2020 RS5 Sportback Squeaking Breaks

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
DoubleDangerous
Neutral

2020 RS5 Sportback Squeaking Breaks

Post by DoubleDangerous » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Afternoon,

I just picked up my new 2020 RS5 Sportback on Friday, and did about 300 miles in it yesterday. Came out to it today and the front right break has developed a notable squeak when I depress the peddle around the 50% mark. I might be tripping but I think I can also smell something when this happens.

Out with the annoyance/embarrassment of a heavy squeaky break, I am worried this is a fault.

Anyone else has a similar issue with a RS Audi? Or just a normal one for that matter? Read a few articles which said new breaks need time to bed in, and this issue will go away, and that that a few hard breaking sessions with - in effect - wear through the issue. The breaks are functioning perfectly.

So, fellow motoring enthusiasts, should I be calling the dealership or do I have nothing to worry about and just power through it?

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Re: 2020 RS5 Sportback Squeaking Breaks

Post by nastro azzurro » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:08 pm

I’ve had squeaking brakes on both my Rs’s from new but soon disappears. Been reported loads of times.
Wouldn’t worry and you don’t want to make a mug of yourself by going back to dealer!

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:39 am

I've owned all the RS4's and ocasianly a squeak develops usually from prolonged city stop start driving
This is due to a build up of break pad material on the disk
The remedy is to find a quite road and from 60 to 70 brake as hard as you can with out locking the brakes if possible to 10 mph and don't stop
Repeat this 8 to 10 times this will remove the build up on the disk and no more squeak
If this has been an issue for a while you may need to get the disk skimmed and the above method needs to be done soon after you hear the squeak
As the longer this is left the more pad material will be deposited on the disk
A good regular blast down some twisty B roads will keep any squeak at bay
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

DoubleDangerous
Neutral

Post by DoubleDangerous » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks for the feedback lads

As per a few articles - and a mate who's owned a couple of RS4 - a few close-to-emergency breaking procedures has completely fixed it.

NardoBardo
Neutral

Post by NardoBardo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:12 am

I just traded my 2018 RS3 in, which had ceramic brakes and squealed very loud half the time. I contacted Audi and made them replace the brake pads, but the problem persisted. Ultimately I was told unofficially by a few Audi service techs that it is a common problem with ceramic brakes. They unofficially recommend I drive my car in reverse at 30mph and then slam on the brakes, 2-3 times, in order to break-in the brakes and burn off the pad dust. My friend who owns Porsche cars has had the same issue with ceramic brakes. It’s the bad with the good.
Luckily they didn’t squeal when I brought it in to trade it for part of my 2021 RS5. I got everything back I paid a year ago in trade in. 2018 RS3’s are very in demand here in Oregon! I made sure to opt for the steel brake calipers on the RS5 and I’m squeal free. What a relief! Also, it’s a 2021 RS5 with all the new tech.

Return to “RS5 (F5) 2016–”