Rs4 b9 issue

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
parkerrs
Neutral

Re: Rs4 b9 issue

Post by parkerrs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am

Please let me know how you get on..
If it helps at all.. my car is a 2018 B9 with approx. 2.5K miles..
The 'stutter' seems only to occur when in 'D' mode & top gear (8th) when either cruising or constant throttle at between 1500-2000 rpm..
The feeling I get is almost like the car is trying to select another gear..
Good luck at the dealer !

SteveoM
Neutral

Post by SteveoM » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 pm

I’ve experienced a similar thing. It’s like a stutters / misfires just briefly in D8 at lower revs. Not a problem in Sport so 90% of the time it’s fine... but it’s not an extra I paid for...

parkerrs
Neutral

Post by parkerrs » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:55 am

It's nice to know I'm not imagining things !
If I get any explanation/fix from Audi I will post..

J88NOG
Neutral

Post by J88NOG » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 am

I experienced the same a few days ago.

J88NOG
Neutral

Post by J88NOG » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:02 pm

I was reading an article about the 2.9 V6 and came across this:
AVS Snip.JPG
Maybe this explains the 'bump'?

Not sure on what Car's source is though.

parkerrs
Neutral

Post by parkerrs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:09 pm

That's interesting.. I'll show it to my Audi dealer & see what they say..

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi guys, a little late to join but I was pointed to this thread as I have the same stutters / misfires on my 2020 car.

Essentially it does this strange thing in any mode including manual and cruise. It happens on flat and ascent and seems intermittent and without purpose. I've tried putting some more gas when it happens and seems to ignore the command unless flat to the floor.

As for cylinder shutdown, that was something I could feel on the C7 RS6 and it felt very different and did not slow the car or make it feel its dropping power. So I'm stumped with this!!!

Dealership had it in to check when it was less than 2 months old. The did the road test and the tech said he experienced it but had no idea what it was as no faults were showing. There has been times no faults showed and there was a fault. My old S3 had a backfire and was lumpy occasionally. They did some systematic checks and found the plugs needed replacing...

As well as that fault/niggle the rear seat release mechanism on the passenger side has failed for the second time. There's a warning light on the dash, PPF sensor has failed. And the car windows and doors creak. Overall this B9 does not feel as good build as my B8 which is very disappointing.

Its only 5 months old and all these faults have made this the worst car I have had from Audi.

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 pm

Hi, I am having this exact problem and its already been into the dealers and they said its a characteristic of the car. I said bullshit and have asked for a detailed explanation as to exactly what is happening and for what purpose. More than a weeks wait so far and still no explanation. To me its a fault because they cant detail what is happening and for what reason. Its not cylinder shut off and don't believe anything to do with valve settings. It has no pattern other than happening at over 50mph on flat or slight accents. It happens in every mode including cruise, so no its not a characteristic ...

RS4John
3rd Gear

Post by RS4John » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:01 pm

A lateral thought - the 2.9 Bi-turbo is shared with Porsche - it's certainly used in the Hybrid Panamera it might be worth poking around the Porsche forums?
2020 F3 RSQ3 Std, 400PS, Daytona Grey/black Ara blue interior, Pano, C&S pack, Red calipers, HBA, TP monitoring, 5yr Warranty, Cete AVC, EBC Redstuffs
Gone, 2016 8U RSQ3 Performance
Gone, 2018 B9 RS4
Gone, 2015 8U RSQ3

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm

RS4John wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:01 pm
A lateral thought - the 2.9 Bi-turbo is shared with Porsche - it's certainly used in the Hybrid Panamera it might be worth poking around the Porsche forums?
Good point John. Thanks

Isleaiw
Neutral

Post by Isleaiw » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:02 pm

RS4John wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:01 pm
Definitely in the facelifted Macan Turbo, in same state of tune I do believe

Avantgarde
2nd Gear

Post by Avantgarde » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:01 pm

I just completed a 200km drive and spent quite a lot of time in 8th gear around 1500-2000rpm. I tried really hard to notice any anomaly, but really couldn’t. There drive was really smooth. Could you describe the issue you have again.

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:37 pm

Avantgarde wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:01 pm
I just completed a 200km drive and spent quite a lot of time in 8th gear around 1500-2000rpm. I tried really hard to notice any anomaly, but really couldn’t. There drive was really smooth. Could you describe the issue you have again.
When travelling in the motorway in high gear between 2000 and 3000 rpm constant speed (with or without the speed limiter) the car every 20-30 seconds loses speed for a couple of seconds). It is barely noticeable but you can feel it. As a proof when setting the speed limiter, say at 80 mil/hr and watching the instant fuel consumption indicator, you can see that when that happens the ecu compensates the decrease in power with some more power.

Trickrider
Neutral

Post by Trickrider » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm

I have had exactly the same, very momentary loss of power but not as frequent as you have had, you’d hardly notice it but it does happen. Definitely when cruising, can’t remember what speed, has happened enough to make me think about it. One of those things that would be impossible to replicate or explain to a dealer mechanic though, I remember thinking that when it had happened a few times, I guess might get picket up on computer.

wazaB

Post by wazaB » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Trickrider wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm
I have had exactly the same, very momentary loss of power but not as frequent as you have had, you’d hardly notice it but it does happen. Definitely when cruising, can’t remember what speed, has happened enough to make me think about it. One of those things that would be impossible to replicate or explain to a dealer mechanic though, I remember thinking that when it had happened a few times, I guess might get picket up on computer.
The dealer workshop had confirmed they had replicated it and also stated they had another B9 RS4 which they took for a drive and said it did the same thing. Their explanation is that its a 'characteristic' of the engine/ecu part of fuel saving. That didn't wash with me as there are some who have not experienced this and the fact that when this happens the fuel consumption goes down!

Anyway, I have rejected the car not only for that but the actual build quality is a joke. All the doors and windows creak really badly. And I don't accept cleaning and putting silicone grease on all the seals should be required on a brand new car. Well now 6 months old, but they have creaked since around 1000 miles and progressively getting worse. Had my B8 for 3.5 years and only a DRC had to be replaced and that was in the first few months. No creaking or nothing...

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”