Rough idling and driving - anyone experienced this?

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Gio G
Neutral

Rough idling and driving - anyone experienced this?

Post by Gio G » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 am

Totally random event in the RS5 yesterday. Was driving the car over the weekend and has been fine. Took off for a small journey and the car engine seemed quite noisy and could really feel the vibrations, I was driving through traffic at the time. It really felt like it was 1 cylinder down. I quickly cycled through the drive select, to see if it would resolve to no avail. I parked up, switched the car off, locked it and restarted, same issue. I put the gearbox into sport and tried to give it a little power and the engine did not want to rev over 3.5k RPM, so thought it was clearly protecting itself and knew something was wrong.

No engine warning lights on the dash. So I carefully continued my short trip and parked the car. After 3 hours I started my trip home and the car was perfectly fine, which I was pleased about, but baffled me. The last time this happened to me many years ago, I needed a new coil pack, however without any warning lights, not sure it can be diagnosed. Anyone experienced the same?

G

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Re: Rough idling and driving - anyone experienced this?

Post by RS Owner » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:42 pm

I am expecting the car to have logged a fault if it got to stage where it was limiting the engine power.
I would get my dealer to check for any fault codes
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

Gio G
Neutral

Post by Gio G » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:17 pm

RS5 Owner wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:42 pm
I am expecting the car to have logged a fault if it got to stage where it was limiting the engine power.
I would get my dealer to check for any fault codes
Spoke with the dealer, he spoke with the master tech and suggested like you it would have logged a fault. If the one of the cylinders from start up does not get correct fuelling, it shuts itself down for protection and limits power. He said that the car could be fine for another 10,000 miles and would not re-create the issue, or it could play up tomorrow. They suggested I bring it into the dealer..

G

Evil Derboy
Neutral

Post by Evil Derboy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Happened to me. One of the exhaust values was stuck shut due to electrical connector to the flap motor coming loose. My own fault as I'd disconnected them to keep the valves open at one point but got fed up with the drone.

c99
Neutral

Post by c99 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:32 pm

There are TPIs for RS5 rough idle: TPI 2049281/1 (new ECU sw.) and recall 10F8 with TPI 2051299/1 (new vent hose).

Contact your Audi dealer and ask if these are aplicable to your car.
RS5 2.9TFSI

SonomaRS
Neutral

Post by SonomaRS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:12 am

Mine sounds like it skips a beat sometimes when idling - Even when hot. Power is not effected. I might check the exhaust flap connection as I also had them disconnected at one point.

Technic
Neutral

Post by Technic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:04 pm

c99 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:32 pm
There are TPIs for RS5 rough idle: TPI 2049281/1 (new ECU sw.) and recall 10F8 with TPI 2051299/1 (new vent hose).

Contact your Audi dealer and ask if these are aplicable to your car.
Can I just thank you for this info!!

Bought a 2nd hand RS5 which had the ABT AEC fitted, and the car exhibited a small 'misfire' at idle. Audi dealer was being their usual unhelpful self (because it's modified BS) trying to get to the bottom of the problem, it seems that in the past, one dealer had applied one of the TPI's but not done the S/W update. Having the TPI number meant I could ask them directly and get the admission that one is outstanding.

What annoys me most, is asking 'are there any relevant TPI's for rough idle' and being told no. Asking the same question quoting the 2 x TPI numbers, and suddenly no becomes a Yes.

Return to “RS5 (F5) 2016–”