Re: Contemplating coming back to rs4 ownership

Post by Rs4spark » Tue May 09, 2023 6:56 am

AndyC160 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:57 pm
Rs4spark wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:14 am
AndyC160 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:06 pm

How would you compare your macan experience to an rs4? I guess if you keep coming back to the rs4...

Morning Andy

I love an RS4 - Had 8 now LOL in last 16 years !
The Macan is a quality built car and the interior is stunning if specced up.

I suppose the RS4 is much more sportier-quicker and a better badge to own .
I did order the Brand new Macan GTS in Dec 21- i have only just cancelled my order which was due to be built shortly- i decided and got fed up with always being ripped off with base price continually increasing - options that should be standard are a crazy price and extended warranty and trade in prices ripping you come resale.

I know Audis inside out and pretty much decided to order another RS4 before they change to electric -

I am picking up a brand new RS3 Vorsprung wednesday to use for the next 6 months.
8 in 16 years....that's a good effort!

Lucky to get the rs3 aswell. My sister just sent me some photos of the s3 her dealer has given whilst she waits for her car to arrive....doesn't sound like their buying experience has been very good.

Enjoy the rs3 👍

Thanks Andy,

What have you decided in the End ? ,

I have decided yet again to get back in to another RS4 , I have a Competition on order and due early July,,Cant wait
Sold B9.5 RS4 !! WHY i keep asking ! looking sat ordering another before a new model arrives
RS4 2020 Navarra & Jet Blue Gen 1 R8
RS4 Sepang 2015
RS4 Suzuka 2014
RS4 Cab Daytona 07
RS4 Cab Phantom 58
RS4 Cab Phantom 06

Crazy, also too many to list in between, get board too quickly but hopefully not this time !!

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Tue May 16, 2023 12:38 am

Rs4spark wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:56 am
AndyC160 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:57 pm
Rs4spark wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:14 am

Thanks Andy,

What have you decided in the End ? ,

I have decided yet again to get back in to another RS4 , I have a Competition on order and due early July,,Cant wait
Not decided yet.

I went to see the white rs4 sport edition Crewe Audi have up for sale as its the closest to me, and, although I usually stay away from white cars, I thought it looked pretty good!

A little underwhelmed by the interior. Too much scratchy plastic on the top of the dash and doors. Seats were nice though!

Surprisingly I think the boot is too small so would need a roof box for our trips up to Scotland etc. I thought it would be bigger and it actually looked smaller than my b5 which I'm sure can't be right? This was the thing the wife didn't like about it!

Start up....sounded pretty good and settled into a subtle burble which I liked. The car wasn't warmed up so unfortunately most of the test drive was pretty mundane. Ride was good (steel springs, no drc). Very faint metallic knocking noise from the front offside over certain bumps/ potholes. The couple of squirts I did give it reminded me very much of my b5...the feeling of the boost building, liking revs and also the sound.

The kids liked the ride in the back.

Brakes sqeaked alot even after just a pretty mild 20 mins drive, if that, but I've read that they do that? Fronts did have a lip on and I think they probably needed replacing.

All in, i wasn't 100% sold and didn't get that special feeling from it, although I did have to be pretty much dragged away from it in the end.

What's the story with rocker arms failing? Or has that been blown out of all proportion?

I did arrange to go and see an amazingly well spec'd Panamera Sport turismo e-hybrid this weekend but got told today someone has reserved it so the search still continues.

Rs4spark
3rd Gear

Post by Rs4spark » Tue May 16, 2023 6:31 am

Morning Andy,

Sounds like you didnt have the best test Drive , with cars this balue and cars you have never driven ideally it is worth looking at a few or requesting an extended test drive.

Likewise we used a roof box when ever we go away-take it off when we get there and try and store it, unless you opt for the RS6 mosdt boots seem small for holidays with the crap we take these days :bigblink:

I think the brake squeel does fade after a few miles, there car may have sat for a while.

Re : Interior - i do agree with the scratcy plastic - and find the porsche interiors are far superior - so is the Warranty when due for renewal & servicing - LOL

All the best with your search - sometimes the best part.
Sold B9.5 RS4 !! WHY i keep asking ! looking sat ordering another before a new model arrives
RS4 2020 Navarra & Jet Blue Gen 1 R8
RS4 Sepang 2015
RS4 Suzuka 2014
RS4 Cab Daytona 07
RS4 Cab Phantom 58
RS4 Cab Phantom 06

Crazy, also too many to list in between, get board too quickly but hopefully not this time !!

