My 2p - RS4, RS5 & RS7 PE back to back.

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
Surrey Sam
Cruising

My 2p - RS4, RS5 & RS7 PE back to back.

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Had the chance to spend half a day in the new B9 RS4, RS5 and RS7 Performance. All back to back, thanks to Audi UK suporting my dealership with an Audi Sport event at Goodwood.

Overall the new RS4 felt like it makes the RS6/7 a bit redundant; unless you really need that extra space. The new V6 was quite a surprise, thought I'd hate the forced induction V6 but it's sportier than expected with very little lag. That extra torque actually makes it quite a punchy and devastating tool over the B roads and is a noticeable step forward in real world performance from the old V8. I did keep hitting the limiter though, as it arrives earlier than the outgoing V8 by some margin.

The engine sound obviously is never going to beat the V8 but inside the cabin, it feels good enough for the money you are spending and fun to boot. I'm pretty sure there is some sound alteration going on in the cabin though, as the V6 was throatier and more raucous than the twin turbo V8 in the RS7 PE. The RS4 I went out in had the standard exhaust and then the RS5 I swapped over to straight afterwards, had the sports exhaust option. The standard RS4 exhaust was audibly louder, but the RS5 had more accentuated pops and crackles. I think the loudness is just down to body type, as the RS5 obviously separates sound from the cabin better. So RS5 owners might want to investigate aftermarket alternatives, whereas RS4 owners could probably just stick with the Sports option which has a bit more boom than previous generation.

Next up was the gearbox and this was unexpectedly, my biggest disappointment. People love the ZF-8 speed but I found it very average and the down changes across all 3 cars were slow and laborious compared to the S-Tronic dual clutch in the outgoing RS4. Driving in manual is not as rewarding and probably best left in automatic Sport. It actually suited the RS7 PE the best, as that had a lazier feel to the experience which wasn't helped by the air suspension. Quite why anyone wants air suspension on an RS product is beyond me, but to each their own.

The RS4 came equipped with standard suspension (no DRC) and also standard steering, whereas the RS5 tested afterwards had both the DRC and Dynamic steering options. In fact, it had loads of kit with an RRP of £84k. Point to note is that both cars were adorned with the same optional 20” alloys. Anyway, the standard suspension is very well judged for UK roads, the spring rate is softer and has more travel despite the dampers being marginally firmer than DRC in comfort mode. In the DRC car, the springs are a tad firmer but when in comfort mode you suffered less ‘moob jiggle’. If I was mainly driving around pot holed suburban city roads, littered with speed bumps. Then I’d probably pocket the money saved and choose the standard suspension. On the other hand, should you enjoy more open roads for your driving, then the DRC equipped car exhibited less body roll and handled marginally better.

Another surprise to me was the difference in steering. Both available systems still lacked that hydraulic feel, so no improvement there over the predecessor. However, I’ve never driven a normal rack and then been able to go straight into a dynamic steering equipped car until today. The dynamic steering was far sharper, making the car feel nice a pointy at low speed, it also made parking manoeuvres quicker with less effort. Out on the road, I’ve never had an issue with the changeable ratio and weight like some journo’s have moaned about historically and it still remains the same system as before. Yes, the Dynamic setting still adds loads of needless resistance, so best keep that one in Auto, along with the DRC when tuning your Individual setting.

Out of the 3 cars, I genuinely got out of the RS4 feeling that I had the most sense of occasion. The Swiss Army Knife of cars now has that everyday performance it deserved and yet that still doesn’t trouble the Quattro system. I think this is perhaps why the press have warmed to it more, this time around.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

daytonamart
5th Gear

Re: My 2p - RS4, RS5 & RS7 PE back to back.

Post by daytonamart » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Wow, what a great opportunity Sam,

Fair and balanced as usual, money no object which would you buy?
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks Mart.

Money no object, I'd have the new R8 RWS which was also sitting outside. Only 5 on the press fleet though, so I wasn't allowed to drive that one as it was due out for review.

Back to the 3 tested, it certainly would be the RS4. It feels a bit more on its toes compared to the B8 but that said, it still didn't go around corners any quicker. Perhaps that's down to the Michelin PS4S tyres and front brace I now have fitted? I needed more time with the ZF gearbox though and perhaps a performance version, to then stand a chance of tempting me away.

