To carbon or not to carbon

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Iannorwich
Neutral

To carbon or not to carbon

Post by Iannorwich » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 am

Apart from just wanting one, can’t make sense of buying a “normal rs4” with a good spec against a carbon, the prices just don’t add up. I’m not buying new, so there are also more none carbons on the used market. What’s people’s thougts?

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Re: To carbon or not to carbon

Post by PieterZ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:07 am

Looks great, but expensive.
Car doesn't run a mile faster. 😀
All black B9 RS4

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 am

I had the same dilemma, aside from the gorgeous wheels I figured if the silver elements (which are growing on me now after a couple of weeks) continued to irk then I could have a high quality carbon-fibre wrap done of the offending items. If I'd bought the car new then I'd spec'd a black pack and been happy.

On the subject of 'not buying new' and there being good spec 'normal RS4' on the market - the Audi network now has a few ex Audi UK Press cars with almost every available option - I bought one (now on my personal plate) but was KW67 M** - built late 2017 and reg'd in January 2018. Some of the ex press cars have a configuration that wasn't offered for sale in the UK such as a lunar silver headliner and load rails with all the accessories in the boot.

To dodge the bullet of initial brutal depreciation of buying new and getting almost all the expensive options it seemed worth the risk.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:19 pm

RS4John wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 am
I had the same dilemma, aside from the gorgeous wheels I figured if the silver elements (which are growing on me now after a couple of weeks) continued to irk then I could have a high quality carbon-fibre wrap done of the offending items. If I'd bought the car new then I'd spec'd a black pack and been happy.
I don't think the black pack could be spec'd with the Carbon Ed.
(and Rotors could only be spec'd on a Carbon :audibash: ). So the car Audi showed in its marketing could not be spec'd in the UK.
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:29 pm

When I ordered (start of this year), I formed the opinion that the only reason to get the Carbon Ed was to get rotors (was only way to get rotors in UK).

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Post by PieterZ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:04 pm

I bought mine with the edge wheels and black gloss trim in Germany.
Really daft that you’re obliged to have the CF pack to have these in the UK.
All black B9 RS4

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I hope Audi UK drop the Carbon Edition when the configurator comes back. All other markets have just the RS4 and they can add any options including (I believe) other RHD markets like Aussie/NZ so it's not like Audi can't make them.

J88NOG
Neutral

Post by J88NOG » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am

RS5 Owner wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:19 pm
RS4John wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 am
I don't think the black pack could be spec'd with the Carbon Ed.
(and Rotors could only be spec'd on a Carbon :audibash: ). So the car Audi showed in its marketing could not be spec'd in the UK.
I had this problem when ordering - I had a carbon edition on order but changed it once I saw the silver trim in person, as it just wasn't for me. You could technically recreate the carbon edition by adding the extras in (or at least those that you wanted) and then ordering the wheels from the parts department. I thought this would result in a marginal uplift over the carbon edition price, but I was very wrong! The carbon edition did offer quite a saving on the options, and when the dealer quoted £2,500 a wheel for the carbon edition wheels I almost fell off my seat.

I ended up just ticking the options I wanted, including the exterior and interior carbon and black black, and stuck with the standard 19"s. It was still an expensive way of doing it, which annoys me.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”