exhaust clatterring

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Tweaky
3rd Gear

exhaust clatterring

Post by Tweaky » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:09 pm

I have left my car at my local Audi dealer today as the exhaust is really clattery when i first start it up when cold. Serveral people have commented on it, and i also have on my OBDeleven an exhaust valve fault that keps reoccuring. fingers crossed it has a faulty valve which can be sorted and with any luck make the car a bit louder :biggrin2:

I have also not once had the stop start work since i bought the car in December so they are looking into that along with an annoying rattle from the passenger side. Interestingly i have the same problem with my carbon engine cover that others are having, the clips seem to break and the cover lifts at the back corner. SPeaking to the Audi guy this morning about it, he said that Audi UK have recognised it as an ongoing problem and had suggested a new glue to use on the clips (however they cannot supply it at the moment and suggested that the dealership bought some on ebay - not what i was expecting i must say, but i guess just so long as they are happy to guarantee it what do i care). Hopefully i will be a happy chap when i collect it this evening. :kissmyrings:
MY18 RS4 Carbon edition in Nardo

paulread69
1st Gear

Re: exhaust clatterring

Post by paulread69 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi Tweaky, how old is your car and how many miles has it done? Mine only had 5900 and 9 months old and both exhaust valves were seized. The motors made a clunk clunk clunk clunk noise when starting up and shutting down while it tried to operate the valves. They are non serviceable and both rear boxes were replaced under warranty (Actual cost would have been £2800).
I now cover them in ACF50 regularly and apply grease to the spindle.
Rgds
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:33 pm

The car is just under 2 years old and has 11000 miles on it. The main dealer said that is wa\s showing an intermitent valve fault but have done a software update which shuold have sorted ti out along with my start stop not working problem, but it has not made a difference to either. The exhaust was not clattering fotr a couple of days but now is back to the way it was. It is embarassing if anyone is near by. I have gone from starting my old B8 with that lovely sound that was a pleasure to hear to a clanging clicking exhaust....not good. I would simply put an aftermarket exhaust on it, but dont want to have the droning problems that lots seem to come with

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Have you looked at the valve operation yourself. Valves should be open when engine is off. They close on start up. On the MMI ask someone to change drive select from auto to dynamic while you observe the valves open and close when selecting auto.
They make one click each time as the motors open or close.

How far do you drive and what temperature does oil get to? A/C off, heating normal 21/22 degrees?
Engine in D not S
Once up to temp and battery charged no ac running my stop start works.
Are you going to Goodwood breakfast club on 1st March?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Photo with traffic jam assist and normal.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 pm

I have the air on switched to econ so would imagine that shouldn’t interfere with it too much. Car is warming up fine as I am on motorway for a couple if junctions on the way to work, oil temp is similar to your pic I am pretty sure. I will visually check the valves as you suggest, I can’t believe I stupidly have not done that already. Do you know if the only valves in the exhaust are the ones you can see in the pipes?

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:13 pm

I believe there are 3 valves, 2 which you can see in the tail pipes and another at a Y junction. That middle valve diverts exhaust to the left pipe at low speeds/revs and when the engine is cold, unless the exhaust is in dynamic mode. I noticed nothing coming out of the right pipe on idle and queried this on the forum and with my local Audi dealer. Both said it was correct which was reassuring.
I have more news about Ghost but will mention in the right thread.

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 pm

I checked the rear valves in the exhaust the other morning when doing a cold start. Right hand
Pipe valve is closed, the left hand pipe valve clunked open then shut straight away, then proceeded to open and close about 7 or eight times.... most strange. Surely that can’t be normal?

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Definitely not normal. If you are at Goodwood breakfast club on Sunday morning we can compare. PM me.

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 pm

For anyone looking, Goodwoods breakfast club for this Sunday has been cancelled.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”