All issues and niggles with the B9 RS4

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
RS4John
3rd Gear

Re: All issues and niggles with the B9 RS4

Post by RS4John » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 pm

The squealing brakes is an easy fix - a thread elsewhere for that. The Google map reverting to standard map seems to be an Audi feature going back my 2009 A5 Cab (1st gen of 3G MMI), every Audi I've had since have had the same issue - it's almost as though the nav processor periodically flushes it's data cache and needs a manual re-start. It does, for definite, download the Google map as a series of interlinked image tiles which must consume storage space so maybe it just get's to an overflow point and resets. I see the park function wake up and default to the graphical display - seems to be related to the wretched 'Assist' function waking up when least needed.

Patchy iPhone integration is oft repeated thread across multiple forums, not just Audi - some issues seem to be attributable to Apple selectively implementing only parts of the Bluetooth protocol stack.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Post by PieterZ » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 pm

That’s why I have bought mine in Germany, at an RS dealer point. So far I’m happy with the service, and also the price of the car and service.
They know what they are doing, issues have been dealth with, fast and problem solved.
Belgian dealers however... same sad story. Most in my county are owned by the same investment group.
I used to have a VW Years ago, maintenance was always an adventure, went through 3 dealerships.
All that worked well was the cash register.
All black B9 RS4

Foxy
2nd Gear

Post by Foxy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Markp wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 pm
Mine stutters when cold at low revs but only for a hundred yards. No issues. I don't mind it, it is minimal and feels like a grumpy high performance engine from back in the day. It is a fab car, don't be put off. I moved down from a C7 because of the size and weight - and I wanted a lower profile car. I know live in my 4 using it for everything. Much better drive on the sorts of roads I drive (rural Glos). And de-badged few people have a clue what it is.
Thanks Mark, my pals car does a little more than cough when cold but from reading on here it may be an isolated problem, the only common denominator being Audi service, but they're no worse than other manufacturers. I have a similar mind set, love my RS6 (its a PE) but it is heavy and I miss the nimbleness of the my previous RS4 B8 but I don't altogether get your point about lower profile, I actually think the B9 is a bit shouty (chrome bits, wheels, scoops) and I was worried about attracting the wrong attention when I ordered my RS6, so went Daytona with no badges and have actually had a few people ask me if it's an RS6! Did you get unwelcome attention in your RS6?

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Foxy wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:34 pm
Markp wrote:
Mine stutters when cold at low revs but only for a hundred yards. No issues. I don't mind it, it is minimal and feels like a grumpy high performance engine from back in the day. It is a fab car, don't be put off. I moved down from a C7 because of the size and weight - and I wanted a lower profile car. I know live in my 4 using it for everything. Much better drive on the sorts of roads I drive (rural Glos). And de-badged few people have a clue what it is.
Thanks Mark, my pals car does a little more than cough when cold but from reading on here it may be an isolated problem, the only common denominator being Audi service, but they're no worse than other manufacturers. I have a similar mind set, love my RS6 (its a PE) but it is heavy and I miss the nimbleness of the my previous RS4 B8 but I don't altogether get your point about lower profile, I actually think the B9 is a bit shouty (chrome bits, wheels, scoops) and I was worried about attracting the wrong attention when I ordered my RS6, so went Daytona with no badges and have actually had a few people ask me if it's an RS6! Did you get unwelcome attention in your RS6?

6 attracted a lot of attention (it was Daytona on 20s) - all good - but no one has commented on RS4 at all (silver with RS6 concave 20 alloys). Just looks like a beefy A4.

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Markp wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm
Foxy wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:34 pm
Markp wrote:

6 attracted a lot of attention (it was Daytona on 20s) - all good - but no one has commented on RS4 at all (silver with RS6 concave 20 alloys). Just looks like a beefy A4.
Mine's pretty subtle compared to a similar spec and performance BMW or AMG merc (mine's nardo with black wheels and black styling pack, so no chrome)
You get a few comments, but they're all positive and only people that know cars, know it's a decent performance car whereas most just think it's an Audi A4 with big wheels
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:40 pm

graeme4130 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:51 pm
RS5 Owner wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:19 pm
graeme4130 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:43 pm
Took it to Audi Tetbury, who said the oil level with a manual check is ok
I wonder how that is possible. Does it have a hidden dipstick?
I guess it must have as they just said they have a ‘mechanical check method’
If it is similar setup to the V8 fitted in the RS5, the oil level indicator is primarily on the MMI, but there is a facility to check it manually. Under the nearside air intake ducting from the plastic cover of the the slam panel, there is a plug on the block which has to be removed to insert a dipstick. It isn't visible without removing the piece of trunking. You also obviously need a dipstick to do this :lol: . Dealerships have one which has different level markings for different engines.

