Milltek Non Res Questions

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
AndyL
Neutral

Milltek Non Res Questions

Post by AndyL » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone with the Milltek Non Resonated (Race) exhaust please take a video of a cold start in comfort mode? I am trying to find out how much it might annoy the niegbours each morning!

Also did anyone who had the Milltek Race fitted have any issue when having it fitted? I have read a nightmare thread on AudiWorld (USA) about fittment issue such as parts of the exhaust touching the heatshield and other places such as cross bracing, which both end up causing vibrations/rattles. Just wondering what peoples expierences are like here in the UK? Where did you have them fitted/installed?

Cheers,

Andy

J88NOG
Neutral

Re: Milltek Non Res Questions

Post by J88NOG » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:31 pm

Hello,

I've had mine fitted for a few years now and done >15k miles with it fitted.

Cold start is pretty loud, but settles down after 15-20 seconds or thereabouts. Sometimes the car will cycle through valves open, closed, open, closed which is quite pronounced once this exhaust is fitted.

As soon as it was fitted I had issues with rattling valves - something to do with loose bushings in the assembly. I had to take the car back to the fitter to have a fix installed (from memory this was a spring washer or similar). That sorted it but just in the last few weeks I've heard the noise returning so might need fixing again.

My exhaust fouled the heat shield until I took it back (again) to the fitter to add spacers to give a bit more clearance. Even still, it is a very tight squeeze. It also barely clears the passenger side cross-brace at the back. I cured it with zip-ties and some foam (more just to confirm that this was the source) until it fell off - something more heat resistant and forgiving might cure it. As it is, braking downhill or any bumps through a right-hander results in it sounding like someone is knocking on the back window.

I'm not a huge fan of the way that the protrude from the back - not a great deal more than the stock tips, but noticeable and less cohesive with the rest of the design.

Overall, I've enjoyed the improvement in sound when pressing on. Fully open and at full stick it sounds savage and much more in line with what you'd expect from an RS product. Also, with the flaps closed there is virtually no droning or headache-inducing feedback through the car which is remarkable given how loud and aggressive it can be with the flaps open.

However, I don't think I'm far off of taking the exhaust off of the car - I just can't be arsed with the knocking and issues any more, and the start-up is a bit out of character when you're just wanting to leave a work or a client's place incognito.

I had it fitted in 2018, so the design might have improved since then.

Cheers,

J

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”