Contemplating coming back to rs4 ownership

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
AndyC160
Neutral

Contemplating coming back to rs4 ownership

Post by AndyC160 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:42 pm

I sold my b5 rs4 a couple of years ago and currently have a Porsche Macan.

I'm now contemplating getting a used b9 rs4 to replace the Macan.

Any horror stories I should be aware of in terms of reliability, things going wrong etc and just general ownership experience and costs - brakes always tend to be quite expensive on rs4's & 6's

I saw a YouTube vid about issues with rod bearings on an rs5 - is that a common issue with this engine? Sounded like it affects cars prior to some time in 2019 I seem to remember them saying the type of bearings had been changed after 2019.

Is coking up still an issue?

Any water leaks from pano roof?

Any help much appreciated

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Re: Contemplating coming back to rs4 ownership

Post by Rusty Racer » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:44 pm

I had a B8 for 3 years and decided to go for a B9 late last year. No dramas yet! But tbh I won’t keep it without a comprehensive warranty as you well know there can always be a big bill around the corner.
I got the tracking adjusted as it felt nervous at times but have done nothing else to it apart from add petrol.
DRC is the only option I didn’t get, would have liked it but could not resist it as it was fully loaded.
I do miss the free reving V8 of the B8 as it seems the B9 is all about torque but overall it’s an improvement on the previous model imho.
Good luck hunting!
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:48 am

Rusty Racer wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:44 pm
I had a B8 for 3 years and decided to go for a B9 late last year. No dramas yet! But tbh I won’t keep it without a comprehensive warranty as you well know there can always be a big bill around the corner.
I got the tracking adjusted as it felt nervous at times but have done nothing else to it apart from add petrol.
DRC is the only option I didn’t get, would have liked it but could not resist it as it was fully loaded.
I do miss the free reving V8 of the B8 as it seems the B9 is all about torque but overall it’s an improvement on the previous model imho.
Good luck hunting!
Thanks 👍

Do these still have issues with DRC?

As an aside...this forum certainly seems alot quieter than it used to be a couple of years ago. Is there another forum B9 rs4 owners use?

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:36 pm

I believe DRC can still be troublesome but no doubt others would disagree. I think it was always an option on the earlier models that wasn’t on everyone’s wish list.
Yes, agreed it is much quieter than before on here. Shame but if you know where it’s all happens let me know!
2014 RS4 B8

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:24 pm

I've had my pre facelift car since 2019 on issue was a temperature gauge for the cooling fan was replaced as it was a known fault on the B9 RS4 and S4 and a shock replaced under warranty last year other than that no other issues i have the panoramic roof no problems with that as yet
overall really happy with this incarnation and I've had them all from the B5 onwards
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Elpeterol
1st Gear

Post by Elpeterol » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:17 pm

I have a 2020 B9.5 and no issues so far apart from the myaudi app being a little temperamental. I chose not to have DRC due to the poor history and find the suspension is fine if a little jittery over rough surfaces. The first service was as expected and it is on the longer service schedule.

No wear and tear issues and the car is built to the usual high Audi standard.

Hope this helps.

Rs4spark
3rd Gear

Post by Rs4spark » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:00 am

Funny - I have had 2 Macans - 1 a 66 Plate GTS, each time i have sold them i have come back to an RS4 -
I had a new B9.5 RS4 in March 20 and kept it two years-Stunning Carbon Black Edition.
Only sold it as i was offered great price.

I am debating and probably going to order a new one very soon as it will be one of the last -
Had the DRC on previous RS4 cars - always hassle for me.
No DRC on B9.5 and i will not be ordering it on the new one

All the best with the Search
Sold B9.5 RS4 !! WHY i keep asking ! looking sat ordering another before a new model arrives
RS4 2020 Navarra & Jet Blue Gen 1 R8
RS4 Sepang 2015
RS4 Suzuka 2014
RS4 Cab Daytona 07
RS4 Cab Phantom 58
RS4 Cab Phantom 06

Crazy, also too many to list in between, get board too quickly but hopefully not this time !!

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:53 am

Thanks for all the replies.

It doesn't sound like there are any major issues. May be best to find one without DRC...even with a warranty its still a ball ache.

I'm trying to work out what was optional/ std on the different trims and the difference between pre face-lift and face-lift - different front lights/ bumper, wheels...anything else?

The Macan is fantastic, the interior is a lovely place to be in and I might be tempted by a newer S but I've always had a soft spot for an rs4 and I much prefer the lower driving position.

