Upgrading to a B9

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Scammo1
2nd Gear

Upgrading to a B9

Post by Scammo1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:20 am

Hi Guys,
I currently have a B8 RS4 and thinking of part ex for a B9, likely a pre facelift model.

Having looked through autotrader and this forum I have a couple of questions please:

I know options are a personal choice but are there any you guys would regard as must have, packs specifically? Was shocked when I bought my B8 and didn’t come with folding mirrors as standard!

Is it worth only looking at cars with the sports exhaust, or isn’t there much difference between sports and standard? Not looking for big noise and aftermarket but the V8 sound of the B8 is probably the only thing it top trumps the B9 on.

Finally, I know all about DRC frailties, which seem to continue with the B9, but are there any other weak points to the model which I should look out for?

Thanks!

J88NOG
Neutral

Re: Upgrading to a B9

Post by J88NOG » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:12 am

Hello,

I have a pre-facelift car. It has been mechanically sound up until now (bought new in 2018, currently at 25k miles). I have the standard (non-DRC) suspension.

I've had a Milltek non-res cat-back exhaust on, which makes the car MUCH louder. I'm going to switch back to the standard exhaust soon as I don't (personally) think it suits the car.

I had the main thermostat go and was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago - I think this was fairly standard on the pre-facelift cars and is well documented in a separate thread here.

I don't think there are any must-haves beyond personal preference on assistance systems etc. As you say, the sports exhaust might be worth going for though. I have the pan-roof, which I like, but is by no means essential.

All the best in your hunt,

James

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:58 am

I had the B9 RS5 which shares the same engine and exhaust etc.
On the exhaust-it’s quiet. If you’re coming from a B8 V8 you’ll be very very underwhelmed am
Afraid. FL models even worse. On a performance ICE to have such a quiet exhaust and engine is pretty shabby-especially considering what Alfa did with their V6’s.
Milltek non res race was what I had and it’s much louder. Depends what you want really.
Pano roof for sure plus the usuals-they do mean they retain their value and my B9 was almost fully loaded.
Ultimately after a year it wasn’t raw enough so I went back to a V8 and happiness was restored. The B9’s are fantastic cars but a bit too smooth for their own good imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:53 pm

Thanks!

elchet
2nd Gear

Post by elchet » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:49 pm

Mine's fully loaded with everything ticked apart from the carbon engine cover (and other carbon trim bits), heated steering wheel (I wanted a flat bottom wheel anyway) and ceramic brakes. I have the alcantara / RS design pack interior, and I quite like how that makes it feel a bit more special.

For me, my favourite features are the pan roof, matrix lights, comfort & sound, memory seats & folding mirrors (these had to be specced in combination), the HUD, the storage pack, sports exhaust, and the tour pack.

I have the parking pack but have never got into the habit of using park assist.

I have DRC, and it's not gone wrong yet. The ride is super comfortable which surprises friends who get in it and expect it to be harsh. I don't have a frame of reference for a B9 without DRC unfortunately.

I have Dynamic Steering and wouldn't bother with this. Ditto the 174mph limit increase! Heated rear seats and wireless phone charging rarely get used. The latter I might though if I get a wireless CarPlay adapter, but for now my phone is always plugged into USB for CarPlay.

Shout if you have any questions on any features - happy to help and I spent most of 2021 researching the hell out of the options.
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:59 am

Will do, thanks a lot!

It’s little but annoying things like folding mirrors and reversing cameras that you assume are included that I want to get right.

DRC on the B8 is great when working, especially in dynamic where the car really comes alive (not quite at the levels of our M5 comp, but pretty good nonetheless). No such thing as a comfortable ride in the B8 so glad to hear it is better in the B9!

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:25 pm

Did you go for a B9 in the end?
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:06 am

Hi, still undecided!
I am looking for a B9 with the right spec.

Test drove a couple and the ride is certainly a big improvement on the B8. Was a little underwhelmed by the sound (even with sport exhaust) but expected that.

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:57 am

So my search for a B9 continues…

I’ve noticed that none of the cars for sale mention DRC. Is this because it is a standard fit, or perhaps part of a pack (like sports pack on the B8)

Also does anyone know what the driver assist pack consists of and if it’s worth having?

Thanks!

