Advanced Key

2.9 V6 24v TFSI - 444 bhp
RS Owner
3rd Gear

Advanced Key

Post by RS Owner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:14 am

Have you noticed the only way to get the B&O sound system is with the "Comfort and Sound pack". This means you must have the "Advanced Key".
I think Advanced Key is Audis keyless entry system, like BMWs comfort access.

Crooks are getting wise to how easy Keyless Entry cars are to nick these days.
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

rjwojcik
2nd Gear

Re: Advanced Key

Post by rjwojcik » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 am

Yeap, I've slso no interest in Advanced Key. There must be a way of coding Advanced Key off.
Current:
2018 RS4 - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

steve099
Neutral

Post by steve099 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 am

My insurance company insists my car it kept garaged night and day because of the advanced key. Guess they are wise to it as well.
2015 RS4 Avant - Mythos black

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 am

Im hoping this is changed in the future i have never liked the keyless systems and now its a easy steal for thd crims i hate it even more
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:50 am

The advanced key is a lovely option which I find useful on the B8, it was also the only way to get the start/stop button. Is this the same on the B9? I know start/stop buttons are far more common now on cars as standard.

Also, just keeping your keys in a faraday type of product will stop the relay theft, which I don't believe to be that prevalent anyway. The press just love to get onto subjects like that and blow them out of proportion.

The only annoying things are, washing a car with keys in your pocket has it locking and unlocking itself and the fobs go through batteries quicker.

steve099 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 am
My insurance company insists my car it kept garaged night and day because of the advanced key. Guess they are wise to it as well.
I can't believe that, since when have insurance companies started asking about what factory optional extras your car has fitted?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

RS Owner
3rd Gear

Post by RS Owner » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:50 am
Also, just keeping your keys in a faraday type of product will stop the relay theft, which I don't believe to be that prevalent anyway. The press just love to get onto subjects like that and blow them out of proportion.
Your obviously aware of the problem with keyless entry systems i.e. "relay theft".
Up to around 12 months ago you would need a software radio (upwards of £1,000) to build a relay for the remote but in the last 12 months the security researchers Qihoo demonstrated a relay attack using equipment costing $20.

Now the devices are cheap, "relay theft" will only get more common. This is the thing that changes the game.

I've seen warnings from the Police telling people with Keyless entry to use a faraday pouch (PITA) or a steering wheel lock (remember steering wheel locks :?:)

I don't like Audi forcing this option on me when I don't want it and it's shizzle. :audibash:
Current : 2018 F5 RS5 (Let's Fire Up the Quattro)
Gone : 2017 M3 CP
Gone : 2007 B7 RS4 ( :kissmyrings: )

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm

rjwojcik wrote:Yeap, I've slso no interest in Advanced Key. There must be a way of coding Advanced Key off.
A chap on another forum coded out the door opening element, all else works as before.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Rich1782
Neutral

Post by Rich1782 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Mercedes keyless entry equivalent you can disable by pressing lock twice on the fob, it won’t then open and close when you are washing it, pressing any button re-enables the function, does Audi have similar trick?Helpfully learned this from a newspaper article an old man in the pub cut out and kept for me regarding Mercedes thefts from keyless entry relays, rather than the cars manual!

rjwojcik
2nd Gear

Post by rjwojcik » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Terminator_X wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm
rjwojcik wrote:Yeap, I've slso no interest in Advanced Key. There must be a way of coding Advanced Key off.
A chap on another forum coded out the door opening element, all else works as before.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Would you have a link, please?
Current:
2018 RS4 - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Also, just keeping your keys in a faraday type of product will stop the relay theft, which I don't believe to be that prevalent anyway. The press just love to get onto subjects like that and blow them out of proportion
Its not quite that simple. It is believed the portable boosters the thieves are using can boost the signal approximately 300 times. There is no precise figure, its not an exact science, because clearly these devices are being used for a purpose they were not designed for, and its highly unlikely they are all using the same gear. But they can walk up to your car anywhere - not just when you are at home - when you are in the office, pub, Shop, petrol station till etc and unlock your car. Theoretically if there is a clear sight line from the inside of the car to the key they could just start the car from the booster (which 'kids' the car the key is inside the interior) and drive off without even having to plug in and code a blank key. Be very strange to be stood at the till paying for petrol to see your Audi drive off the forecourt....

