Aky's B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
aky_b7
Neutral

Aky's B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue

Post by aky_b7 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:12 pm

Hello all,

After much searching around for a stablemate to my E30 M3, (looked at E46 M3, B5 RS4, E39 M5, E90 M3) I've ended up with a B7 RS4 Avant. Purchased from a fellow RS246 member, it ticked most of the important boxes especially history and provenance (has approx £36k of receipts with it).

The car is standard and not remapped. It has some stuck exhaust flaps which I need to either free up or change the back boxes (spare back boxes came with the car). The headlights have also been mildly modded by Trup who has changed the internals for brand new parts & LED bulbs and re-sealed & PPF'd to protect. He's also de-chromed the inside of the light which gives the lights a darker appearance. It's had a 2-stage detail and the GTechniq Crystal Serum ceramic coating applied.

It had a factory analogue TV tuner which was obviously useless so I got an OEM Hybrid digital tuner from Germany and swapped it out so I now have digital TV. I'd like to add in a Mk2 LED/Media RNS-E unit but not high on the priority list tbh.

It has the standard 19" wheels but I just couldn't resist changing the wheels so have bought a set of 20" C7 RS6 wheels. They'll be going on as soon as I've managed to pry off the H&R spacers currently fitted by someone who didn't use any copper grease!

Couple of other niggly bits to sort such as a leaky headlight washer connection and seat bolster leather refresh. May consider a full re-trim with alcantara headlining but again not high on the list.

Next stop is to see Chris at CM Tuning in Leeds for a health check. Never used them before so would be good to hear from anyone that has.

I look forward to adding to this post in the future but in the meantime here's some pics. Please do let me know your thoughts!
Attachments
20220313_114326.jpg
20220319_162800.jpg
20220326_183744.jpg
----------------------
Aky

My Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant viewtopic.php?t=142551
C7 RS6 Wheels 9.5" x 20 et21
Mk2 LED Media RNS-E + AMI + Digital TV
B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: Aky's B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue

Post by JamesBaby » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:06 am

Welcome mate. It looks like a lovely motor. I think this was Owain's and if so I remember he looked hard for a good one. I would have bought this if I had known he was selling before I got mine recently.

I use CM Tuning all the time. Chris lives not far from me and usually pick my car up. My car went straight to him for a health check. He's done loads of work on my previous cars too. RS3 stage 2 MRC, RS4 Avant and now this black Avant I have. They recently did my KW HAS install and DRC recharge and I am planning to take it to them for a full Meyle HD kit install soon.

Check out my thread in this section of stuff I have done to my Avants. :)

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:15 pm

Hey James, Yes, that's right, I bought it from Owain. I was originally after a B5 but when I saw his car it was too good not to go and take a look! Needless to say the viewing went well!!

Thanks for the kind comments, but as it stands all credit to Owain and it's previous owner for maintaining & looking after it properly. I've just bought the wheels and changed the TV tuner for now. I hope to add to that for years to come.... unless a B5 happens to turn my head!

Thanks for the feedback re Chris @ CM Tuning, I'll give him a call and get it booked in for it's health check. I'm a little OCD about knowing that everything is as it should be!! I'm off to have a look at your thread/avants!!....

Cheers
Aky
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:44 am

Mate you sound like me. I need to know everything has been done properly lol. I end up explaining to tech's how I want it done and I have to stop myself sometimes and just trust them.

You will like my thread then. :)

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:02 am

JamesBaby wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:44 am
Mate you sound like me. I need to know everything has been done properly lol. I end up explaining to tech's how I want it done and I have to stop myself sometimes and just trust them.

You will like my thread then. :)
Loved your thread mate, both your cars are stunning. I noticed you put the media LED RNSE unit into your first car, I'm just thinking about doing the same and swapping the old style ipod kit for the AMI too. Owain added the tune2air already so I can transfer that over. Just not 100% convinced its worth the spend, I have to convince myself first I think!! :bash:

I really want to retrim the interior though, go custom with a combo of alcantara and leather but nothing outrageous...maybe!
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:39 pm

Thanks Aky.

If you are desperate to keep it OEM then fine you can do the RNSE upgrade. I bought one from an A3 I think and transferred the facias and coded it to the car with my VCDS but you can get RS4 versions already done sometimes. However, a proper aftermarket unit is another world of improvement over any RNS-E and I personally would go that way rather than any RNS-E upgrade. The sound quality in mine now is a revelation. Where are you based?, I'm in Huddersfield by J25 M62.

