New member....need the basics

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Tiger1
Neutral

New member....need the basics

Post by Tiger1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am

Had the great pleasure to see my first RS4 B9 in the flesh yesterday - A superb red one owned by John 👍
I have bought a green one, but haven’t seen it yet, whilst the dealer does some tweaks.
Thanks for your time John, but I had the wrong Worzel Gummadge head on and didn’t jot down all the sensible recommendations regarding security and software. Wondering if I could trouble you and the good members of RS246 to fire them across again.
Also.... I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere on here, but the child in me wants to know if the 174mph option is still actually a limiter, and what it would do if that were removed too. It seems a bit of a coincidence that the B8 also did 174mph (280kph?).

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Re: New member....need the basics

Post by PieterZ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 am

Yes, that is a limiter. And welcome!
All black B9 RS4

Tiger1
Neutral

Post by Tiger1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you, nice to be here, and browsing the conflabs.
So, any ideas on what it’d do without any limiter at all?

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Doubt it can be done as ecu is triple encrypted.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Tiger1
Neutral

Post by Tiger1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Kill joy 😃
But I guess that answers the question, in that it’d be entirely academic.

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Welcome to the board Tiger, it was good to meet you yesterday too, much more pleasant than the following hour in the dentist!

Software tweaks - I use an OBD11 device https://obdeleven.com/en/, unless something has changed it only works with Android phones and tablets. So far I've turned off the headlamp washers and the synthetic SoundAktor device.

Security - The RS4 is in the top 10 most stolen cars in the UK (but not has vulnerable as a LR Discovery (Specsavers vouchers on the dashboard required??), I and some other members here have had Autowatch Ghost devices fitted. Even with the keys in hand let alone having hacked the Audi's security system as the car is keyless the thief would be unable to get it into reverse or drive. It's a minor faff keying the code using a combination of interior buttons each time you drive it but peace of mind that it's more likely to be where you left it for the next day. I used these people - did an excellent job. https://www.trackingmycar.co.uk/

Re the 174mph thing (are you nuts??), it's built into the engine ECU, so far I don't think the encryption has been cracked by anyone...
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Tiger1
Neutral

Post by Tiger1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Very good to meet you too. With all the various theft tactics these days I’m surprised you opened the door when I approached, but I did put on my best “normal person” face.
😃😃 maybe nuts, re the 174mph..... mostly I’m interested for bragging rights in the pub, but I do a few miles on autobahns each year so you never know.... In any case it’ll be enough for my other half to break her personal autobahn speed record next time out.
Thanks for the tips. Again from a security perspective I’m going to try to attach a short vid of the remote control bollards I mentioned, if I can work out how. They are very good. A few minor teething problems and telephone tennis, but (touch wood) been working well. From ATG Access. You may remember a segment on the TV show Fifth Gear some years back, of a truck driven into a bollard. It’s them.
I haven’t seen the rails in the boot yet (mine has them too), will they be uncomfortable for the dog?
When the car arrives, I’ll tap you up to show you. As I mentioned, I was indecisive going for green at first, but gradually thinking it wasn’t a ludicrous choice.

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:21 pm

For the dog - you need a load-liner minimum and that would cover the rails -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-16-1 ... rk:24:pf:0

My brother-in-law is a dog owner and uses a hatch bag:https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/audi-a4-avan ... lroad-s4-2, the perfect solution for a mucky dog.

I would have loved a Sonoma green car - there was one in the UK for sale back in October when I was looking and the dealer down in Brighton had an unrealistic idea of it's value (i.e. thought the huge list of options still had value when in fact they don't), the Misano has grown on me - otherwise known as the red beast..

Bollards - always interested. Mine is garaged (in fact the insurance company specified has to be garaged when at home from 11pm until 7am). Images and videos need to be externally hosted here.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

cuttsy
2nd Gear

Post by cuttsy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:18 pm

RS4John wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Security - The RS4 is in the top 10 most stolen cars in the UK
Hi John

Just out of interest is this the B9 or a more general RS4 reference?
I struggle to get my keyless entry to work most days and I have the keys!

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Cuttsy

I think it's RS4s generally - the last time I looked there were less than 600 B9 RS4's registered.

I don't use the Keyless entry - it's turned off. It's two easy to brush past the car and unlock it - and not having it turned on makes a crims life one step harder or he sits on broken glass.
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 pm

The only time I've seen RS4s specifically mentioned on stolen lists (rather than just Audi) is on the Tracker top ten stolen / recovered list. This is very different from being on the top ten stolen list (although Audi as a company will most certainly be in the top 10).

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”