Tell you what, you'd like it as a company car instead of the A5, now there's an RS4 sized hole in the garage :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 pm

I agree about the gearbox. After driving the super sharp DSG box of my current B8, it felt slower and more cumbersome to change in the B9. However, it's still leaps and bounds better than the box in the M4 and on parr with the C63's I've driven.
Like you say, sports mode is the best for driving quickly, as unlike the B8, it only goes down a cog or two to find the meat of the torque curve, whereas in the B8, it might have to drop 4 gears and clunk its way into the desired slot, and that's never going to be a smooth process - The B8's manual shift down with the big blip is still a lovely thing though.
I think after a bit of time, I'm not going to miss the gear change in the B8 overly as I settle into the normality of the B9 box, but I am hoping the sound 'loosens up' a bit over time as the exhaust settles in, much like it has in both my B8's
I think the best comparison I can really give the B9 is that it's a smaller, lighter C7 RS6 PE, which uis a really great car, but a little big and heavy for my every day life. 5 weeks and counting for my B9 to be delivered, and I can't wait :)
Thanks for taking the time to write a review Sam, super informative as always
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 pm

You lucky boy Sam!

Great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:39 am

Thanks for writing the review.

I have never been to Goodwood. Did you drive on a track or on the road?
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am

‘moob jiggle’ :bowdown:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Interesting comments about the gearbox in the old RS4 compared to new. The missus is seriously considering an RS4 and prices for older models are surprisingly good (2014 models for around £29k). My current drive (A45 AMG) has the most frustrating gearbox I’ve experienced for a while and it’s dim witted clunky and quite frankly <beep>. That and the epic turbo lag are the two single worst things on the car. Shame as it’s very very good on B roads. New RS4 will probably still be too expensive in the next 6 months so am looking at RS3 Saloon or maybe RS5 (depending on prices)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am

Great subjective writing, much appreciated.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Foxy
2nd Gear

Post by Foxy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm guessing Bam means 'objective' and I enjoyed reading your impressions, that's an opportunity few of us get and I was most interested to hear your thoughts about the steering. I had it on my last B8 and swerved it on my current 6PE (just went with DRC) it's impossible to compare objectively but it is certainly less direct than my old RS4 and I suspect that is down to trickery. I think if the B9 had been on the scene when I was ready to change I may well have gone for one, that said I don't regret my purchase, the extra space, ride and general comfort have been big plus points for the type of driving I have been doing but the B9 does seem to have resolved some of the B8's short comings.

kmpowell
5th Gear

Post by kmpowell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 pm

No 4, but interesting nevertheless...

'15 B8 RS4 - SOLD

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 pm

bam_bam wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am
Great subjective writing, much appreciated.
+1 :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 am

Great write up. I've gone 3 to 4 and have to say it feels a real step up in quality + for a big old girl really gets moving. Deceptive speed as the engine is so smooth and relatively quiet.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Foxy wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm
I'm guessing Bam means 'objective' and I enjoyed reading your impressions, that's an opportunity few of us get and I was most interested to hear your thoughts about the steering. I had it on my last B8 and swerved it on my current 6PE (just went with DRC) it's impossible to compare objectively but it is certainly less direct than my old RS4 and I suspect that is down to trickery. I think if the B9 had been on the scene when I was ready to change I may well have gone for one, that said I don't regret my purchase, the extra space, ride and general comfort have been big plus points for the type of driving I have been doing but the B9 does seem to have resolved some of the B8's short comings.
No, he meant what he wrote - subjective ;)
Subjective refers to personal perspectives, feelings, or opinions entering the decision making process. Objective refers to the elimination of subjective perspectives and a process that is purely based on hard facts like lap and acceleration times, weight etc.

Foxy
2nd Gear

Post by Foxy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 am

Markp wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am
No, he meant what he wrote - subjective ;)
Subjective refers to personal perspectives, feelings, or opinions entering the decision making process. Objective refers to the elimination of subjective perspectives and a process that is purely based on hard facts like lap and acceleration times, weight etc.
Apologies to Bam, I missed the irony.

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”