Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Re: Rs4 b9 issue

Post by Avantgarde » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:39 am

wazaB wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm
Trickrider wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm
I have had exactly the same, very momentary loss of power but not as frequent as you have had, you’d hardly notice it but it does happen. Definitely when cruising, can’t remember what speed, has happened enough to make me think about it. One of those things that would be impossible to replicate or explain to a dealer mechanic though, I remember thinking that when it had happened a few times, I guess might get picket up on computer.
The dealer workshop had confirmed they had replicated it and also stated they had another B9 RS4 which they took for a drive and said it did the same thing. Their explanation is that its a 'characteristic' of the engine/ecu part of fuel saving. That didn't wash with me as there are some who have not experienced this and the fact that when this happens the fuel consumption goes down!

Anyway, I have rejected the car not only for that but the actual build quality is a joke. All the doors and windows creak really badly. And I don't accept cleaning and putting silicone grease on all the seals should be required on a brand new car. Well now 6 months old, but they have creaked since around 1000 miles and progressively getting worse. Had my B8 for 3.5 years and only a DRC had to be replaced and that was in the first few months. No creaking or nothing...
Are they giving you a refund?

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:05 pm

Not sure what they will offer. They legally have 8 weeks to investigate my claims, write report and issue to me. Right now it's around 6 weeks mark so hopefully not long left to wait!

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Avantgarde wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:39 am
wazaB wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm
Trickrider wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm
I have had exactly the same, very momentary loss of power but not as frequent as you have had, you’d hardly notice it but it does happen. Definitely when cruising, can’t remember what speed, has happened enough to make me think about it. One of those things that would be impossible to replicate or explain to a dealer mechanic though, I remember thinking that when it had happened a few times, I guess might get picket up on computer.
The dealer workshop had confirmed they had replicated it and also stated they had another B9 RS4 which they took for a drive and said it did the same thing. Their explanation is that its a 'characteristic' of the engine/ecu part of fuel saving. That didn't wash with me as there are some who have not experienced this and the fact that when this happens the fuel consumption goes down!

Anyway, I have rejected the car not only for that but the actual build quality is a joke. All the doors and windows creak really badly. And I don't accept cleaning and putting silicone grease on all the seals should be required on a brand new car. Well now 6 months old, but they have creaked since around 1000 miles and progressively getting worse. Had my B8 for 3.5 years and only a DRC had to be replaced and that was in the first few months. No creaking or nothing...
Are they giving you a refund?
They have thrown back my rejection on the basis there is no fault. So its now down the further action path....

quattro
Neutral

Post by quattro » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:02 pm

Build and assembly quality is getting worse for all automakers. Only Bentley and perhaps Rolls Royce seem to be maintaining certain standards. Porsche is also getting worse I’ve been told. Not to ma ruin Tata-Land Rover.

I am bothered by certain noises in my B9. Audi A4 B5 and B6 not to mention the C5 were masterpieces in comparison. But I’ve been driving a 2017 S3 for some times and it was better (maybe cos smaller?) than this RS. More and more plastic. More and more ECUs. This is the result.

Dealers have that heavy commercial pressure on them: they have to sell the Q3s, Q5s, fleets of A6, hybrid cars. They don’t want to spend their time with passionate RS drivers who really care about their cars. Customers/drivers nowadays don’t care/are too ignorant even to understand the flaws of their cars. Volume over quality. Price over quality.

The B9 RS4 design is unquestionable. The driving pleasure and traction, the harmony of the drivetrain, the agility on alpine roads make me forget the annoyances. I'm not changing it because I'm afraid it's the last combustion engine RS4 and I think it might be a car to keep.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:06 am

My B9 is beautifully put together. Everything still feels/looks great after 32k and 3 years.

spidmack
Neutral

Post by spidmack » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:12 am

quattro wrote:Build and assembly quality is getting worse for all automakers. Only Bentley and perhaps Rolls Royce seem to be maintaining certain standards. Porsche is also getting worse I’ve been told. Not to ma ruin Tata-Land Rover.

I am bothered by certain noises in my B9. Audi A4 B5 and B6 not to mention the C5 were masterpieces in comparison. But I’ve been driving a 2017 S3 for some times and it was better (maybe cos smaller?) than this RS. More and more plastic. More and more ECUs. This is the result.

Dealers have that heavy commercial pressure on them: they have to sell the Q3s, Q5s, fleets of A6, hybrid cars. They don’t want to spend their time with passionate RS drivers who really care about their cars. Customers/drivers nowadays don’t care/are too ignorant even to understand the flaws of their cars. Volume over quality. Price over quality.

