3rd Gear

Re: Factory ordered RS4

Post by nastro azzurro » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:46 pm

Speed limit shows on the HUD so probably does on MMI but not looked tbh

Elpeterol
1st Gear

Post by Elpeterol » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:35 pm

The road signs are spotted by a camera and then I presume an identification algorithm used to display the information on the mmi

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:50 am

If the road signs are spotted by a camera, what’s the difference compared to just looking at the road sign and knowing what it says? Wait a minute, isn’t that what road signs are for. Sounds like a completely useless feature to me.

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:55 am

He’s referring to the speed limit sign if you read carefully.
They are not spotted by camera.
Whatever speed the road is designated at will display.
It displays and changes the limit on variable speed motorways, roadworks and all classified roads.
Really useful feature and I too like having it displayed on the HUD.

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:35 am

Ahhh.

1) The camera reads the speed limits signs when available - side of the road, overhead motorway gantries and displays on the dash/HUD if fitted.

2) If none are available the system uses the data on the Sat Nav map.

The SatNav map has the road speed limit data embedded hence being able to calculate ETAs, however permanent speed limit changes and temporary changes due to roadworks are not immediately available as data so the windscreen camera is the default source.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:33 pm

I sometimes why we are bothered with all this tech when we are driving an RS model. RS models are supposed to be stripped down versions with as little tech as possible to save weight. I really do miss those days. Now you forced to deal with these things by default when you buy an RS model.

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Don’t agree with that statement.
RS models are high performance luxury versions of the standard model. That’s why I drive them. They are not meant to be a stripped out version and are not marketed as such. Have you ever seen the adverts??
If I wanted a raw performance car an RS wouldn’t even make my list.

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 pm

nastro azzurro wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:43 pm
RS models are high performance luxury versions of the standard model. That’s why I drive them. They are not meant to be a stripped out version and are not marketed as such. Have you ever seen the adverts??
Well, when I had my B7 RS4 in 2008, RS cars had more simplified and spartan interiors than S models (besides the carbon fiber interior bits 🤗), this more or less followed through for a couple of years, I even remember the first RS3 in 2010 carried this same ethos and had a very basic stereo/radio compared to the regular models because it was an RS model.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Avantgarde wrote:
nastro azzurro wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:43 pm
Well, when I had my B7 RS4 in 2008, RS cars had more simplified and spartan interiors than S models (besides the carbon fiber interior bits Image), this more or less followed through for a couple of years, I even remember the first RS3 in 2010 carried this same ethos and had a very basic stereo/radio compared to the regular models because it was an RS model.
The first RS3 had an RNSE which by the time the car was launched was prehistoric! Not a good comparison to make.

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Never had a B7 so can’t comment.
My B8 certainly didn’t feel spartan. B9 feels like natural progression.
To me RS4 and RS6 are fast all rounders for daily use, RS4 more so because of its size. It’s an estate after all.
RS3 is the hot hatch of the bunch.

DadRacerX
Neutral

Post by DadRacerX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 pm

mxm wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 am
Thanks for the replies

From all the above answers, I guess the majority here would vote towards not optioning the sports exhaust and use the 1250 towards a miltek system.
WOAH WOAH WOAH There!!

I bought a 70 Plate (Facelift) RS4 in January with a stock exhaust. I was never lucky enough to own an RS model, let alone anything over 200ps for a long time. It was/is my dream car.

Before taking the plunge, I read alot of negative comments about the sound. The V8 purists who belittled the V6. We need to accept these are different times. V8 days are over.

I picked the car from the dealer, popped it in Dynamic mode and WOW!! It sounded great, inside and out. People turn when they hear me coming, so I know it's loud enough. It is a little contrived, but I suppose that's what happens when you get a heavily tuned, but efficient German engine.

I wasn't spolied with the b8 V8 sound, so I thought the RS4 sounded brilliant. I also have 3 kids so there are times, when comfort mode NEEDS to be comfortable.

HOWEVER, I have decided to call back to my dealership and have the factory optional RS Sports Exhaust (black tips) fitted... and NOT a miltek.

