MY21/22 Update?

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Re: MY21/22 Update?

Post by nastro azzurro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Yeh, out in 2022.
I’ve got my name down. Same engine / gearbox as M3 saloon. Prob be in competition spec only in uk so 510 bhp 8 speed auto.

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 pm

rjwojcik wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:52 pm
RS5 Owner wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:31 pm
BMW have announced it will be making an estate version of the new AWD M3 (over 500hp).
Audi need to get working on something that can compete with that?
Is that a defo now? Seen a few teasers but didn't think it was a confirmed.
I thought it has been official since the summer but since you raise the point, I did a quick google of "bmw g80 touring"
Found this video
https://www.facebook.com/BMW.M/videos/3 ... lc9lPaQbmz

That is the official BMW account (with the little blue tick)
That is the BMW M factory.
That is an M3 estate pulling out (they call touring as Audi call them Avanta) albeit in camouflage

I have often thought Audi RS was about fast 4WD estates but now BMW M are doing 4WD estates.
I think it is direct competition to the RS 4 which is going to need more than a facelift.
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

nastro azzurro
3rd Gear

Post by nastro azzurro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 pm

RS4 has had its facelift. I’d imagine it will be all new when the time comes.

rjwojcik
2nd Gear

Post by rjwojcik » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:33 am

RS5 Owner wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 pm
rjwojcik wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:52 pm
RS5 Owner wrote:
BMW have announced it will be making an estate version of the new AWD M3 (over 500hp).
Is that a defo now? Seen a few teasers but didn't think it was a confirmed.
I thought it has been official since the summer but since you raise the point, I did a quick google of "bmw g80 touring"
Found this video
https://www.facebook.com/BMW.M/videos/3 ... lc9lPaQbmz

That is the official BMW account (with the little blue tick)
That is the BMW M factory.
That is an M3 estate pulling out (they call touring as Audi call them Avanta) albeit in camouflage

I have often thought Audi RS was about fast 4WD estates but now BMW M are doing 4WD estates.
I think it is direct competition to the RS 4 which is going to need more than a facelift.
:thumbs:
Current:
2018 RS4 - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Scotty C
2nd Gear

Post by Scotty C » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 pm

Avantgarde wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:48 am
Massingham wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:34 pm
Hi

I'm just idly wondering whether to change my 2018 RS4 at some point over the next twelve months given that it will be 3+ years old and will have done 40-50K miles by the time i change. I know there was a minor facelift last year but does anyone have the inside track as to whether there'll be a further update in 2021 i.e. MY2022.
Mine’s a 2020 and I prefer the older model because I don’t have to touch the screen to work the functions of the infotainment system. I much rather use a knob and buttons.
The amount of screens and lack of physical buttons was one reason for me not upgrading to the C8. Instead, and for various other reasons, I opted for the Alpina B5 and thankfully this has dual control with either touchscreen or buttons/dials and I can honestly say I never used the touchscreen. The kids do and those fingerprints drive me nuts... plus it's much easier to keep your eyes on speed cameras and pot holes if you can use a physical control instead of taking your eyes off the road to find what you want.
Current: 2019 BMW Alpina - B5 Bi Turbo Touring
Current: 2014 Land Rover Defender 110 All Black
Previous: 2017 RS6 Performance - Misano Red with Black Styling Pack
Previous: 2014 RS6 - Misano Red
Previous: 2004 S4 Avant - Nogaro Blue
Previous: 2001 S3 Absolute Red

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Just seen this: 2022 RS4 could be a Hybrid: https://www.caradvice.com.au/871083/nex ... es-report/
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

quattro
Neutral

Post by quattro » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:22 am

MY21 RS4 should have some new feature vs MY20, but mostly software.
Audi Virtual Cockpit Plus Should have an additional view for RS mode, then Apple Car Play/Android Auto should work via Wi-Fi and the Amazon Alexa/Hey Audi voice commands should be added.
I hope they fixed the head up display view in RS mode without lap timer.
These all seem to me just sw update but I’m afraid as a my20 owner that we won’t be able to upgrade, probably the MMI HW ha changed too? (After 12m...)

About touchscreen: new MMI is ages better than the old MMI I had before, screen size is contemporary, but I miss the central wheel at the same time and the voice commands which should be used are not the same. I guess it’s a draw on the usability, but aesthetically the old MMI screen is horrible.
And I agree: my wife has a BMW and its infotainment has narrowed the gap which there was vs MMI. I might say it’s slightly better.

M3 touring hard competitor for our rs4.

spidmack
Neutral

Post by spidmack » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:35 am

Re the new M3 Touring. I will be very interested to see it. I did consider waiting for it but instead bought my 2020 RS4.
Prior to my RS4 I owned 3 BMW’s. My previous car was a 2017 M4 Competition.
One thing I was looking for when considering which new car to go for was a bit more comfort on a long journey. My M4 was a great car & I dare say felt more of an occasion every time I drove it. That said the suspension was much firmer than any of my RS4’s setting. It was noisier to. I suspect that the new M3 Competition won’t have the same duality as our RS4’s. I’m still amazed just how quiet & comfortable a ride my RS4 can be. Yet hit my RS button & it’s a beast.
I suspect the BMW M3 Touring won’t have as broad a range. It will still be an amazing car & probably feel more of an occasion each time you drive it but probably won’t have the same option of comfort. That’s my thoughts & why I purchased my RS4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannyboy123
1st Gear

Post by Dannyboy123 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:52 pm

So the configurator is back for the rs4 on audi uk. Looks like you cant get a flat bottom steering wheel any longer. There seems to be a new style round heated steering wheel as standard. Cant see many other changes except a slight price increase.

