One year on - still very happy

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
KiwiRS4driver
Neutral

One year on - still very happy

Post by KiwiRS4driver » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:24 am

Well, it’s just coming up to a year since I took delivery of my B9 RS4. I’ve done only around 8000km, but I have to say that overall, I’m still extremely happy with the car. On the open road it is just awesome, and it’s equally comfy and drivable around the city.

Only niggles, and the are very minor, are:
1. Radio/audio comes on automatically each time you start up, even if it was turned off last time you were in the car (I think this is common across all current Audi models)
2. Bit of brake squeak, but as others have said, it’s a feature of round-town driving, and some heavier open road use sorts it out.
3. Park sensors have a habit of coming on and beeping warnings in slow-moving traffic queues. This seems to be the “auto” feature being too keen start the system, assuming low speed means you are about to park.
4. Had to buy a separate data SIM card and install in the glove box in order to get the Google maps overlay on the sat nav to work consistently. It still defaults back to standard about every 5th start-up or so, and I have to go in and re-select Google earth.

Overall though, just a brilliant car, and one which just begs you to go and let it off the leash....
2014 Mini Cooper S (gone)
2012 Mini Cooper S (gone)

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Re: One year on - still very happy

Post by PieterZ » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:31 am

Mine is a year too, I have 26k km.
Love it too!
I never had the map issue, sometimes it takes a little time though.
All black B9 RS4

0xSam
1st Gear

Post by 0xSam » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:29 am

Got mine since feb. 2018 with 20k km on the clock. Great car, hasn't changed since day one :)

No issues so far (Except the upholstery replaced on the drivers seat).
-Audi RS4 B9 | HRE P107 20" - Gloss Black
-Nissan GT-R MY2015

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Had mine a little over a year now too
It’s on 17k miles, and no real niggles at all
Best RS4 of the ones I’ve had easily
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:50 pm

15000 miles. Some niggles with DRC but all sorted now and very happy. A keeper.

bakerstreet
Neutral

Post by bakerstreet » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 am

One year on and have actually now recently moved on, i did 12000 miles and it was my daily. A fantastic car with only very few minor irritations.

1) I had the same google earth issue for the sat nav
2) cycling through the modes to get to S Dynamic was a PITA each time you started too
3) Passenger seatbelt also rattled against the side of the car
4) the leather on the seats was looking a bit worn and tired after a year
5) the windscreen washer cap was just a poor fit and poor execution of what i thought was a great design/location

All of these are utterly minor and for that to be all that was wrong with such a fantastic car is nothing really. The issue was the overall driving experience and mainly beyond the speed, such as the sound. It was ultimately too clinical for me and I simply wanted more drama. So, have just moved to a c63s estate and i have to say it is utterly bonkers. I drove it home exactly how i had been driving for the last year in the RS4 and nearly crashed about 3 times from losing the rear end. Not a chance does the c63s handle or grip like the RS4 on normal roads but to be honest the sound of the engine and the cracks from the exhaust in race mode are enough to compensate. I now fear rainy days as opposed to love them. Will pick up a B9 again in 3 years time when they are about £30-£35k and any issues have appeared/been fixed and add to the garage. Its been great, but time to see where the C63s takes me.
2018 RS4 - Daytona Pearl; Silver interior; 19's;
2014 GTR Black Edition (sold)
2011 M3 V8 (stolen - out in the wild somewhere!)
2004 Carerra 4S 996 (sold - absolute money pit)

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:46 pm

bakerstreet wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 am
So, have just moved to a c63s estate and i have to say it is utterly bonkers. I drove it home exactly how i had been driving for the last year in the RS4 and nearly crashed about 3 times from losing the rear end. Not a chance does the c63s handle or grip like the RS4 on normal roads but to be honest the sound of the engine and the cracks from the exhaust in race mode are enough to compensate.
I can't see Mercedes sticking with RWD for much longer with the C class.
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 pm

bakerstreet wrote:
One year on and have actually now recently moved on, i did 12000 miles and it was my daily. A fantastic car with only very few minor irritations.

