Parting thoughts

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
stevo55
5th Gear

Parting thoughts

Post by stevo55 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 pm

Now the RS5 is gone and time for me to exit stage left for now, a mini review of sorts:

I had the car for a year and put 6 k miles on it. The spec was epic and cost the first owner over £82k new. That's before the £4-5k he spent on the PPF and having the wheels powder coated.

Pros

Great handling car and closer to my old M3 Comp than I thought. Audi really sorted the chassis on the B9 and a joy to chuck down a B road. Still amuses me to read idiots going on about 'understeer' every time an RS car is mentioned. Clearly they haven't driven a B9.
Tech was awesome and I'll miss it. Audi are bang on with the tech plus the design (do you hear that BMW M?! FML I've seen the new M4 in the flesh and its a gopping pile of sick to look at) Only thing to go wrong was Apple Car Play kept dropping out and my n/s window wasnt closing all the way (went straight back down). Both fixed under warranty.
Looks-amazing looking car and all blacked out really looked the part
Comfort-had DRC and in comfort mode on a long run it was brilliant and the massage function is great
Economy-amazing to think from a performance car I was getting 40-42mpg on a long run at a steady 70 mph.
Performance-its not a 'savage' car but really picks up speed. The first time I floored it it scared the crp out of me! Brakes are great as well and was on steels.
Base stock car is pretty well specc'd without going crazy (mine had over £18k worth of extras).

Cons

It's too smooth. Compared to the M3 which was a much rawer and emotive drive (the faster you go the better it gets) it's just missing that final touch of a great performance motor. I very briefly tuned mine at DMS and whilst it was a lot more 'flighty' and obviously quicker (never timed it but probably around a 3 second to 60) it just was missing that final rawness that appeals to me. Subjective and my own opinion and others may disagree of course. I briefly drove a B8.5 and that felt a lot more raw (and sounded a hell of a lot better)
Sound. Without a doubt the biggest bugbear for me. It's not 'quiet' but lack of noise is the biggest complaint I always read about and mine had the sports exhaust. With a non res Milltek on it vastly improved but still not enough for me. With the B9.5 I have read it's quieter still. Come on Audi! It's a great engine but not a legendary one. Sign of the times I guess.

So all in all a cracking car that was a joy to own but not grunty enough for a caveman like me! I ended up driving my much older and slower LR Defender more as every drive is an event in one of them (you either 'get' Defenders or you don't and I love mine to bits) and the 5 just sat there unused. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it more, it's up for sale in Manchester and I really hope its not destined for someone who will rag it to bits.
Speaking of exhausts my Milltek non res is coming up for sale when I get the time. Will post it on here or if a B9 owner is interested shoot me a message.
As for 'whats next?' thats a great question! Going to take a break for a few months and put money aside for the next one. Maybe an M5, E63S (If I can deal with a Merc systems as my last one was a disaster) or even back to a C7 RS6. All depends but needs to be something thats a bit more shock and awe.
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

partymonkey
Neutral

Re: Parting thoughts

Post by partymonkey » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Good luck with whatever choice you make for the next weapon!

On the subject of Defenders, I had a Td5 110 for around 8 years as my daily and loved it. Alive Stage 1 remap, De-EGR'd and De-Cat (Until MOT time, then the Cat pipe went back on)... Never drove a TDCI engined one, so not sure if a tune would help but on the Td5, it just did away with the constant down shifting.... Amazing old tubs and come into their own off road. :notworthy: , I'll go back to one in the future but more for a play thing for laning and official offroad sites. If you've not found it already, I can recommend the Defender2.net forum. Really good bunch of knowledgeable folk on there.
Jon - RS4 B9

stevo55
5th Gear

Re: Parting thoughts

Post by stevo55 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:26 pm

partymonkey wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm
Good luck with whatever choice you make for the next weapon!

On the subject of Defenders, I had a Td5 110 for around 8 years as my daily and loved it. Alive Stage 1 remap, De-EGR'd and De-Cat (Until MOT time, then the Cat pipe went back on)... Never drove a TDCI engined one, so not sure if a tune would help but on the Td5, it just did away with the constant down shifting.... Amazing old tubs and come into their own off road. :notworthy: , I'll go back to one in the future but more for a play thing for laning and official offroad sites. If you've not found it already, I can recommend the Defender2.net forum. Really good bunch of knowledgeable folk on there.
Ah thanks for the steer I'll check it out! Mine is a 110 XS Utility on a 62 plate and is Alive Stage 2 so drives so much better than stock. It's still only about 180/190 bhp (I see no need to dyno it frankly). Was tempted to buy a 'Spectre' modded one but while there are uber cool I thought it was maybe trying a bit too hard. The system I have in mine is more user friendly than in the RS5 which is weird and with focal speakers and an Eton amp it rocks along. Completely different wagon to the 5 of course but everyone lets me in at junctions now.
Coolest non vintage cars on the road imo
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.