First impressions

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
RS4John
3rd Gear

First impressions

Post by RS4John » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm

So hustled the 2015 340PS RSQ3 down to Newbury this morning (has been a cracking car for the last 2.5 years and 39,000 miles) and collected the RS4 with 6200, probably very hard miles on the clock.

The RS4 is a much more refined vehicle than rather it's predecessor which was ferociously quick almost all of the time without ever having to resort to 'S' mode; the RS4 is capable of being even more rapid but delivers the pace it in a much more subtle way. I like it :bigblink: The ride quality (DRC) in comfort mode on 20s is kind of 'floaty', not unpleasant though and despite almost all the reviews suggesting there wasn't much feedback from the steering it seems pretty reasonable to me. The brakes of the RS4 are OK, but not in the same league as the wavy disc/8 pot jobs that the RSQ3 had - I believe they were shared with the RS6, roll on EBC getting pads to market, I'll be having a set for sure.

Having been built for Audi UK as a press car (and delivered by DHL according to the handbook cover to Audi UK) it has a couple of non-price list features - a lunar silver head liner, which goes well with the lunar silver seats and load rails in the boot floor. I've never had an Audi with load rails and was surprised to see all the fittings, posts and straps (completely unused) in a compartment in the forward boot floor - keeping the locking wheel adaptor nut company.

All the interior tech is fabulous, despite being familiar with Audi MMI going back many years I find this iteration it a bit counter-intuitive - maybe that's just me. The extended interior light pack is a really lovely touch and makes the interior super special at night - being able to select different colours for separate areas of the interior looks so tasteful - should be standard spec at this price point. The driving assist aids are amazing in capability but I've happily managed without most of it for the last 44 years of driving - might be tempted to try the active cruise - does one have to supress a sense of paranoia?

This car has the phone box option - seems to work well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 which supports the wireless QI charging standard, I'm not sure why Audi feel the need to pop a message in the centre display to say that the phone is charging wirelessly every few minutes - maybe they had trouble getting it to work??

I've never owned a car with a HUD - rather like it, the OBDEleven tool seems to be able enhance the data shown, shall have to have a play with that.
Last edited by RS4John on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Re: First impressions

Post by Terminator_X » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Well done, great cars.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:24 pm

RS4John wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm
So hustled the 2015 340PS RSQ3 down to Newbury this morning (has been a cracking car for the last 2.5 years and 39,000 miles) and collected the RS4 with 6200, probably very hard miles on the clock.

The RS4 is a much more refined vehicle than rather it's predecessor which was ferociously quick almost all of the time without ever having to resort to 'S' mode; the RS4 is capable of being even more rapid but delivers the pace it in a much more subtle way. I like it :bigblink: The ride quality (DRC) in comfort mode on 20s is kind of 'floaty', not unpleasant though and despite almost all the reviews suggesting there wasn't much feedback from the steering it seems pretty reasonable to me. The brakes of the RS4 are OK, but not in the same league as the wavy disc/8 pot jobs that the RSQ3 had - I believe they were shared with the RS6, roll on EBC getting pads to market, I'll be having a set for sure.

Having been built for Audi UK as a press car (and delivered by DHL according to the handbook cover to Audi UK) it has a couple of non-price list features - a lunar silver head liner, which goes well with the lunar silver seats and load rails in the boot floor. I've never had an Audi with load rails and was surprised to see all the fittings, posts and straps (completely unused) in a compartment in the forward boot floor - keeping the locking wheel adaptor nut company.

All the interior tech is fabulous, despite being familiar with Audi MMI going back many years I find this iteration it a bit counter-intuitive - maybe that's just me. The extended interior light pack is a really lovely touch and makes the interior super special at night - being able to select different colours for separate areas of the interior looks so tasteful - should be standard spec at this price point. The driving assist aids are amazing in capability but I've happily managed without most of it for the last 44 years of driving - might be tempted to try the active cruise - does one have to supress a sense of paranoia?

This car has the phone box option - seems to work well, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 which supports the wireless QI charging standard, I'm not sure why Audi feel the need to pop a message in the centre display to say that the phone is charging wirelessly every few minutes - maybe they had trouble getting it to work??

I've never owned a car with a HUD - rather like it, the OBDEleven tool seems to be able enhance the data shown, shall have to have a play with that.
They are all six pot aren't they? And my RS4 brakes are superb - at least as good as my C7 RS6 - although not used them in major anger yet.

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm pretty certain that the enormous Brembo jobs in the previous weapon were 8 pot - each caliper had 4 pads in. For something that derived it's platform from a golf it was slightly OTT in the stopper department.
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Current are 8 aren't they? All RS's the same?

TX.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:00 am

Terminator_X wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:24 pm
Current are 8 aren't they? All RS's the same?

TX.

I thought they were all the same and six but not looked, only going on spec online. I shall stick to what I know....

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I've read that the current S4 is using a 6 pot calliper - the number of disc pads each side would be a clue.
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Markp wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:24 pm
They are all six pot aren't they? And my RS4 brakes are superb - at least as good as my C7 RS6 - although not used them in major anger yet.
Yes, defo looks like 6 at the front (without stripping it down based on steel not carbon)
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”