Hi All, M3 owner contemplating change to RS4

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Re: Hi All, M3 owner contemplating change to RS4

Post by Terminator_X » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Some people like to drive around in a new car so if the "monthlies" fit then why not. You can always get out of it at the end so you most definitely are not "locked in". New cars and to a lesser extent cars generally lose a fortune fact so if you have a problem with that buy old and cheap.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

ColinG
Neutral

Post by ColinG » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm

kmpowell wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 am
Paulm wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am
Cars are expensive that will never change
I agree with that in essence, but over the past 2 years Audi RS models have also got significantly more expensive, and GFV's have reduced. That is what in reality has changed. Due to these two fundamental changes a B9 RS4 now costs a minimum of £10k extra over exactly the same term than an equivalent B8 RS4 did. That's all before you even start looking at how the discounts available on a B8 make that £10k cost double on a B9.

I don't think anybody thinks a car will earn them money, but for each person there does comes a point where enough is enough, and for me (even though I could afford a B9 if I wanted), I think it's madness to spend £40k just to drive a car for a few years with nothing to show for it at the end. Sure there are people who can afford to lose such money but they are no longer your average punter.

PCP's used to be a tool for consumers to finance the depreciation and have a bit of equity to roll into a new car which in turn keeps people in a brand, sadly it's now a tool to completely lock people into the brand. Personally I think PCP's need to be investigated and clear regulations set. Heck, even on this thread people have been suggesting 'monthlies', when in reality they mean absolutely nothing in the totality of a PCP deal. The market/costs have changed, but the financial product is still being sold as the same, that's morally wrong IMO.

Completely agree, when the F80 M3 came out in June 2014 it was literally insane spec with ceramic brakes and all that would be £69/£70k list price, just 4 years later and it’s now very easy to spec an M3/4 to over £80k.

However, the final payment has in most cases increased, resulting in cheap monthly payments but almost no chance of getting out of it with any equity for the next car.

This is obviously going to be the case with my current car, it’s final balloon is around £27000, and yet with just under 2 and a half years remaining, it’s current trade value is £38k.

Audi seem more keen to get me into an RS5 than a 4 so that’s another option but to be honest I can see me actually downgrading a class next time, I’m finding the RS3 very appealing right now and can pick up a brand new one with spec for about £48k.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 am

ColinG wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm
kmpowell wrote:
Paulm wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am
Cars are expensive that will never change
I agree with that in essence, but over the past 2 years Audi RS models have also got significantly more expensive, and GFV's have reduced. That is what in reality has changed. Due to these two fundamental changes a B9 RS4 now costs a minimum of £10k extra over exactly the same term than an equivalent B8 RS4 did. That's all before you even start looking at how the discounts available on a B8 make that £10k cost double on a B9.

I don't think anybody thinks a car will earn them money, but for each person there does comes a point where enough is enough, and for me (even though I could afford a B9 if I wanted), I think it's madness to spend £40k just to drive a car for a few years with nothing to show for it at the end. Sure there are people who can afford to lose such money but they are no longer your average punter.

PCP's used to be a tool for consumers to finance the depreciation and have a bit of equity to roll into a new car which in turn keeps people in a brand, sadly it's now a tool to completely lock people into the brand. Personally I think PCP's need to be investigated and clear regulations set. Heck, even on this thread people have been suggesting 'monthlies', when in reality they mean absolutely nothing in the totality of a PCP deal. The market/costs have changed, but the financial product is still being sold as the same, that's morally wrong IMO.

Completely agree, when the F80 M3 came out in June 2014 it was literally insane spec with ceramic brakes and all that would be £69/£70k list price, just 4 years later and it’s now very easy to spec an M3/4 to over £80k.

However, the final payment has in most cases increased, resulting in cheap monthly payments but almost no chance of getting out of it with any equity for the next car.

This is obviously going to be the case with my current car, it’s final balloon is around £27000, and yet with just under 2 and a half years remaining, it’s current trade value is £38k.

Audi seem more keen to get me into an RS5 than a 4 so that’s another option but to be honest I can see me actually downgrading a class next time, I’m finding the RS3 very appealing right now and can pick up a brand new one with spec for about £48k.
Having tried both I'd pay 20k extra to be in a RS4. Indeed that is what I did.
No regrets.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 am

Markp wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 am
ColinG wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm
kmpowell wrote:

Having tried both I'd pay 20k extra to be in a RS4. Indeed that is what I did.
No regrets.
PS forget equity, as highlighted, it is total cost that matters most. If total cost is less, better low deposit and monthlies and very high balloon if than the other way around. If equity is important, put any money saved something aside every month into a separate account (better you hold the money than Audi).Plus handing the car back because it is worth less than the balloon makes it easier to deal next time around IMO.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”