Cooling fans go wild.

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Graeme4130
Cruising

Re: Cooling fans go wild.

Post by Graeme4130 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:58 am

I had something similar on mine. One of the cylinder head thermostats were faulty, and the engine light came on
It ran what I think was the oil cooling fan all the time, so my car sounded like a passenger jet about to take off
Was fixed under warranty
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

davis1888
Neutral

Post by davis1888 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 pm

The power of the forums, had an issue tonight and remember reading this post last month...

Drove about 20 miles this evening and as I pulled up at a junction there was an awful lot of noise coming from the fans, drowning out the noise of the engine. Fans running full blast with engine on and for about 5 mins after engine turned off at a lower fan speed. Started the car to drive back and it kicked back in immediately, fans on full blast.

Engine temp sat between 52 degrees and 57 degrees on way home, would always expect a little higher when giving it a push along with the right foot. Water temp raised 1 notch above the 90 degrees as reported by another user. Lifted the bonnet and engine was reasonably cold when compared with the heat I’ve felt off it before after a 40 mile run out.

Figure this might be a faulty thermostat as suffered by one of the German users on here. Car still under warranty, so will be dropping it into the stealership to get sorted.

davis1888
Neutral

Post by davis1888 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Car has been in the workshop for 2 days to get this fixed, they called today (day 3) to say I could take it back and then phoned again shortly after to say that the Master Technician (who I'm told is quite anal about his work :thumbs: ) wanted to check it all over again today to make sure everything was working as planned.

Not sure how invasive the work is to replace the thermostat, i.e. where is it located in the engine / engine bay as one of the previous comments mentioned having to take a the front bumper off, etc to get into it + another comment mentioned a cylinder head thermostat which sounds like a more invasive piece of work.

Always worry when you start opening cars up like that, especially one loaded with technical options, camera's, sensors, etc that there is always some sort of knock on impact and niggly faults after. Very much looking forward to getting it back as the 19 plate 1.4 TFSI 150PS Manual A4 Saloon they gave me is not really cutting it :D Though oddly as it's in Nardo Grey all my neighbours have been asking if I've got a new car, never said a thing about the RS when I got it :bash:

Gio G
Neutral

Post by Gio G » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:47 pm

I also have this issue on my RS5 on Saturday, seems to be a bit of a theme... My cooling fan is going crazy from cold start up. However I yet to have an engine check light come on. However the start/stop disabled itself, but now working. Not really used the car since. Would I be safe to drive to dealer within 15 miles?

G

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Post by PieterZ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:12 pm

No problem, just don’t floor it as the oil doesn’t heat enough.
I drove mine more than 100 km with blazing fans.
All black B9 RS4

Gio G
Neutral

Post by Gio G » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 am

So mine is now in the dealer, as the part was on back order. I never got an engine check light and the fan issue just went away, as soon as I took it into the dealer first time, which is typical.... They said I could drive it with no problems until part arrived.. Did a drive to Wales, some 500 mile return trip and no problems, then suddenly day before scheduled work, engine light comes on and fan starts going crazy again.. They said it was a fault with the map controlled thermostat.. nearly £1,000 to replace + labour, thank goodness for warranty!

Gave me an A5 40 TFSI as a courtesy car, my word it's slow :)

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Post by PieterZ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:36 am

I never got to now the amount, that is steep for a thermostat!
Hopefully that isn’t due any more after warranty.
All black B9 RS4

bing0r
Neutral

Post by bing0r » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:56 pm

My RS4 has also gone in today with what sounds like a broken thermostat issue as others have posted on here. Fan's going crazy on startup, resulting in oil not coming up to temp. Also got a check engine light on and warning that start / stop is not working. Also coolant temps are also one notch above 90 where it normally is at temps.

To top it off, got a flat tyre which needs replacing too.
Current: 2018 RS4 B9 Avant
Gone: 2013 RR Evoque Dynamic Lux - Petrol
Gone: 2008 Mazda RX8 40th Anniversary Edition

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Post by PieterZ » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 pm

davis1888 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 pm
The power of the forums, had an issue tonight and remember reading this post last month...