With regards to the interior...could you spec leather dash and door tops? For me that really makes an interior and I'm not a fan of the scratchy plastic Audi now use.

Also, was there a sport/ bucket seat option?

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:43 pm

One of the guys had a pdf brochure from 2018 that is a great help. I went for a carbon edition as it had 20” wheels, red callipers, matrix headlights and the sports exhaust as standard plus obviously the carbon bits.

Matrix lights are literally the best thing ever imho. Panoramic roof is a nice touch as it 360 cameras and parking pack. I wanted the acc as I like it and mine has a tour pack which again I like. Traffic jam assist is a blast.

No sure there were options for seats apart from memory etc. I would just avoid the basic version from a resale point.
2014 RS4 B8

elchet
2nd Gear

Post by elchet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:16 pm

AndyC160 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:53 am
It doesn't sound like there are any major issues. May be best to find one without DRC...even with a warranty its still a ball ache.
For the record, mine has DRC and touch wood no issues during my time with it (33-40k miles). Afaik no previous owners did anything with DRC. I do have an Audi extended warranty on it for this/other risks. Y1 of the warranty was £760, Y2 renewed at £390.
AndyC160 wrote:
I'm trying to work out what was optional/ std on the different trims and the difference between pre face-lift and face-lift - different front lights/ bumper, wheels...anything else?
The facelift changes from memory:
- New MMI, bigger 10in display, touch screen (B9.5 lost the jogwheel controls in the centre console).
- New virtual cockpit UI, including hockey stick style rev display
- RS mode button on the steering wheel (you can map the asterisk button on the B9 to step through driving modes so this isn't a biggie)
- OPF filter on the exhaust, said to have dampened the sound quite a bit
- New headlights, shape (I prefer the jagged edges of the B9 to the softer rounded edges of the B9.5), and sequential animation on start at front and rear (this is undeniably cool)
- Slightly different look at the front, including the fake gap along the front edge of the bonnet, and the grille is altered too
- Wheels as you've said
- Changed from full option config to pre-set trim levels (Vorsprung, Carbon Black, etc) so if you're shopping for a B9.5 you presumably have an easier time determining what options they have.
AndyC160 wrote:
With regards to the interior...could you spec leather dash and door tops? For me that really makes an interior and I'm not a fan of the scratchy plastic Audi now use.

Also, was there a sport/ bucket seat option?
No option for full leather like BMW or Porsche as far as I know. Only options were the stitching colour (black/silver/red), and additional alcantara (RS Design Pack I think that was called). You'd also get different hard material for the interior strips - piano black, carbon fibre, or "race aluminium anthracite" I think that was called.

No different option on the seats (beyond the stitching, and the memory seats/heated mirror option combo).
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:47 pm

Thanks Elchet 👍

The warranty, especially y2, is a bargain compared to Porsche!

So the screen in the prefacelift wasn't touchscreen?

I need to get to a dealer to sit in one and have a play

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:50 pm

Rusty Racer wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:43 pm
One of the guys had a pdf brochure from 2018 that is a great help.
Thanks Rusty

If anyone has a brochure they could share?...that would be great 👍

elchet
2nd Gear

Post by elchet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:36 pm

Try this, it's the original RS4 B9 booklet and option lists. Doesn't help with the B9.5 but that configurator is still online.

https://file.io/e8Q6O0sxijyS
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

elchet
2nd Gear

Post by elchet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:45 pm

AndyC160 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:47 pm
Thanks Elchet 👍

The warranty, especially y2, is a bargain compared to Porsche!

So the screen in the prefacelift wasn't touchscreen?

I need to get to a dealer to sit in one and have a play
Correct, no touch screen in the original B9. You get used to the system pretty quickly, and I think it's nice not having finger prints on the display. Down to personal preference as to whether you prefer touch or not. I used to think safety would be more of a concern with a touch screen, but in reality you have to look at the display either way for most activities. Also getting through the system and performing actions is probably quicker with touch assuming you're not bouncing around on rough roads.
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:45 pm

elchet wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:36 pm
Try this, it's the original RS4 B9 booklet and option lists. Doesn't help with the B9.5 but that configurator is still online.

https://file.io/e8Q6O0sxijyS
Thanks for the link but unfortunately it says the file has been deleted.

Yes I've been through the configurator for the 9.5. Very few options compared to porsche! Probably a good thing as you get alot of stuff as standard.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”