Having heard all the exhausts, the factory RS one has a better tone (subjective, I know) But I feel the Audi one screams much more (Ferrai-esque), what you would expect from a V6.

The miltek / Remus, just seem to be louder and a much more of a low grumble, not what a V6 sounds like in my opinion. The ABT one sounds great, but who buys an RS only to have quad pipes fitted!?!? 😂

That's my two cents anyway. Good luck with whatever you do!

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:40 pm

DadRacerX wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 pm
mxm wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 am
Thanks for the replies

From all the above answers, I guess the majority here would vote towards not optioning the sports exhaust and use the 1250 towards a miltek system.
WOAH WOAH WOAH There!!

I bought a 70 Plate (Facelift) RS4 in January with a stock exhaust. I was never lucky enough to own an RS model, let alone anything over 200ps for a long time. It was/is my dream car.

Before taking the plunge, I read alot of negative comments about the sound. The V8 purists who belittled the V6. We need to accept these are different times. V8 days are over.

I picked the car from the dealer, popped it in Dynamic mode and WOW!! It sounded great, inside and out. People turn when they hear me coming, so I know it's loud enough. It is a little contrived, but I suppose that's what happens when you get a heavily tuned, but efficient German engine.

I wasn't spolied with the b8 V8 sound, so I thought the RS4 sounded brilliant. I also have 3 kids so there are times, when comfort mode NEEDS to be comfortable.

HOWEVER, I have decided to call back to my dealership and have the factory optional RS Sports Exhaust (black tips) fitted... and NOT a miltek.

Having heard all the exhausts, the factory RS one has a better tone (subjective, I know) But I feel the Audi one screams much more (Ferrai-esque), what you would expect from a V6.

The miltek / Remus, just seem to be louder and a much more of a low grumble, not what a V6 sounds like in my opinion. The ABT one sounds great, but who buys an RS only to have quad pipes fitted!?!? 😂

That's my two cents anyway. Good luck with whatever you do!

My friend and I both ordered 2020 RS4’s, his without RS Sports Exhaust and mine with. After turning off the internal soundaktor our cars pretty much sound the same. I can’t figure out what the RS Sports Exhaust is really about. His silver tipped standard exhaust even has flaps in his muffler and look like my black tipped mufflers. Up on a lift, they look like exactly the same exhaust except for the colour of the tips. This leads me to think the option is rather unnecessary. Perhaps it is only cabin sound from the speakers and black tips, but physically the same.

DadRacerX
Neutral

Post by DadRacerX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 pm

I'm glad you told me this before I ordered it!

Has anyone tried the resonated Miltek?

For me, tone is just as important, if not more than decibels.

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm

DadRacerX wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 pm

I have one on order. I expect it to be bassier but not much louder as it is an EC Approved exhaust. I have had Milltek on various Audi V6’s in the past and that is the usual effect.

If you want a Ferrari high rpm tone, I would suggest a Tubi style
Exhaust. Awesome vintage F1 sound. It really wails with a trumpeted vowel-like tone.

However, best sounding exhaust to me is the AWE Tuning exhaust. This is the most convenient for you since it does not have valves to control.

These three brands are the few that are “voiced” with their brand’s DNA. Many other brands don’t have this. This is real skill.

DadRacerX
Neutral

Post by DadRacerX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:50 pm

Avantgarde wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm
DadRacerX wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 pm

I have one on order. I expect it to be bassier but not much louder as it is an EC Approved exhaust. I have had Milltek on various Audi V6’s in the past and that is the usual effect.

If you want a Ferrari high rpm tone, I would suggest a Tubi style
Exhaust. Awesome vintage F1 sound. It really wails with a trumpeted vowel-like tone.

However, best sounding exhaust to me is the AWE Tuning exhaust. This is the most convenient for you since it does not have valves to control.

These three brands are the few that are “voiced” with their brand’s DNA. Many other brands don’t have this. This is real skill.

I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the EC MIlltek!

Tubi Style sounds amazing!!

Just been out in mine, and i'm actually quite please with the stock! I'm sure a decent exhaust will change my mind though.

Gutted Akrapovic don't do one for the B9. Had one on a Golf R and it was amazing!

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”