Autowatch Ghost 2

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Re: Autowatch Ghost 2

Post by Terminator_X » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:36 pm

paulread69 wrote:Ok, you would have known if it did, because the dash lights up with lots of fault Error messages!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah I see, no fault codes with me then. Thought you meant codes you'd need to scan for.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm

I have just had one fitted to my car and if you put the wrong code in the engine starts then stops virtually straight away and i get the dash light up with engine fault. However if i then put the correct code in it all starts ok and i have no fault codes showing on dash. Its a bit of a pain in the arse really, but if it stops the car getting stollen then i will stick with it.
MY18 RS4 Carbon edition in Nardo

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Thanks for replying. Although the fault codes are not shown on the dash after the correct start sequence is done, the codes will be in memory.

HOWEVER you “might” notice some things not working properly until you clear the codes using VCDS or similar. Two that I noticed were:
Doors not locking automatically after driving away and
Adaptive Cruise Control would not engage. All 100% fine after clearing fault DTC codes.

Have you mentioned to the installer? Can you buttons other than just the window switches? I can only use window switches and think over time it will strain the motors as they aren’t designed to work like this.

I’m eager to hear your reply, oh and have you tried Bluetooth? I haven’t tried that yet.

Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I know window switches and door mirror joy stick controls work. To be honest i haven't tried to change the code...am a bit too nervous just incase i cant get the flippin thing to start. I bought the car from Sedgley in Manchester a few days ago and they had a company fit the Ghost, but i live 4.5hours away so not too convenient to go back. In hindsight i should have had the ghost fitted myself buy a company local to me here. If it is going to cause problems with the general working of the car i will probably just have it removed. I did use the adaptive cruise on my way home from Manchester after putting in a wrong code and it worked ok. I have noticed when i turn the ignition on ready to put the code in i have an engine warning light come on and stay on, but as soon as the engine starts it goes out.....not sure if that is normal or a spin off from the Ghost. I haven't tried bluetooth yet, it that when you can just use your phone to unlock the Ghost? I did install the app on my phone but haven't got any further yet.

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi what you described with the engine management light is correct.

I did not know the mirror joystick works, how about the seat memory buttons and the door lock buttons?
I guess we just need to be at home with a spare 15 minutes to try things out

I haven’t used the App yet, like you too nervous about screwing it up. Bluetooth is using the App, I believe the App needs to be running on your phone, I.e. open but I am not 100% sure

What would be nice to know is when using the app, if you still have to press the start button first, wait for any lights flashing or if you can just press the brake and start as normal?

I’ve had the car for 9 months and did drive it a couple of weeks before getting Autowatch II fitted. So immediately I could see what was different.

The Audi boffins have tried to programme the car, almost pre-empting our actions, but this combined with Autowatch makes life confusing and a bit long winded.

Scenario: 1 the way Audi programmed the car.
1. Drive somewhere
2. Place car in park and apply parking brake
3. Observe stop start is “Ready”
4. Disconnect your seatbelt and now the Audi boffins have decided for you that you have completed your journey, watch tacho go to off and then the car shuts down!

So I did similar after having Autowatch fitted, but I only stopped to open a locked gate. I thought the engine had stopped in stop start fashion, so when I got back in to drive through the gate it didn’t start. I tried to start the car per the normal Audi procedure but Autowatch didn’t like that, it wouldn’t accept my code, I was getting in a panic sitting in the middle of a road with an immobilised car.

Eventually I started the sequence from scratch, but it wasn’t fun.

Experimenting at home understanding the workings is what’s needed. If you do screw up the code, it will mess things up, not terminally, but enough to need a reset. I must have done at least 4 resets in the last 9 months because even though you know the code, it’s not always clear when you need to input it, and one wrong input throws up faults (some visible to you and some not).

If you discover more, please let us know so we can share our findings with others.

Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Paul

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:50 pm

when you say reset, what are you doing? i must confess i havent had the stop start work once in the few days i have had the car, i wonder if that is to do with the ghost and fault codes?

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:57 pm

VCDS Reset all DTC diagnostic trouble codes.
You can also use a system called Carly and other diagnostic tools.

Stop start won’t stop the engine when running in Dynamic engine/ gearbox mode. If A/C load is low and vehicle up to temp etc it should kick in. Sometimes you can force it to stop by turning the switch off and back on and the engine stops. There are lots of nice things you will notice about the car and how it behaves that Audi sales people have no idea about! What’s your location?

I’m in Surrey
Paul

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 pm

Ok thanks for that info, perhaps i will need to look at getting one of those fault code reader tools. Im in Hampshire.

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:23 pm

It’s certainly recommended to keep it free of errors as well as useful to know whats going on.

Anyway if you have any questions feel free to ask me, I am just happy it’s not only mine that shows this behaviour. I think different installations give different results I.e. locking the gear lever etc

What options/ packs does yours have?

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:55 pm

i have the carbon edition which is pretty well speced. The options i dont have are...
HUD - Would have liked it but as i have never had it i wont miss it
Ceramic brakes - I don't track my cars so i don't see it is necessary
DRC - have had before....nice when it works and a pain when it doesnt - I didn't want this option
Dynamic steering - Not for me thanks
Tow bar - Would have liked this option but seem pretty rare and can't fit to mine for some reason now even though it was a factory option when new?

As far as i am aware it has everything else.

I must say I am loving the car and tech on it. My B8 was well optioned also and loved that car for 4 years, but the B9 seems a much quicker car in most i not all situations. The only pain in the arse is the ghost, but i am getting into the swing of he startup proceedure. i will look into the bluetooth dissarming after Christmas when life has settled back to normal again. I would imagine younwill need to still turn on the ignition and then wait for the double flash before starting. it will just bypss the button pushing/pulling.

I will let you know how i get on :)

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Sounds nice. FYI you can have a tow bar fitted if you don’t have DRC and all the nice features are coded.
Autometrix in Bristol do it. £750 for original wiring removable unit.

I have HUD, it’s nice but I also look down, old habits.

https://youtu.be/l-nDwHZWNQs

paulread69
1st Gear

Post by paulread69 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Sorry I meant Automotive control

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 pm

oh thanks for that information i will give them a call.

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:07 pm

they have confirmed that they can fit a removeable tow bar with all the correct Audi wiring, which is encouraging as all everyone else seems to say is no. I have ordered an OBD eleven bluetooth diagnostic tool so i can remove fault codes caused by the ghost. I wonder if my stop start might work then.

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:54 pm

Tweaky wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:07 pm
I have ordered an OBD eleven bluetooth diagnostic tool so i can remove fault codes caused by the ghost. I wonder if my stop start might work then.
I bought an ODB11, in mycase to disable the stop start function. It didn't work for me. I would expect it to be better at clearing codes. Let us know how you fare?
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”