I also encountered the passenger seat belt issue - is fixable by sliding the plastic guide under the buckle tongue up the belt - that would have sorted it (thanks to S4Tokyo for that). :bigblink:

I kept mine for 6 months, massively competent both in raw speed and ability to consume road with no apparent limit, completely faultless. It's an Audi RS - it's supposed to be a bit wild, capable of scaring the driver if not treated with respect for the performance available - to have 'character'...and that's the bit that was missing - like Audi built a perfect car and engineered the excitement out. Some bits of the RS4 were not good enough - brakes being one and the other being the B&O sound system.

I went back to an RSQ3, very nearly as quick as the RS4 (quoted 4.4 vs 4.1s to 60) with 367 PS available, the 5 pot 2.5 makes a fabulous noise and I have no doubt that if I'm not careful it would fly off backwards into a hedge. Better brakes (best brakes I've ever had in a road car), 8 piston/4 pads per calliper Brembo jobs and the wavy discs - for some reason the B9 RS4 shares it's brake callipers with the S4/S5/SQ5/A8 and Q7 - they are adequate and no more than that - they should be epic as this is the RS flagship - I suppose Ceramics was the way to go. The RSQ3 has a properly sorted Bose sound system - think of wearing headphones - it's that kind of quality. The RSQ3 is maybe two generations of tech behind the B9 - nothing to nag you and apply the brakes in an emergency stop if an unknown thing is wandering around in the road ahead... However there is nothing that get's past the fact that an RSQ3 is an ugly bus compared with a B9 RS4 which is elegant, understated and near perfect to behold - I'm glad I've experienced one.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:10 pm

RS4John wrote:
bakerstreet wrote:

I also encountered the passenger seat belt issue - is fixable by sliding the plastic guide under the buckle tongue up the belt - that would have sorted it (thanks to S4Tokyo for that). :bigblink:

I kept mine for 6 months, massively competent both in raw speed and ability to consume road with no apparent limit, completely faultless. It's an Audi RS - it's supposed to be a bit wild, capable of scaring the driver if not treated with respect for the performance available - to have 'character'...and that's the bit that was missing - like Audi built a perfect car and engineered the excitement out. Some bits of the RS4 were not good enough - brakes being one and the other being the B&O sound system.

I went back to an RSQ3, very nearly as quick as the RS4 (quoted 4.4 vs 4.1s to 60) with 367 PS available, the 5 pot 2.5 makes a fabulous noise and I have no doubt that if I'm not careful it would fly off backwards into a hedge. Better brakes (best brakes I've ever had in a road car), 8 piston/4 pads per calliper Brembo jobs and the wavy discs - for some reason the B9 RS4 shares it's brake callipers with the S4/S5/SQ5/A8 and Q7 - they are adequate and no more than that - they should be epic as this is the RS flagship - I suppose Ceramics was the way to go. The RSQ3 has a properly sorted Bose sound system - think of wearing headphones - it's that kind of quality. The RSQ3 is maybe two generations of tech behind the B9 - nothing to nag you and apply the brakes in an emergency stop if an unknown thing is wandering around in the road ahead... However there is nothing that get's past the fact that an RSQ3 is an ugly bus compared with a B9 RS4 which is elegant, understated and near perfect to behold - I'm glad I've experienced one.
Tbf the RS4 is a lot quicker than that, 3.3s to 60 when I was at Rockingham.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Suspect the current weapon is similarly up on the quoted figure - I've never encountered anything on the road that's quicker off the line (that or they are just so surprised that a school-run wagon could be that quick)...
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:57 am

On the seat belt rattling on the plastic side of the passenger seat
I sorted this by sticking a piece of velcro on the area where the buckle hits the seat
This is not really visible as the pillar hides it
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”