Dip Stick and oil changes

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Jools
1st Gear

Dip Stick and oil changes

Post by Jools » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 pm

I like to check my oil manually and have a laser adjustable dip stick type 4807 that I used to use on my A4 TDI. I thought I would post this so other owners can do the same if they wish.
I also change my own oil in between the official Audi 18000 mile ones, so a dip stick comes in useful. I previously used a vacuum extractor which was slow and the thing kept collapsing on me. I've since bought a cheap 12v oil extractor pump of eBay that got the oil out in no time at all. I used a couple of 5 litre plastic bottles that I marked up in 500ml increments to dump the old oil into. I managed to get 7.5 litres of the supposed 7.6 litres out. The only problem I had was the hot oil soffened the pipes which then kinked easily so some careful routing was needed to keep the oil flowing!

It seems the electronic oil level monitor fitted to the car has about eight steps in it from min to max.
With oil at the full point according to the electronic gauge and the top stop on the dip stick set on the 55 mark, the oil then comes up to the 20 mark on the lower end.

I don't know what the equivalent min point will be though.

I hope this info is useful.

Jools

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Re: Dip Stick and oil changes

Post by RS Owner » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks that's useful. :thumbs:

I know there is no such thing as a dumb question but I'm scared to ask, does the 2.9 V6 engine actually have a dipstick tube?
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:36 pm

RS5 Owner wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:10 pm
does the 2.9 V6 engine actually have a dipstick tube?
I will answer my own question in the hope that this will help someone who (like me) was embarrassed to ask.
The dipstick tube is at the front of the engine on the left side (near side in UK).
Big break came when I realised the engine cover can be lifted off quite easily (no toolkit required). :mrgreen:
IMG_1416 - shows the tube.png
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

Rwg
1st Gear

Post by Rwg » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:33 pm

Hi,
Did you manage to get a dip stick for your rs4 b9 ?
Cheers
Paul

Jools
1st Gear

Post by Jools » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:55 am

I would not recommend having a dip stick in your engine all the time.

By all means use one to check the oil level 'at the weekend' but I would then remove it and replace the stopper.
The reason for not leaving a dip stick in, is you cant see where the bottom of it is in relation to any rotating parts in the bottom end.
I wouldn't want to damage the engine because a bit of the dip stick gets broken / shaved off and ends up blocking something up.

I think they keep a dip stick tube for two reasons.
1. When being serviced the stick can be used to quickly check the oil level when refilling instead of having to wait for the MMI software to allow an oil level reading using the electronic sensor. Time saving.
2. To allow an oil extractor to be used if necessary, I can get all but 200ml of oil out of the engine using an extractor when doing interim oil / filter change.

I hope my observations help.

Rwg
1st Gear

Post by Rwg » Tue May 16, 2023 7:50 pm

Thanks for reply, all makes good sense to me now.
Can we buy a dip stick for service checks only, would Audi be the only option, have tried to Google but no joy as yet.
Cheers
Paul

Jools
1st Gear

Post by Jools » Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 am

Paul
I use a Sealey VS600ED, I'm afraid I don't know what the Audi genuine part number is.
First check your electronic oil level to get a reference point.
If you are going to check your oil when it is cold then let the engine and oil cool down.
Remove the dip stick cover and insert the dip stick.
If you previously read 80% full on the electronic oil level meter then move the top adjustable stop on the dip stick which effectively adjusts the overall length of the dip stick and changes the position of scale to match the 80% position.

Really the exact position doesn't realy matter, you are looking for an unexpected 'drop' in oil level that is what you're after.

I hope this is helpful.

Rwg
1st Gear

Post by Rwg » Thu May 18, 2023 8:37 pm

Great info, part ordered many thanks

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”