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:04 pm

Taken from the 2018 brochure:

Driver Assistance Pack – Tour
With busier roads than ever, Audi technology can keep an extra eye out. This pack brings together the driver assistance systems that support long-distance driving, especially when driving in congestion and varying average speed limit zones. As well as helping you to drive more efficiently, the pack also includes advanced safety systems.
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop&Go and Traffic-jam assist
Automatic distance regulation, using radar sensors to maintain the required distance between vehicles ahead by braking
and accelerating. Approximate control range: S tronic/tiptronic tranmissions 0–155mph.* In conjunction with S tronic or Tiptronic, includes Stop&Go function, where the system brakes the car to a stop. The driver can select from 5 distance thresholds and influence the systems acceleration behaviour via Audi Drive Select. Vehicles with S tronic and tiptronic transmissions also feature, Traffic-jam assist which detects vehicles ahead and on adjacent lanes to assist with the braking, acceleration and also steering up to approximately 40mph, to keep the vehicle in lane
Predictive efficiency assistant
The system uses navigation data e.g.
speed limits, traffic signs, road bends, junctions and roundabouts to give the driver efficiency advice in the instrument cluster (or via the Audi Virtual Cockpit).
In conjunction with Adaptive Cruise
Control (ACC), the system uses the route data and speed limits to adjust the ACC desired speed and cornering accordingly. With S tronic or tiptronic transmissions,
the system activates free-wheeling mode or engine braking, which can help reduce fuel consumption and enhance ride comfort
Pre-sense Front
Extends the collision warning and automatic braking function of Pre-sense City to cover the entire speed range (up to 155mph*) and can also increase braking initiated by the driver if this is inadequate. The system uses the camera located on the front rear-view mirror to detect vehicles and pedestrians in front in order to reduce severity of a collision, or if possible prevent an accident. The driver is first given a visual and acoustic warning followed by partial braking and then full brake application
Camera-based traffic sign recognition
Speed limit and traffic sign display via the Audi Virtual Cockpit or optional Head-up display. Detects the following signs: speed limits (including temporary limits), overtaking restrictions and no-entry warnings
Collision avoidance assistant
Supports the driver’s actions during
an avoidance manoeuvre, reducing the likelihood of a collision or of swerving off the road. The system provides additional steering torque and uses vehicle sensors
to calculate the optimum path of avoidance
Turn assist
When turning at junctions, from the moment the turn indicators are activated, the turn assist system detects approaching vehicles and applies braking to help
avoid a collision
Active Lane Assist
Detects lane boundary markings and helps the driver to stay in lane with gentle steering intervention for greater safety and convenience, particularly
on motorways. Works at speeds above approximately 40mph
2014 RS4 B8

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:11 pm

Definitely worth it, if you find one - I wanted the adaptive cruise as it works for me. Traffic jam assist is a blast as (with a little steering assistance) the car drives itself in traffic. I’ve used it up to 40mph, which is enough I think.
Other features are good however, I’m not a fan of lane assist and normally turn it of once traffic free.
DRC was an option that seemed a step too far for many and I couldn’t find one with enough other options to keep me happy. Plenty of horror stories but I’m sure plenty of happy owners too.
2014 RS4 B8

elchet
2nd Gear

Post by elchet » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:28 pm

Scammo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:57 am
So my search for a B9 continues…

I’ve noticed that none of the cars for sale mention DRC. Is this because it is a standard fit, or perhaps part of a pack (like sports pack on the B8)

Also does anyone know what the driver assist pack consists of and if it’s worth having?

Thanks!
I don't DRC was in any packs - it was a separate option in its own right. It did however eliminate the option for a folding tow bar, which could have been a deal breaker for some. When I was searching for mine, I found quite a few with DRC. You won't find it on the Sport models because they were a fixed spec apart from colour, and there were tons of those on the market when I was searching a couple of years ago.

Driver Assist is very much worth having. The Adaptive Cruise Control and Traffic Jam Assist are brilliant. They just made a 2,300km round trip to the French Alps a breeze for me, both with heavy traffic in places and hours long stretches of autoroute.

Also the warning system about approaching traffic when you're reversing from a space is handy too. Saves you relying only on a craned neck.
2018 B9 RS4 Daytona Grey

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:27 am

Thank you both!

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”