The B9 RS4 design is unquestionable. The driving pleasure and traction, the harmony of the drivetrain, the agility on alpine roads make me forget the annoyances. I'm not changing it because I'm afraid it's the last combustion engine RS4 and I think it might be a car to keep.
Hi, my previous 3 cars were BMW’s.
The last one a M4 Competition it had a mechanical issue in the engine (fixed the 4th visit) & a couple of buzzes in cabin (then again it had firm suspension)
The one before was a BMW 640D Gran Coup M sport. The drivers seat motor failed a month from new. It had a known issue on the passenger seat which took over 4 visits to fix.
Then I also owned a BMW 635D. It leaked water into the cabin. This took over 3 lengthy visits to fix. The window surrounds had a paint flake issue which led to them being replaced as did the rear badge.
I still really enjoyed the BMW’s & am a fan of the brand.

My September 2020 B9.5 Vorsprung to date, has had no issues. The cabin as far as buzzes & rattles is the best car I’ve owned. There just ain’t any. Due to lock down I have only done around 2.5k miles.
So far I’m very impressed with the quality.

A few cars back I owned a MK Audi TTS. It had many issues. The rear parcel shelf broke, a horrendous scrapping noise under the car appeared at 2 months old. It was in the dealer for a month to fix this. It also had rusted hubs at under 3 months old. They were all replaced. It also had an issue with the burglar alarm. In that it would go off randomly. Plus I mean randomly. For example outside my house during the day or night which didn’t delight my neighbours or as I drove through the UK, Germany, the Netherlands. I can recall my girlfriend saying “can you not stop it?” as I drove. There was no way to stop it & no police stopped me. In the end it was towed away by Audi rescue. It was in the garage around 5 times for the alarm issue.
So as I say many years ago I wasn’t impressed with my MK2 TTS. Plus my previous 3 cars which were all BMW’s had issues. Not as bad as my TTS but I still had reluctance to jump to another Audi. I’m not regretting it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, food for thought as they say.

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm

These days, all the dealers are part of billion dollar enterprises (no owner operators I know of). They will have large legal departments who do this sort of thing every day. They are match fit.

I have read quite a few posts on various forums about someone saying they rejected their car and it was easy and they encourage others to reject their cars also. The issue is that I just don't know how reliable these posts are.
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:42 am

The rejection has been refused so I have taken the matter further and involved 3rd parties to investigate. A formal complaint has gone to Audi UK and they responded within a few days.

Of the problems already mentioned I now have one more. The Airbag ECU has came up as a fault. Tried reset but soon as you reach 10mph it comes up again. As this is a primary safety feature I can't drive the car. Bes bit is this ECU is on back order and they have no idea when it will be back in stock. I love this car.... NOT

FeelsRS4Man
Neutral

Post by FeelsRS4Man » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:01 am

Hi Guys! I was just at ABT in Kempten for another issue with my 21 RS4. I mentioned the issue you guys are discussing and the KFZ Meister immediately knew about it. He said that they managed to fix it on the demonstration models in 2018 but it reduced the life of the clutch significantly. Essentially the car is decoupling the clutch to allow the oil to flow through it. So if you maintain speed for a long time in a single gear (eighth makes sense because of cruising speed), you will notice the brief decoupling. I know that people have their own opinions on what ABT offers for tuning but at the end of the day they have the highest collection of RS trained technicians in the world. So I tend to trust them concerning the performance models. So it is indeed a characteristic of the car and a fix or change to the process to reduce heat in the clutch would have to come from Audi GmbH.

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:21 pm

FeelsRS4Man wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:01 am
Hi Guys! I was just at ABT in Kempten for another issue with my 21 RS4. I mentioned the issue you guys are discussing and the KFZ Meister immediately knew about it. He said that they managed to fix it on the demonstration models in 2018 but it reduced the life of the clutch significantly. Essentially the car is decoupling the clutch to allow the oil to flow through it. So if you maintain speed for a long time in a single gear (eighth makes sense because of cruising speed), you will notice the brief decoupling. I know that people have their own opinions on what ABT offers for tuning but at the end of the day they have the highest collection of RS trained technicians in the world. So I tend to trust them concerning the performance models. So it is indeed a characteristic of the car and a fix or change to the process to reduce heat in the clutch would have to come from Audi GmbH.
Really good info, thank you for that. Could you ask if ABT can tune the decoupling out as part of their performance tune?

FeelsRS4Man
Neutral

Rs4 b9 issue

Post by FeelsRS4Man » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Avantgarde wrote:
FeelsRS4Man wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:01 am
Really good info, thank you for that. Could you ask if ABT can tune the decoupling out as part of their performance tune?
The technician says that they can probably do it at the the owners own cost (not a part of the tune, their units are piggybacks anyway) because you are really really looking at severe reduction in the lifetime of the clutch. So absolutely not worth it at all. We just have to wait for Audi to address it (unlikely). But there is the answer.

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:11 pm

The transmission of the RS4 B9 is a ZF 8HP that is also used in other makes of car. I am not sure what makes it so different when used in the RS4 that would make the lifetime of clutches severely reduced compared to other brands that would necessitate momentary decoupling of the gearbox.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”