In the B8, wasn't they an option in the cars MMI to turn off keyless, so you have to press the unlock button on the remote each time to unlock? This will turn off the function where the car is always 'searching' for its key. So a booster wouldn't work, as a signal from the key wouldn't unlock it? Theoretically.....

Punters who have spent £50k+ on a new Audi shouldn't have to resort to Stoplocks, laminated side windows, Autowatch Ghost, bollards in their drive, clearing out their garage, having trouble re-insuring etc etc

C7 RS6 insurance premiums have rocketed since launch due to all the thefts - I think they are approx double what they were in 2013!?
B5 B6 B7 B9

steve099
Neutral

Post by steve099 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
steve099 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 am
I can't believe that, since when have insurance companies started asking about what factory optional extras your car has fitted?
I am going to ask my broker for more info during the week as to exactly why. I will post the results.
2015 RS4 Avant - Mythos black

kmpowell
5th Gear

Post by kmpowell » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
The first time I was asked was back in 2011 when I was insuring a Mini fJCW which had a ridiculous amount of options specced by the original owner. It used to be a case of only needing to declare 'modifications', but some companies changed the wording so it included factory fitted options.

I remember when I was insuring my B8 back in 2015, the 'privacy glass' and 'Sports pack' increased the premium by £4pcm, when I queried it they said if I didn't declare all factory options then a) the policy might be void if stolen/recovered and options were found on the car that made it more desirable then the standard spec. b) if written off I wouldn't get back the value (or value consideration) of the options if I made a claim.

Since then I've always made a point of declaring all options on my cars, so there's no ambiguity.
'15 B8 RS4 - SOLD

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 pm

kmpowell wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm
I remember when I was insuring my B8 back in 2015, the 'privacy glass' and 'Sports pack' increased the premium by £4pcm, when I queried it they said if I didn't declare all factory options then a) the policy might be void if stolen/recovered and options were found on the car that made it more desirable then the standard spec. b) if written off I wouldn't get back the value (or value consideration) of the options if I made a claim
Let me guess - Admiral? Or the Admiral Group (Bell, Admiral, Elephant, Bell)

They have always made their own rules up and continue to do so
B5 B6 B7 B9

kmpowell
5th Gear

Post by kmpowell » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Ian_C wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 pm
kmpowell wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm
I remember when I was insuring my B8 back in 2015, the 'privacy glass' and 'Sports pack' increased the premium by £4pcm, when I queried it they said if I didn't declare all factory options then a) the policy might be void if stolen/recovered and options were found on the car that made it more desirable then the standard spec. b) if written off I wouldn't get back the value (or value consideration) of the options if I made a claim
Let me guess - Admiral? Or the Admiral Group (Bell, Admiral, Elephant, Bell)

They have always made their own rules up and continue to do so
Yup Admiral group. But when I replaced the B8 with the RRS in Nov 2016, I used a broker (A-Plan) and their underwriter policy asked the same question.
'15 B8 RS4 - SOLD

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 pm

I spoke with the dealer about this, as I quite like putting the ket in the car and starting it rather than the keyless option where I'm never quite sure how it works.
The sales guy had literally just come back from Germany on some training where they talked about the security of the cars
I've no idea how it works, but he did explain to me that the RS4 has the next generation of keyless go, and this is far more secure than the previous generations
How long it then would take the thieves to catch up with technology, who knows ?
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Return to “RS4 (B9 Typ 8W) 2017-”