Drove about 20 miles this evening and as I pulled up at a junction there was an awful lot of noise coming from the fans, drowning out the noise of the engine. Fans running full blast with engine on and for about 5 mins after engine turned off at a lower fan speed. Started the car to drive back and it kicked back in immediately, fans on full blast.

Engine temp sat between 52 degrees and 57 degrees on way home, would always expect a little higher when giving it a push along with the right foot. Water temp raised 1 notch above the 90 degrees as reported by another user. Lifted the bonnet and engine was reasonably cold when compared with the heat I’ve felt off it before after a 40 mile run out.

Figure this might be a faulty thermostat as suffered by one of the German users on here. Car still under warranty, so will be dropping it into the stealership to get sorted.
Exactly what I had. I’m Belgian btw. 😉
All black B9 RS4

J88NOG
Neutral

Post by J88NOG » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:44 am

Morning All,

Just a note to say that my car has just had a faulty map-controlled thermostat replaced under warranty @ approx. 16k miles.

We had the 'jet taking off' fan symptoms and arranged to get the car looked at (though no engine light). Once in the workshop the issue was confirmed and replaced pretty quickly.

This looks like a pretty common fault, and I'd assume this has been a manufacturing defect with a batch of the thermostats. I wonder how many RS4's have been affected, as there are quite a few on here already.

J

s4tokyo
2nd Gear

Post by s4tokyo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 pm

J88NOG wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:44 am
Morning All,

Just a note to say that my car has just had a faulty map-controlled thermostat replaced under warranty @ approx. 16k miles.

We had the 'jet taking off' fan symptoms and arranged to get the car looked at (though no engine light). Once in the workshop the issue was confirmed and replaced pretty quickly.

This looks like a pretty common fault, and I'd assume this has been a manufacturing defect with a batch of the thermostats. I wonder how many RS4's have been affected, as there are quite a few on here already.

J
I had this issue twice on my B8 S4 and once on my B8 RS4. It's an unresolved problem, given the amount of respective forum posts - at least too common for a premium mid segment car. You'd expect that Audi would have sorted this first time around - revised Design or new Supplier:(
Current :Sonoma Green. Ext Black Pack, Carbon 'Ext/Eng Cover/Int trim', Sports Exhaust, RS Sports Int., Pana Sunroof, Matrix Lights, Park & Drive Assist pkg., Speed limiter removed, Titanium-Anthracite 20".
Previous : B8.5 RS4 Daytona Gray
Previous : B8 S4 Ibis White

Johnnie5
Neutral

Post by Johnnie5 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Just had the same thing last week.

Fans went wild. Kept firing up again everytime I started the car. Start stop was disabled and CEL light in amber came on.

I gently took car home. Although it felt and operated normally (except sounding like a jet).

Audi assistance diagnosed the faulty Thermostat next day and it's being replaced as we speak.

J

Crawfc
Neutral

Post by Crawfc » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 pm

bing0r wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:56 pm
My RS4 has also gone in today with what sounds like a broken thermostat issue as others have posted on here. Fan's going crazy on startup, resulting in oil not coming up to temp. Also got a check engine light on and warning that start / stop is not working. Also coolant temps are also one notch above 90 where it normally is at temps.

To top it off, got a flat tyre which needs replacing too.
I have had exactly both these scenarios this weekend - both.

Seems a pattern building. Over 10 days just to get it actually into Tunbridge Wells Audi. Poor service.

Last time it went there one of tyres came back 1 bar higher than it should have been. Clearly well road tested as warning came on immediately I left forecourt

How long is the UK warranty ?

Tweaky
3rd Gear

Post by Tweaky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 pm

I have just developed the same fault with my car, but have to now wait 3 weeks or so before it is safe for my local dealership to reopen and check it out. I did connect up with my OBDeleven, and it did say somthing about a faulty sensor along with a couple of other warnings, one of which was somthing about a cylinder sensor.
MY18 RS4 Carbon edition in Nardo

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:31 pm

I just had this starting with me
So will get it in to be sorted already explained to Audi its a common fault and it is the thermostat that is sticking
so will see if they have one in stock
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”