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 pm

RS5 Owner wrote:
Am sure that it will be a complete weapon but have you seen the new M3/4?! I have no idea what drugs they have been taking at BMW Design to think that it looks good but it's a complete abortion. Recently saw the M440i in the flesh and really hoped it was one of those 'it will look ok in real life' but nope. It's like the current 7 series....it's just gash. The new style grille is coming in for all sorts of abuse (it's amusing seeing the comments on BMW IG account...they blatantly ignore the many negative ones and only reply to the positive which is really daft as you are not addressing concerns of your customer base) and BMW may well be having another 'Bangle' moment.
To look at the M340i and see what could have been and then what they have done to the M3/4 is unforgivable imo. Real missed opportunity and that's me as an M fan as well.
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

Isleaiw
Neutral

Post by Isleaiw » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:56 pm

stevo55 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 pm
RS5 Owner wrote:
Am sure that it will be a complete weapon but have you seen the new M3/4?! I have no idea what drugs they have been taking at BMW Design to think that it looks good but it's a complete abortion. Recently saw the M440i in the flesh and really hoped it was one of those 'it will look ok in real life' but nope. It's like the current 7 series....it's just gash. The new style grille is coming in for all sorts of abuse (it's amusing seeing the comments on BMW IG account...they blatantly ignore the many negative ones and only reply to the positive which is really daft as you are not addressing concerns of your customer base) and BMW may well be having another 'Bangle' moment.
To look at the M340i and see what could have been and then what they have done to the M3/4 is unforgivable imo. Real missed opportunity and that's me as an M fan as well.
I think the new front is way better than the pig snout on the normal 3 series. 4 series is disappointing but its the rear 3/4 and rear that I dont like.

Bangle produced some of the best recent BMWs, especially the E60 and 61, and people just couldnt see it at the time but he was ahead of his time.

I had an M5 (F90) before the RS4 and whilst it was a great car, I never thought it was quite as well finished as I would have expected for a car that retailed at over 90k, and it just wasnt me as an every day driver. That wasnt the cars fault.....

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:18 pm

i like the new M3 M4 front ends remind me of the Pontiac Trans Am not that im i fan of American muscle cars ( i think there <beep>)
id look forward to seeing them in the flesh and also the Turing M3 when its out
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Isleaiw wrote:
stevo55 wrote:
RS5 Owner wrote:
I think the new front is way better than the pig snout on the normal 3 series. 4 series is disappointing but its the rear 3/4 and rear that I dont like.

Bangle produced some of the best recent BMWs, especially the E60 and 61, and people just couldnt see it at the time but he was ahead of his time.

I had an M5 (F90) before the RS4 and whilst it was a great car, I never thought it was quite as well finished as I would have expected for a car that retailed at over 90k, and it just wasnt me as an every day driver. That wasnt the cars fault.....
Audi have their design bang on imo, Mercs are touch and go and while the new BMW designs work well on some (M5/M8 even the X ones) but their desire to differentiate between M and non M’s has gone completely overboard. The front looks like one of the piggies off Angry Birds imo.
As I said I’m sure they will drive and handle like most M cars (I’ve had a few and loved them) but the looks for me are a complete ‘no thanks’ which is a shame as going back to an M3 was a future option.
Time will tell with sales and you always know when they’ve fcked up when a rapid facelift arrives early in the life cycle. M3/4 had this (albeit with suspension and damping tweaks) with the Competition models as the standard model was notoriously twitchy. I only owned the Comp so can’t compare but it was a wonderful thing to drive (in the dry!)

2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

Isleaiw
Neutral

Post by Isleaiw » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:48 pm

stevo55 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 pm
Isleaiw wrote:
stevo55 wrote:

Audi have their design bang on imo, Mercs are touch and go and while the new BMW designs work well on some (M5/M8 even the X ones) but their desire to differentiate between M and non M’s has gone completely overboard. The front looks like one of the piggies off Angry Birds imo.
As I said I’m sure they will drive and handle like most M cars (I’ve had a few and loved them) but the looks for me are a complete ‘no thanks’ which is a shame as going back to an M3 was a future option.
Time will tell with sales and you always know when they’ve fcked up when a rapid facelift arrives early in the life cycle. M3/4 had this (albeit with suspension and damping tweaks) with the Competition models as the standard model was notoriously twitchy. I only owned the Comp so can’t compare but it was a wonderful thing to drive (in the dry!)

I think Audi are losing their way with the latest designs, the new RS6 doesnt do much for me, a bit too flash and look at me, and the Q8, Q7, A6, A3 and Q2 are all a bit wide of the mark in my eyes.

I like the look of some Mercs, daughter has latest spec GLE350d which I think is bang on for the market its after. Son in Law had a C43 coupe which was nice, but not as nice as the E43coupe that preceded it.

I think Bangle was before his time and I reckon the E61 is still the best looking 5 series produced. I didnt like it as much when it replaced the E39 though. The Fiat Coupe was also a design before its time.

In 5 years, the new M3 will be rated more highly than the stupid grilles on the standard 3 G20 and G21..... maybe ;)

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”