Wgtngti
Neutral

Post by Wgtngti » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:10 am

Really didn't want to be posting in this section after 4 days of ownership.....
Got an odd issue where the car won't start after sitting for around 10-12 hours so basically over night. This is happening every morning.

Press the starter button and the all the lights come on but no engine - not even trying to turn over.
This happens for 10 - 15 attempts - then it fires up an all is well, not repeated for the rest of the day.
Dealer says to take it in, He's unaware if this happening before, has anyone experienced this?
2019 RS4 Sonoma Green
2017 VW Tiguan R Line
2008 VW Golf GTI
1983 VW Golf GTI

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:20 am

A friends A6 had something similar. Turned out it was the brake pedal sensor not talking to the ECU as you have to have your foot on the brake to start it, and it was thinking it wasn't being pressed
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Wgtngti
Neutral

Post by Wgtngti » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:48 am

graeme4130 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:20 am
A friends A6 had something similar. Turned out it was the brake pedal sensor not talking to the ECU as you have to have your foot on the brake to start it, and it was thinking it wasn't being pressed
Thanks, will have a look into that. :)
2019 RS4 Sonoma Green
2017 VW Tiguan R Line
2008 VW Golf GTI
1983 VW Golf GTI

Wgtngti
Neutral

Post by Wgtngti » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 am

graeme4130 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:20 am
Hey Graeme4130 thanks for the tip, stomping on the brake seems to work, started on th button this morning :D
2019 RS4 Sonoma Green
2017 VW Tiguan R Line
2008 VW Golf GTI
1983 VW Golf GTI

KiwiRS4driver
Neutral

Post by KiwiRS4driver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Running a bit rough when cold seems to be a common theme. Mine is definitely a bit “precious” and jumpy for the first 100m or so down the road when cold, but comes right after that. A colleague had more of the kangaroo hopping experience - had it back to the dealer and eventually they swapped him out into a fresh car (the Audi dealer here is absolutely excellent).

I’ve noticed the transmission can also be a bit jerky around 5th/6th when driving around town at very light throttle (individual driving mode set to auto for the transmission) - only perceptible on smooth surfaces as it feels very much like a small bump in the road. Again I put that down to a sport-tuned transmission doing its best to behave politely when running at a fraction of its true potential - same issues don’t arise when accelerator pedal and carpet are united 😄

I also have a tailgate issue - the door switch will open the tailgate, but not close it, which is a bit annoying if the kids grab their school bags and take off without pushing the button on the tailgate.

DItto the Google maps re-set to standard sat nav issue. Happens about every 5th or 6th start-up, and I agree it is probably a periodic memory cache emptying issue of some sort.

Overall, these are all minor, minor issues and I am still absolutely loving this car after a year of ownership and 10,000km now.
2014 Mini Cooper S (gone)
2012 Mini Cooper S (gone)

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:54 am

Tailgate is designed that way, but can be coded to shut too on door switch, I think...

bing0r
Neutral

Post by bing0r » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Car is currently with Audi as of Last Friday 12th of July. Had some warning lights that came on the Dash.

1. Audi side Assist and exit warning system fault.
2. Automatic Headlight fault.

I had this issue before back in Feb, but went after a few days, whilst waiting for an appointment with the dealer, so cancelled the visit.

However booked in via Audi Assist this time and got booked in straight away with them.

Got an update today and looks like the power supply for the computer that controls those units needs to be replaced.

Also worryingly, they also noticed a oil leak from the gear box, which they are also fixing under warranty. Possibly a gasket. I did not notice this myself, but i seem to recall other people having this issue perhaps on this forum or audi-sport.

Also have the dreaded brake squeal!!! its annoys me to no end. Still no word on this from them. I will ask again when i get an update.

Hopefully should have the car back by the end of the week. Audi has kindly arranged an Audi A6 Avant as a loaner. Nice car, but feels a bit too big and not a fan on the touch screen in the new Audi's. Feels a bit clunky and more difficult to use when driving.

Other than these issues, car has been fine for me.
Current: 2018 RS4 B9 Avant
Gone: 2013 RR Evoque Dynamic Lux - Petrol
Gone: 2008 Mazda RX8 40th Anniversary Edition

SSerx_R
Neutral

Post by SSerx_R » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:09 am

ZF8 shifting in long gears is a bit rough, specially if you are slightly touching the gas.
335i N54 Touring: 450hp
RS4 B9 450hp

Family cars time!

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:58 pm

The squealing brakes is an easy fix - the hard bit I suspect will be getting Audi to pay for it.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”