Fuel consumption/tyre pressures

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Tiger1
Neutral

Fuel consumption/tyre pressures

Post by Tiger1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:48 am

Green one has finally arrived, handled like a pig on the way back from the dealer, and wasn’t too impressed. Poor front end feel, very jiggly and rattled my fillings!
Anyway after a day or two it occurred to me to check the tyre pressures....sure enough, they were all different, and front left was 5psi above recommended, one of the rears was 3 psi under. Sorted those with an independent gauge (anyone got any thoughts on the accuracy of the one on the car?) and now it’s a dream. Has transformed the car, and it’s genuineky getting under my skin 👍
Seen a few other posts re fuel economy, mostly saying around 28 ish, but I thought I’d report having had 33.9 on a 120 mile run, though it included a bit on the 50 limit in the roadworks on the M1.
Geezer reviewing on YouTube reckons he saw 39..... but I’m wondering if that’s remotely possible in the real world. I can’t see it.
Realise it’s more about smiles per mile, but it’s still interesting.
Here’s another question for anyone who might have done proper long runs....am taking it down to the med soon.....will have dog, luggage, roof box. Does anyone have any data on range per tank on such runs and whether the result are different between super and bog standard fuel? I’ve only run it on super so far.
Mild niggle is that with dash in sport setting it seems you cannot avoid having the right hand section dominated by the sat nav if you have a destination running.

RS4John
3rd Gear

Re: Fuel consumption/tyre pressures

Post by RS4John » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:43 am

Glad you are enjoying the car.

I suspect that the TPS is inaccurate, as is the fuel consumption indicator - you'd like to think that it's derived from some sort of fuel flow meter wouldn't you? Like other vehicles in the range it's a calculated number from a data table so not real-world at all so almost any mpg number you see on the dash is optimistic at best. To obtain a real consumption figure you have to brim the tank and reset the trip at the next fill-up divide the litres used by 4.54 to get back to gallons and then divide the result into the distance travelled on the trip. Anything better than a 26mpg average is a bonus. I've tried 95 and 99 octane fuel and can't see a difference fuel economy or feel any additional performance - but as the cost difference between the two for a tank of fuel is about £3 mine lives on Tesco Momentum 99.

Yup - Satnav adds direction stuff to the right window on the dash - you don't need it if you have the HUD do you?
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Tiger1
Neutral

Re: Fuel consumption/tyre pressures/wrapping

Post by Tiger1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:21 am

Yep, got head up display.... quite like it, but it means potentially you can have directions shown in 3 or 4 places all at once.... seems a bit of a waste, or at least could be option to override the right hand section.
Another mild waste of space is the constant picture of an A4 in one of the dash settings.
It’s arrived with Hancook tyres, which seem great, but I’ll go Michelin next time.
Have also noticed that in every trip there’s a very mild split second cough/stutter as it warms up about 4 or 5 minutes into the trip, during a gear change, and the 360 display (as opposed to the graphic) doesn’t always kick in without prompting. But I’m nit picking.
Without particularly pushing it, seems to be the fastest thing on the road at any given time 😃. The motor is certainly a gem. Paint, wheels and brakes alles sehr gut 👍
I’m thinking of getting the silverwork wrapped in black if anyone happens to know a good provider?

AndyL
Neutral

Post by AndyL » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Ive had a slightly over 38mpg (when taking it easy) on a 50 miles run up to manchester (about 30 miles of M6, two thirds of which are 50mph road works), the rest of it is A roads. That was with 2 adults, 2 kids and half a boot of stuff. I run my tyres at 39psi all round.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Mine has averaged 28 mpg over 15000 miles since new. Best I ever see on long journey is 32-33.

Gig80
Neutral

Post by Gig80 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Best I have seen is 39.3mpg worst 13mpg for a trip avg.
I find the long steady motorway runs very easy but the cold short town driving a killer especially when the stop start chooses when it wants to kick in.
5k in and avg around 26mpg all in all for the car not bad.
I just want to add that just had a new q5 tfsi for a few days and that wasn’t much better than the 4 for fuel ..

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Post by PieterZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 am

Tpms system is spot on. I have an accurate tire inflator, reads the same as in dash.
Fuel consumption sucks on shorter cold trips.
Average I get 12l/100km.
Only motorway at legal speeds that goes down to around 8.9l.
All black B9 RS4

RS4John
3rd Gear

Re: Fuel consumption/tyre pressures/wrapping

Post by RS4John » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 am

Tiger1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:21 am
I’m thinking of getting the silverwork wrapped in black if anyone happens to know a good provider?
I got a quote from Wrapart in Birmingham https://wrapart.uk/
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”