Dynamic Ride - is it worth it

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Oak
2nd Gear

Dynamic Ride - is it worth it

Post by Oak » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm wondering if folks feel that the Dynamic Ride option is worth ticking at £2k on the RS5.

Just trying to keep the ludicrous costs under control a bit.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: Dynamic Ride - is it worth it

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Does not having it only give you one fixed suspension mode?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Oak
2nd Gear

Post by Oak » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Actually Drive select is Standard - so you still get 4 modes.

Dynamic Ride seems to improve control over roll and pitch via the DRC, unless there is more to it that I haven't discovered yet.

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Oak wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm
Actually Drive select is Standard - so you still get 4 modes.

Dynamic Ride seems to improve control over roll and pitch via the DRC, unless there is more to it that I haven't discovered yet.
I have drive select on both my SQ5 and the wife’s A3 but neither of them has the ability to change the suspension settings. The individual mode only allows gearbox, steering and exhaust(SQ5) settings.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

Oak
2nd Gear

Post by Oak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am

Interesting, I have a Q5 & RS4 B8 with Drive Select and they certainly adjust ride comfort when in Comfort as opposed to Dynamic.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am

Drive Select is just the interface.

If the Q5 has air suspension then you can adjust suspension comfort level via drive select. RS4's if optioned have DRC and a derivative of Mag ride, so again the ride comfort level can be selected via Drive Select.

The recent A5 s-line I had loaned to me had drive select, but selecting the different drive select modes only changed gearbox, throttle maps and steering heaviness. The suspension was standard springs and shocks, so the actual ride comfort didn't change. This comes back to the first point I made, which I can't answer for you - Does not selecting the DRC option, only give a fixed spring and shock rate.

Personally I'd tick the option, as I really like the diagonally linked corners and feel that it improves handling by some margin. But the most important aspect is my previous question. Being able to change the cars suspension comfort level, is what makes these cars so appealing and if ticking the DRC option is the only way to gain that. Then it's a no brainer and everyone should be ticking it.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

RSphantom
3rd Gear

Post by RSphantom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Without DRC its fixed suspension so no alteration available. If it was part of a package with the sports exhaust and TPM then I think a lot more people would spec it. £2K is a lot when you consider on a standard RS6 its £2,600 for the dynamic package with DRC, Dynamic Steering and 174mph speed increase. Add the sports exhaust to this and its £3,600. On an RS5 to add all of the above the cost is £5,600 :audibash:
2018 RS5 Nardo Grey with the good toys - Gone
2019 Mercedes E63s AMG - Broke down 3 times - got rid
2019 RS3 4 door - Gone
2020 RS6 Launch Edition - The right spec unlike factory orders - gone
2021 RSQ3 Sportback - Nardo Grey - gone
2022 RS Etron GT Carbon Vorsprung - Daytona Grey - gone
2023 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey - Current

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm

RSphantom wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 pm
Without DRC its fixed suspension so no alteration available. If it was part of a package with the sports exhaust and TPM then I think a lot more people would spec it. £2K is a lot when you consider on a standard RS6 its £2,600 for the dynamic package with DRC, Dynamic Steering and 174mph speed increase. Add the sports exhaust to this and its £3,600. On an RS5 to add all of the above the cost is £5,600 :audibash:
But the alternative on the RS6 is air suspension which has adjustable ride too, and probably costs just as much as DRC to manufacture. So the cost of the 'upgrade' to DRC on the RS6 I think was just to make money out of us; I feel it could have been a no cost option, so if anything it is probably more of a rip off. From memory, DRC was a £1k option over air when not including in the Dynamic package. At least on the RS5 you are going from standard shocks and springs to an adjustable ride DRC system so I can see where that cost comes from.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am
Being able to change the cars suspension comfort level, is what makes these cars so appealing and if ticking the DRC option is the only way to gain that. Then it's a no brainer and everyone should be ticking it.
For me it would have been even more appealing to have a perfect 'do it all' ride quality that wasn't adjustable like the B7 had rather than have the option of soft and wallowy or rock hard. The B7 corners near flat but is not rock hard. The C7 is rock hard and still doesn't corner as flat; yes it's a bigger heavier car, but the B9 is not. But I'm guessing it would have seemed like Audi were going back to the dark ages by not offering adjustable ride quality.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm
Surrey Sam wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am
Being able to change the cars suspension comfort level, is what makes these cars so appealing and if ticking the DRC option is the only way to gain that. Then it's a no brainer and everyone should be ticking it.
For me it would have been even more appealing to have a perfect 'do it all' ride quality that wasn't adjustable like the B7 had rather than have the option of soft and wallowy or rock hard. The B7 corners near flat but is not rock hard. The C7 is rock hard and still doesn't corner as flat; yes it's a bigger heavier car, but the B9 is not. But I'm guessing it would have seemed like Audi were going back to the dark ages by not offering adjustable ride quality.

Going backwards might be down to journalists knocking the system, comfort too soft and dynamic rattles your eyeballs out. Thing is, if they drove in Auto for suspension then it'd be far better because the base line is firmer than comfort. I believe Audi should have called it Sport Auto, as the term Auto makes people think that it switches between Comfort and Dynamic automatically, which it doesn't.

gilford
4th Gear

Post by gilford » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm

I test drove both before buying mine, went for standard in the end and it is perfectly fine.

Had DRC on my B7 RS4 and had issues, my 8T RS5 and had issues, and on my FL RS6 (no issues but did get a slight knocking occasionally which I couldn't be bothered moaning about). I honestly don't think it's any good, as has been said comfort is too soft and dynamic rattles your teeth.

The car I test drove had DRC and dynamic steering, I really cannot tell the difference between that and my car which has neither, on a track it may be different but how often will you do that?

Come resale I think a pano roof, carbon bits or HUD will be much more appealing to any prospective buyer.

You won't regret getting one, I absolutely love mine, the way it picks up speed and changes gear is EPIC!
Current - 2017 Nardo RS5 8)

Evil Derboy
Neutral

Post by Evil Derboy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 pm

I changed from an M6 and I do miss the adaptive dampers. Audi are having a bit of a laugh with some of the options considering what comes standard on rival cars (carbon roof for example).

All the reviews lauding the ride quality are on cars with this specc’d. It’s definitely on the harsh side without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:01 am

Evil Derboy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 pm
I changed from an M6 and I do miss the adaptive dampers. Audi are having a bit of a laugh with some of the options considering what comes standard on rival cars (carbon roof for example).
Quite a few BMW Ms have carbon propshaft as well as carbon roof as standard.
Still don't want them :biggrin3:
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:05 am

Evil Derboy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 pm
All the reviews lauding the ride quality are on cars with this specc’d. It’s definitely on the harsh side without it.
I recently visited 3 Audi dealers looking for an RS5. I noted all the stock cars were always spec'd without DRC, or, with both DRC and dynamic steering. They said the managers spec the cars and that is what they think customers will want.

When I told them that every review recommends you have DRC but not dynamic steering, all the salesmen told me I was the first customer they had met who had watched/read a review :biggrin3:
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:16 am

I had it on the RS3 don't have it on the RS4. Nice gimmick imho as the 4 rides like a dream. For me not worth it.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Return to “RS5 (F5) 2016–”