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Tue May 16, 2023 11:36 am

Rs4spark wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:31 am
Morning Andy,

Sounds like you didnt have the best test Drive , with cars this balue and cars you have never driven ideally it is worth looking at a few or requesting an extended test drive.

Likewise we used a roof box when ever we go away-take it off when we get there and try and store it, unless you opt for the RS6 mosdt boots seem small for holidays with the crap we take these days :bigblink:

I think the brake squeel does fade after a few miles, there car may have sat for a while.

Re : Interior - i do agree with the scratcy plastic - and find the porsche interiors are far superior - so is the Warranty when due for renewal & servicing - LOL

All the best with your search - sometimes the best part.
Thanks 👍 Yes I always enjoy the search, even if it can be very time consuming...I may go a bit over the top with my research compared to most people though! I just like to know what I'm looking at and what's the best/ most suitable vehicle out there.

Yes I should really have asked for longer in the car but, apart from not giving it a really fast blast, from the time I did get in the car I did like it...as the cliché goes...you should be able to tell in the first few meters if it any good or not.

Is this issue with rocker arms a bit of a non-issue? Seems like it's a few US cars (s5's etc) on the forums and then that rs5 at Vag tecknic. I guess if it affects rs4s etc then it could affect Porsches with the same engine? Not heard any issues with those.

elchet
2nd Gear

Post by elchet » Tue May 16, 2023 12:39 pm

Googling for EA839 rocker arm failure, there really are only a few examples like you say, and yes you'd expect to see failures in Panameras and Cayennes that have the VAG 2.9 TFSI biturbo as well.
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

lynchy
3rd Gear

Post by lynchy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:08 pm

Been thinking the same to get a B9 RS4 ! Had a B5 RS4 for over 15 years and miss having a fast wagon. Got a 718S Cayman but I would keep that along side the RS4. Only sold the B5 as I was having trouble getting parts and I like to use my cars as much as possible.
Porsche Cayman 718S manual SOLD : :thumbsdown: 2001 black RS4 MRC remap,MRC filter,3" Milltek dp's ,Milltek catback, H&R arbs, Brembo brakes, PSS9`s coilovers, 413 fuel pump, Wagner intercoolers (490bhp. 517 lbs/ft torque )
2008 ultra blue R26 -sold
2003 silver S3 - sold
2002 black A3 1.8T - sold
1988 ford XR2 - dead

AndyC160
Neutral

Post by AndyC160 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:43 am

lynchy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:08 pm
Been thinking the same to get a B9 RS4 ! Had a B5 RS4 for over 15 years and miss having a fast wagon. Got a 718S Cayman but I would keep that along side the RS4. Only sold the B5 as I was having trouble getting parts and I like to use my cars as much as possible.
Hi Lynchy. I ended up getting an option loaded Gen 2 Macan GTS and love it. Same engine as the B9 RS4 just slightly lower power. After test driving a couple of RS4s I felt that the interior let it down. Too much scratchy plastic and didn't like the stick on screen. The Macan interior feels so much more special, although mine does have full soft leather everywhere in espresso...quite an expensive option but well worth it. Also with sport chrono, air suspension, torque vectoring/ Lsd etc.
I love RS4s but I feel I made the right decision with the GTS

lynchy
3rd Gear

Post by lynchy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:11 am

:thumbs:
AndyC160 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:43 am
lynchy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:08 pm
Hi Lynchy. I ended up getting an option loaded Gen 2 Macan GTS and love it. Same engine as the B9 RS4 just slightly lower power. After test driving a couple of RS4s I felt that the interior let it down. Too much scratchy plastic and didn't like the stick on screen. The Macan interior feels so much more special, although mine does have full soft leather everywhere in espresso...quite an expensive option but well worth it. Also with sport chrono, air suspension, torque vectoring/ Lsd etc.
I love RS4s but I feel I made the right decision with the GTS
Porsche Cayman 718S manual SOLD : :thumbsdown: 2001 black RS4 MRC remap,MRC filter,3" Milltek dp's ,Milltek catback, H&R arbs, Brembo brakes, PSS9`s coilovers, 413 fuel pump, Wagner intercoolers (490bhp. 517 lbs/ft torque )
2008 ultra blue R26 -sold
2003 silver S3 - sold
2002 black A3 1.8T - sold
1988 ford XR2 - dead

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”