer and they can sell it or if it’s possible they can give money back if your car is just few km used.

Really strange how brand new car can fail pump so quickly

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am

That really sucks to hear.. mainly the way you were treated by the recovery agents and then this major issue on a brand new car. Looks like it will be something very serious for it to lose compression on all valves.
they will no doubt want to repair it with a new motor etc but i think you should be looking into your rights reject the car or be ready to deal 'politely' with the dealer for a buy back.
keep us informed and good luck
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Fri May 28, 2021 6:12 pm

Give it back, get your money. That is a new engine, I don't know your dealer but if mine did it it would be beset by all kinds of gremlins for the rest of its life.

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Fri May 28, 2021 11:10 pm

So - I’m told that the fuel sensor and gauge are faulty and despite (and I have photos to prove it) the gauge showing half full and 185 miles left there was no fuel in the tank

So I ran out of petrol but the car didn’t know

I’m really not sure what to make of it.

It is still a massive safety failure - seeing an artic in your rear view as you coast into the hard shoulder at 35 miles an hour and spending 2 hours in the pissing rain next to the live lane and unloading your boot as the recovery guy doesn’t have the tools, I’m really not sure what I think and whether I want the car back.

I have currently rejected the car - did so from the recovery vehicle on Tuesday and I think I’m still feeling intensely negative from the awful experience

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Sat May 29, 2021 5:44 pm

That is a slightly different thing than no compression on all cylinders? Does it make sense given distance travelled from last refiill? Was this still the first tank?

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 am

Hmm not sure if they are telling you the full story.. Would a loss of fuel really cause a pop and a bang like you described and then for them to confirm there is no compression? Last time i ran out of fuel albeit a long time ago was just the loss of power and an engine that has cut out. Still had compression.
Take a trip over to the dealer and ask to see your car and see what stage of strip down in its in. A nice chat with the dealer principal needs to happen soon.
Is it on finance? Iirc they can usually help with issues especially major
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sun May 30, 2021 11:47 am

drhex wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:44 pm
That is a slightly different thing than no compression on all cylinders? Does it make sense given distance travelled from last refiill? Was this still the first tank?
Yes first tank - I feel I should have had a better sense of how far I’d travelled but the car had been parked for 3 days after the drive to Devon and then I just recall thinking Waze says 145 to our first stop and 175 in the tank so we are all good)

Float assembly sticking it seems and dealer has been able to see this by accessing the tank so I’m told. They are waiting on Audi to give them an official technical fix before doing anything. I don’t really know what to make of it

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sun May 30, 2021 11:57 am

morski wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 am
Hmm not sure if they are telling you the full story.. Would a loss of fuel really cause a pop and a bang like you described and then for them to confirm there is no compression? Last time i ran out of fuel albeit a long time ago was just the loss of power and an engine that has cut out. Still had compression.
Take a trip over to the dealer and ask to see your car and see what stage of strip down in its in. A nice chat with the dealer principal needs to happen soon.
Is it on finance? Iirc they can usually help with issues especially major
Humm so the no compression was their first thought when the car came off the recovery truck and they tried to start it. There was no diagnostic checks running. They subsequently said mis fires on all cylinders. And then came the fuel bombshell. They put in a couple of litres and heh presto car started.

Dealer has been exceptionally helpful - stayed late to accept the car, had a fully fuelled brand new A6 (diesel!!) ready for us to get into and helped transfer all our luggage including the dog guard. The chap I’m dealing was was on his day off but arranged it all. And they have been keeping me informed daily.

A marked contrast to Audi whose customer services have been absent despite my contacting them.

I feel slightly better believing it’s a basic mechanical issue - or so I’m told but then again a brand new car of this level - it’s just so basic and inexcusable too.

Dealer has taken my old car off sale so we can hand the new one back and get back into it. If that’s the route we select - currently I have rejected the car and that stands as right now I’m just so pissed off - in part with myself but mainly Audi, the shambolic recovery process, and the danger this issue placed my wife and I in as a result.

The joy of the new car has evaporated.

And I’m worried that the issue might be more than it seems and that there maybe other things as a result.

A pop and or bang was what my wife reported - I was too focussed on getting out of the outside lane with zero power to play with. Lots of vibration through the car at that time and I don’t know what that was all about either.

I have written to the Audi MD by email as I’ve had some contact with him previously- to my mind it’s all about what Audi do next

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Sun May 30, 2021 6:14 pm

Did you shift to neutral? I have no idea if the wheels will drive the transmission train backwards otherwise or if it engages sail mode. How long did it coast for? Did it auto enable the hazards?

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Sun May 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Didn’t shift to neutral too focussed on getting through the traffic to the hard shoulder - wasn’t aware of auto hazards either and certainly recall enabling them. Hard to recall how far we went with no go as it were - maybe half a mile tops

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Mon May 31, 2021 10:31 am

Must have switched into sail mode/neutral then as it would otherwise come to a stop pretty quickly I'd think. Interesting. Good job on making it to the shoulder!

mikeyw
2nd Gear

Post by mikeyw » Mon May 31, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks - it’s not an experience I’d like to repeat !!

Question is what now....

Return to “RS6 (C8 Typ 5G) 2019-”