Mixed Feeling

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
SteveoM
Neutral

Mixed Feeling

Post by SteveoM » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Just said good-bye to my much loved B8 today... :cry: wonder when I'll next have a V8.

New B9 being built week 20 so hope to have mid June time... Gone for the marmite colour (Nardo Grey!) with:

Aluminium Race Anthracite inlays
Black Styling pack - a must with Nardo?
Extended LED pack
Comfort & Sound pack
Sports Exhaust
Sunroof
Black 20" alloys
Memory Seats
Privacy Glass

All the reviews suggest I won't be disappointed... like a few, have spent many an hour wondering about the DRC suspension (had on my B8).. but decided having spent 95% of the time in Auto before, the standard springs should suit fine.

Welcome any comments for those of you who may have experienced the ride with the B9 on standard springs and the B8 with DRC

Graeme4130
Cruising

Re: Mixed Feeling

Post by Graeme4130 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:42 pm

I've got the DRC on mine, and was unsure at first too. I read a few reports, which were largely driven by journalists that just reviewed the car based on nailing it around for a couple of hours, where some concluded the DRC wasn't worth it, and some loved it.
I have it my B9, but had the chance to drive a B9 without it, and glad I ordered it now.
If you're only using the car as a sporty car for the occasional blast, the non DRC suspension is decent and you won't be missing out
However, if you drive the car everyday, like I do, the non DRC is pretty firm and would do your head in on the crappy UK roads we have.
Also, when you are pushing on properly, the roll control of the DRC is better than the standard suspension, but not by much
It's a £2k option, so it's really up to you if you think you need it or not, but I'd try and find a couple of dealers that have DRC and non DRC cars and drive them back to back to make your own mind up
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:02 pm

I had mag ride on the RS3 and now standard suspension on the 4. It rides really well imho and I certainly don't miss what might have been with DRC.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:10 pm

DRC has two advantages - adjustable ride, and less pitch and roll - and both are important to me. I tried B9 with and without.

From a ride perspective, the car is actually quite pliant at speed on standard suspension but too jiggly for me at lower speeds on poor roads. It would annoy me. If you left your B8 in Auto all the time then you should do DRC again as this is the setting in which it excels - continually adjusting the ride to suit. I never use dynamic and only occasionally switch to comfort when on very poor roads of carrying lots of passengers. Auto is best of both worlds.

Flatter cornering and less pitch on braking and accelerating isn't for everyone - some like the weight transfer as it can give more feel - but I much prefer it and have a 2 CV for feel :)

Make sure you try both. You must form your opinion rather than listen to others.

cuttsy
2nd Gear

Post by cuttsy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 am

I had DRC in my B8 and drove mostly in comfort as dynamic was just to harsh for me. I don't have it in my B9 and don't miss it at all. It is slightly harsher than comfort in the B8, but it's all down to personal preference like others say if you have the chance try and drive both to make up your mind.
Last edited by cuttsy on Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveoM
Neutral

Post by SteveoM » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks all. Some good advice.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder - so will try and get into both shortly and let you know thoughts

elrao
Neutral

Post by elrao » Wed May 02, 2018 10:15 pm

SteveoM wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 pm
Just said good-bye to my much loved B8 today... :cry: wonder when I'll next have a V8.

New B9 being built week 20 so hope to have mid June time... Gone for the marmite colour (Nardo Grey!) with:

Aluminium Race Anthracite inlays
Black Styling pack - a must with Nardo?
Extended LED pack
Comfort & Sound pack
Sports Exhaust
Sunroof
Black 20" alloys
Memory Seats
Privacy Glass

All the reviews suggest I won't be disappointed... like a few, have spent many an hour wondering about the DRC suspension (had on my B8).. but decided having spent 95% of the time in Auto before, the standard springs should suit fine.

Welcome any comments for those of you who may have experienced the ride with the B9 on standard springs and the B8 with DRC
Wonder who bought that....

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”