JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona & Phantom

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona

Post by JamesBaby » Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Update. Overhauled the brake calipers, discs and pads.

I bought front discs from Reyland Motorsport for £340 delivered, just before the price change :)

Thing of beauty these are. You have to use your standard bells from Oem or Brembo aftermarket discs.

I bought new bolts from mtecbrakes.com as my old ones were looking poor. I didn’t want issues when I took them apart and for £6 for 20 it was a no brainier.
https://www.mtecbrakes.com/m6-x-30mm-bo ... asher.html

You can also get the spring clamps and H type bobbins from them too if needed but mine were ok on my bells.

I soaked them all in Bilt Hamber Deoc-C corrosion remover. They came out great. Including the Caliper pins and spring clamps.

I cleaned the hubs until they were surgically clean. Do not put layers of grease or paint etc on hubs. It will cause you run out and vibration issues. Clean, WD40, and leave be.

Being OCD, I don’t like the discs getting a rusty unswept area on the disc face. So I made a mask and painted around 5-7 mm in a circle with high temp silver paint. So hopefully this will keep it silver looking.

I also had the front calipers fully refurbed by Jonny at Brake Caliper Refurbs. They blast them to bare metal, strip all components, replace any defective item, plate all exposed workings, and install new bleed nipples.

I had the standard oem black ones but had them redone in Speed Yellow.

They look well installed.

The rears were also done. I managed to bag a great carparts4less deal on the rear discs.

I bought new calipers for the rear and painted and lacquered them myself.

Some pics of the final install.

I had problems upgrading my brake hoses to stainless braided ones. The hard line connectors are corroded and I damaged a hard line which had to be replaced. So doing the hoses will be revisited at a later date.

I used DS2500 pads and now that everything has some miles on it and bedding in, the bite is nice and sharp and the stopping power is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Wed May 08, 2019 6:58 am

Looking fab. Good move buying new rear calipers as the bleed nipple female threads are weak on old calipers as I found both of mine cross threaded and had to buy new ones.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

James1984
3rd Gear

Post by James1984 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 am

Did you have a hard time replacing the front hard line?
2007 B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, custom home made air feed, H&R Coilovers, H&R anti roll bars, 10mm H&R Spacers, Milltek decat downpipes, Milltek Non Res Valved Exhaust, Reyland Motorsports front & rear discs with Hel braided Hoses, full underbody overhauled inc powdercoated subframes and arms, 034 solid subframe bushes and every joint, arm or bush replaced.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 am

Those disks look the nuts and good thinking on the ring of paint, I done similar with black paint on my M3 discs. The callipers look great in the picture on their own but I’m not sure if they suit an otherwise oem looking car. Maybe if they were behind a darker wheel they would look better, just my opinion though.

Cheers :thumbs:

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 am

James1984 wrote:Did you have a hard time replacing the front hard line?
The front off side hard line requires the gearbox to come out and exhaust manifold removal. A big enough job. Lowering the engine would require prop shaft unbolting etc etc which is a mission too.

In the end I opted for a new line to be made in situ out of a normal brake pipe material that can be bent manually. I had it done at Awesome Gti.

I may have avoided all this if I had left the braided line install to Awesome Gti as they probably would have used skill, heat and knowledge to undo the siezed line without breaking it.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 am

FrazerD wrote:Those disks look the nuts and good thinking on the ring of paint, I done similar with black paint on my M3 discs. The callipers look great in the picture on their own but I’m not sure if they suit an otherwise oem looking car. Maybe if they were behind a darker wheel they would look better, just my opinion though.

Interesting point. New wheels are on the cards but they will not be dark. I hate biack wheels.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Wed May 08, 2019 10:53 am

JamesBaby wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:28 am
Interesting point. New wheels are on the cards but they will not be dark. I hate biack wheels.

As I said, just my personal opinion but they just stand out a lot because your car is standard. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing.

James1984
3rd Gear

Post by James1984 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 am
James1984 wrote:Did you have a hard time replacing the front hard line?
The front off side hard line requires the gearbox to come out and exhaust manifold removal. A big enough job. Lowering the engine would require prop shaft unbolting etc etc which is a mission too.

In the end I opted for a new line to be made in situ out of a normal brake pipe material that can be bent manually. I had it done at Awesome Gti.

I may have avoided all this if I had left the braided line install to Awesome Gti as they probably would have used skill, heat and knowledge to undo the siezed line without breaking it.

Mine was a right chew on, I’d dread to think what I’d have done if all my car wasn’t already in bits.
2007 B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, custom home made air feed, H&R Coilovers, H&R anti roll bars, 10mm H&R Spacers, Milltek decat downpipes, Milltek Non Res Valved Exhaust, Reyland Motorsports front & rear discs with Hel braided Hoses, full underbody overhauled inc powdercoated subframes and arms, 034 solid subframe bushes and every joint, arm or bush replaced.

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Front calipers look sweet mate,are the discs 365mm or did you go 380mm,couldn't see in the post a size.
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Mav8 wrote:Front calipers look sweet mate,are the discs 365mm or did you go 380mm,couldn't see in the post a size.
Mav8
I just went with oem size. Whatever that is.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Impressive work.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed May 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks for your comments and opinions guys. :)

Mike-W
Neutral

Post by Mike-W » Sat May 25, 2019 8:52 pm

Lovely looking Daytona, but I am biased! Good bumper gap too, makes all the difference. Mine needs doing...Some time!

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sat May 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Mike-W wrote:Lovely looking Daytona, but I am biased! Good bumper gap too, makes all the difference. Mine needs doing...Some time!
Thanks ! Have you got a thread up about yours?

Get the bonnet sorted mate. Looks lovely when done and satisfying work.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sat May 25, 2019 9:10 pm

So a while back I bought a DA6 Pro dual action polisher. So I got to work on mine with some Menzerna 2200 and super fine 3800.

It’s so easy with these two polishes and great for beginners as it barely touches the surface. Enough to get wash swirls out if you like.

My grey looked a little flat imo. So this really did wonders.

Return to “Readers' Rides”