S mode vs Dynamic

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Re: S mode vs Dynamic

Post by Terminator_X » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Mike afaik proper dynamic has a different map that only "turns on" when you cycle the modes after ignition on eg not the same as a dynamic start and just pull back for S on gearbox.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

bakerstreet
Neutral

Post by bakerstreet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Yes, select D by pulling back into the D position, then do the same action again and it alternates into S, same again reverts to D. The difference between D & S? sit on the motorway at 70 and it will be in D8, pull back the gear selector into S and it will drop to S6 for the same road speed. If you have the HUD it displays this too. S just keeps it in a lower gear for longer.

I just leave it in Dynamic the whole time, and select S straight away by doing a "double shift" from start up. Being in S also disables the start/stop too which is an added bonus.

TO be honest they should just have it set to S Dynamic from the factory and not bother with D Comfort - who the heck wants to drive around in D Comfort....
2018 RS4 - Daytona Pearl; Silver interior; 19's;
2014 GTR Black Edition (sold)
2011 M3 V8 (stolen - out in the wild somewhere!)
2004 Carerra 4S 996 (sold - absolute money pit)

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:48 pm

bakerstreet wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 pm
Yes, select D by pulling back into the D position, then do the same action again and it alternates into S, same again reverts to D. The difference between D & S? sit on the motorway at 70 and it will be in D8, pull back the gear selector into S and it will drop to S6 for the same road speed. If you have the HUD it displays this too. S just keeps it in a lower gear for longer.

I just leave it in Dynamic the whole time, and select S straight away by doing a "double shift" from start up. Being in S also disables the start/stop too which is an added bonus.

TO be honest they should just have it set to S Dynamic from the factory and not bother with D Comfort - who the heck wants to drive around in D Comfort....
I do. S makes me feel like a teenage Saxo driver (unless I am in a hurry) - always at least one gear lower than I need to be in a torquey 450 bhp car, and revving too high in town. But then my car is de-badged and silver. Must be getting old ;)

PS I have a GT3 and 2CV to rev the bollocks off

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Yes Mark, it is well established you is too old bruv.

However, bakerstreet you only need a single pull on the lever to get into S mode. But I think you are missing the point of my question. I know that S will have the car in a lower gear than D. And it will open the exhaust flaps. And it will turn on the crack and pop map. And most importantly it changes the throttle mapping to be much more sensitive / responsive and increases the rev gear change point. My question is, is there a difference between starting the car in dynamic and just pulling the lever to go into dynamic S mode, or scrolling through the drive select modes to get back into dynamic. To me they both feel the same so instead of cycling drive select modes I just pull the lever back for an identical experience. Unless someone can tell me there is a difference?

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Afaik cycled dynamic changes the map (at ignition on) vs S gearbox only doesn't. No hard evidence though.

TX.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Changes the map of what?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Quicker gear changes, holds the revs, pops and bangs on over run etc. Stuff you don't get just by leaving the car in dynamic at ignition on.

TX.

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:56 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 pm

However, bakerstreet you only need a single pull on the lever to get into S mode. But I think you are missing the point of my question. I know that S will have the car in a lower gear than D. And it will open the exhaust flaps. And it will turn on the crack and pop map. And most importantly it changes the throttle mapping to be much more sensitive / responsive and increases the rev gear change point. My question is, is there a difference between starting the car in dynamic and just pulling the lever to go into dynamic S mode, or scrolling through the drive select modes to get back into dynamic. To me they both feel the same so instead of cycling drive select modes I just pull the lever back for an identical experience. Unless someone can tell me there is a difference?
Mike I remember that in my C7 every time I started the car up in any dynamic mode , on tick over in D the exhaust flaps were closed then pull the lever back for S flaps opened putting it back to D the flaps would close again. But then if left in D and I scrolled through the drive select all the way around the modes and back to dynamic then the flaps would stay open even in D. I even went to Audi and they couldn’t give me an answer as why it wouldn’t just stay open from the start. It was the same on my sons B8 RS4. You won’t notice it because your valves are disconnected.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Terminator_X wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 pm
Quicker gear changes, holds the revs, pops and bangs on over run etc. Stuff you don't get just by leaving the car in dynamic at ignition on.

TX.

My C7 has all that as long as I pull the lever back into S mode. I never cycle modes any more. I just pull the lever back when approaching roundabouts and junction for better throttle response and higher gear changes then back into D once up to normal speed. Pretty sure there is no difference, or at least a discernable difference. I think I read, or discovered myself through testing that the only difference was exhaust flap openings eg in proper dynamic made but in D the flaps will still be open but in start up dynamic mode the flaps will only open is S mode unless you cycle modes. However, as stated, flaps are always open so no difference for me. Start up dymaic and S mode definitely goes into the sharper engine throttle map and gear changes.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Eddie555 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:56 pm
MikeFish wrote:

Mike I remember that in my C7 every time I started the car up in any dynamic mode , on tick over in D the exhaust flaps were closed then pull the lever back for S flaps opened putting it back to D the flaps would close again. But then if left in D and I scrolled through the drive select all the way around the modes and back to dynamic then the flaps would stay open even in D. I even went to Audi and they couldn’t give me an answer as why it wouldn’t just stay open from the start. It was the same on my sons B8 RS4. You won’t notice it because your valves are disconnected.
Yes, that's exactly my findings as I just wrote above. Moral of the story is disconnect your valves then no need to cycle modes ever again. You can have a loud exhaust without the pops and bangs in while in Drive mode.

OU812
1st Gear

Post by OU812 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 pm

It’s a shame pulling back for S doesn’t open exhausts flaps as that would be perfect, for me at least.

OU812?

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm

MikeFish wrote:
You youngsters are so cheeky ;)
At least I run my cars in gently for you all - we codgers have our uses.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm

RS4 Owner wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm
Markp wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:09 pm
Slightly off topic - is it possible to start the car in quiet mode. Mine always be blares in noisy mode irrespective of what setting I was last in.
Thanks
Mark
Presumably you mean the cold start.
Ask a coder for a "cold start delete". Certainly could be removed on the M3. Though I have not heard of many people doing much coding on the RS4 or 5.
The cold start is usually OK with the standard exhaust but it can be obscenely loud with some aftermarket exhausts hence some people have it deleted it as it's just an emissions thing.
Mine does it whether hot or cold. Embarrassing at times.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Markp wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm
MikeFish wrote:
You youngsters are so cheeky ;)
At least I run my cars in gently for you all - we codgers have our uses.
Us (middle aged) kids can afford new cars innit.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Markp wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm
RS4 Owner wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm
Markp wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:09 pm
Slightly off topic - is it possible to start the car in quiet mode. Mine always be blares in noisy mode irrespective of what setting I was last in.
Thanks
Mark
Presumably you mean the cold start.
Ask a coder for a "cold start delete". Certainly could be removed on the M3. Though I have not heard of many people doing much coding on the RS4 or 5.
The cold start is usually OK with the standard exhaust but it can be obscenely loud with some aftermarket exhausts hence some people have it deleted it as it's just an emissions thing.
Mine does it whether hot or cold. Embarrassing at times.
Is it cold start or choke? When you normally start the car cold it will be in a cold start mode and have some choke. The choke has a higher idle. Normally the choke will go back to normal and revs drop but the car is still loud due to the cold start mode.
I wouldn't expect either if these on a warm car though.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”