Oooh custom interior. I'd love to do that. Personally I'd go cream or a lighter colour to brighten up the inside with some charcoal alcantara or something. (In my head it looks nicer than it sounds lol)

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:40 am

JamesBaby wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:39 pm
Thanks Aky.

If you are desperate to keep it OEM then fine you can do the RNSE upgrade. I bought one from an A3 I think and transferred the facias and coded it to the car with my VCDS but you can get RS4 versions already done sometimes. However, a proper aftermarket unit is another world of improvement over any RNS-E and I personally would go that way rather than any RNS-E upgrade. The sound quality in mine now is a revelation. Where are you based?, I'm in Huddersfield by J25 M62.

Oooh custom interior. I'd love to do that. Personally I'd go cream or a lighter colour to brighten up the inside with some charcoal alcantara or something. (In my head it looks nicer than it sounds lol)
Hey James. Well, I've gone and bought an A3 193 LED RNS-E today along with an AMI kit as well before I read your reply but tbh I think I wanna stick to an OEM look. I've got an old pioneer flat sub to go in too (wx77??) which will hopefully give the sound a little extra kick. Swapping the fascia and coding shouldn't be a problem for me hopefully! Prob add that firmware for SD card maps, speed cameras etc at some point.

Cream with black goes well but I don't think it would work with the sprint blue IMHO. I'd probably stick to anthracite or black with maybe blue coloured stitching to tie it in, depending on what my mate who does the retrims recommends (Michael at MJ Interiors - big VAG guy!).

So you're only down the road! I'm in Bradford, next junction on!!!
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:09 am

My RS3 8V was blue with the Silver Luna kind of creamy interior. I loved it.

I've heard of Mj Interiors. They've been around since I was a boy and yes big in the VAG scene.

I'm mainly focussing on mechanical for the most part at the moment. Although I am also machine polishing mine at the moment too in my spare time. Interior may come later.

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am

Update:

The LED Mk2 RNS-E came through today, looks good, just gotta add it to the list of stuff to do!

As it's an A3 unit, next job is to swap over the face plates with the A4 RNS-E, so will have a non-LED A3 RNS-E for sale if anyone needs one?!

Aky
Attachments
20220404_110729.jpg
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:22 pm

Bit fo an update.

I've got the fascia swapped over from the Media Mk2 RNS-E and installed along with the AMI in the glovebox.

Also finally got the wheels fitted but unfortunately the Pilot Sport 4s' are a touch too wide (265) so I've ordered a full set of 255/30/20 Yoko V105's (R01 rated). Pic below is with the PS4s' on.
Attachments
20220410_170554.jpg
20220412_165456.jpg
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:54 pm

Nice. Glad the project went ok for you.

Car looks lovely mate

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:10 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:54 pm
Nice. Glad the project went ok for you.

Car looks lovely mate
Thanks James! Just need to get it round to Chris at CM Tuning now for a once over.
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

d7ve_b
Neutral

Post by d7ve_b » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:16 am

Hi Aky,

Lovely motor! I also have a sprint blue Avant and regularly visit Chris. If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the RNSE, AMI and hybrid TV tuner from? And what did you pay (pm me if you’d prefer).

Very tempted to do this upgrade but not sure on part numbers etc.

TIA Dave.

aky_b7
Neutral

Post by aky_b7 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:27 pm

d7ve_b wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:16 am
Hi Aky,

Lovely motor! I also have a sprint blue Avant and regularly visit Chris. If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the RNSE, AMI and hybrid TV tuner from? And what did you pay (pm me if you’d prefer).

Very tempted to do this upgrade but not sure on part numbers etc.

TIA Dave.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your kind comment and feedback re Chris.

I actually found a seller on Facebook marketplace with the rns-e and ami kit. It was an a3 unit so just had to swap the fascia amd buttons over. You could get either an a3 or a TT unit, whatever you can get cheaper! More than happy to lend a hand with the fascia swap and install/coding if you need it.

I got the hybrid tuner from kufatec in Germany. Link below. You'll just need to remove the aerial housing connectors or get an adaptor before install as they're slightly different. I just removed mine.

https://www.kufatec.com/en/oem-part-por ... 1628676568

It was only 99 euro plus shipping.

Cheers

Aky
----------------------
Aky

B14 Bilstein's
Headlights by EM Tuning

d7ve_b
Neutral

Post by d7ve_b » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Thanks Aky, super helpful!

Let me know if you attend any local meets, would love a look around your motor.

Return to “Readers' Rides”