JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona & Phantom

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
jamiej
2nd Gear

Re: JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona

Post by jamiej » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks dude. Looks like a good bit of kit. Presumably it doesn't upset the handling or make the ride too stiff?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Current
'07 - Audi RS4 Avant Daytona Grey
'16 - BMW M135i F20 (LCI)
Gone
'02 Audi 8L A3 1.9 TDI (PD)
'03 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
'96 VW Golf VR6
'91 Toyota MR2 NA
'90 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9
'90 VW Mk2 Golf GTI 8V

Quango86
2nd Gear

Post by Quango86 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm

jamiej wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 pm
Thanks dude. Looks like a good bit of kit. Presumably it doesn't upset the handling or make the ride too stiff?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Iv just done the exact same job to mines. It doesn't feel much stiffer than standard but definitely tightens things up! Only thing I added in extra to that was new front wheel bearings while I was in there
B7 saloon, koni Shocks and h and r springs, h and r spacers 8mm f+r, milltek non res with valves, milltek d/ps, k and n filter, full mrc carbon clean, mrc stage 2 with l/c and f/s 456bhp 522nm.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm

As above. Doesn’t stiffen anything. Just makes it feel more solid and planted. 4 wheel alignment mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarpreetSingh
Neutral

Post by HarpreetSingh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:04 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 pm
Update. Overhauled the brake calipers, discs and pads.

I bought front discs from Reyland Motorsport for £340 delivered, just before the price change :)

Thing of beauty these are. You have to use your standard bells from Oem or Brembo aftermarket discs.

I bought new bolts from mtecbrakes.com as my old ones were looking poor. I didn’t want issues when I took them apart and for £6 for 20 it was a no brainier.
https://www.mtecbrakes.com/m6-x-30mm-bo ... asher.html

You can also get the spring clamps and H type bobbins from them too if needed but mine were ok on my bells.

I soaked them all in Bilt Hamber Deoc-C corrosion remover. They came out great. Including the Caliper pins and spring clamps.

I cleaned the hubs until they were surgically clean. Do not put layers of grease or paint etc on hubs. It will cause you run out and vibration issues. Clean, WD40, and leave be.

Being OCD, I don’t like the discs getting a rusty unswept area on the disc face. So I made a mask and painted around 5-7 mm in a circle with high temp silver paint. So hopefully this will keep it silver looking.

I also had the front calipers fully refurbed by Jonny at Brake Caliper Refurbs. They blast them to bare metal, strip all components, replace any defective item, plate all exposed workings, and install new bleed nipples.

I had the standard oem black ones but had them redone in Speed Yellow.

They look well installed.

The rears were also done. I managed to bag a great carparts4less deal on the rear discs.

I bought new calipers for the rear and painted and lacquered them myself.

Some pics of the final install.

I had problems upgrading my brake hoses to stainless braided ones. The hard line connectors are corroded and I damaged a hard line which had to be replaced. So doing the hoses will be revisited at a later date.

I used DS2500 pads and now that everything has some miles on it and bedding in, the bite is nice and sharp and the stopping power is great.

Really helpful stuff here, going through the process of having my discs and pads replaced too. Like you, I got mine from Reyland so passed it onto the garage for them to do the hard work!! :biggrin3: Cars absolutely pukka! :beerchug:

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks man. I do love driving it.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:00 am

So I recently updated the RNS-E with the later LED screen version. It does work and calculate routes much faster. I also got a genuine 2019 map disc.

Then I also changed the I-Pod doc to the AMI module together with a Tune2Air Bluetooth module. Sound quality is better and I can now view track listing directly on the head unit.

I have an iPod dock and Tune2Air Bluetooth module for sake if someone wants to swap out their CD changer for one.

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:51 pm

Nice, looks neat.

Prawn cocktail crisps though?? :bash:

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Haha. I’m addicted to crisps.

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:14 pm

car looks great! How many miles has it done?

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona

Post by JamesBaby » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Toady1 wrote:car looks great! How many miles has it done?
Hit 108k. Just nicely run in. Image

Just been on a 2300mile euro trip in it. Didn’t miss a beat.

EDIT: edited typo

Last edited by JamesBaby on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:56 am

You’ve got to love it when a high performance car doesn’t skip a beat 😎
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

OMN25
Neutral

Post by OMN25 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Wow very impressive and some genuinely good information, I’ve just bought one and I hope I can get it somewhere near as nice as yours.

Andy

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Well I’ve taken a deposit and the car is sold. First person who saw it bought it.

Not sure I’ve done the right thing. It is an awesome car and I loved driving it. But alas baby on the way and 25k miles a year I’m trying to have a sensible head on.

Will still hang around the forum though. :)

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 pm

Well I’m back in a B7 RS4 Avant again after having a stint with an M4, and then recently a riviera blue B8.

Will carry this thread on as there’s lots of info in it. :)

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: JamesBaby’s B7 RS4 Avant Daytona & Phantom

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:30 pm

Well the first upgrade is completed. The EM Tuning LED light kit replaces all the internal halogen bulbs to LED giving a fresher modern light colour. Also included the front sidelight & DRL in LED as well. New xenon Osram D1S to be installed tomorrow when the bumper comes off.

I also applied the silcone rubber treatment mentioned near the start of this thread. This was applied to all the rubber door seals. Mine were in excellent condition this time but I did it anyway. It helps with cabin noise too as the seals can create noise during driving.

I also added some soft velcro to the parcel shelf hook to remove the noise it makes as it flexes during driving. Car is near silent now.

Pictures will be added in due course.

Return to “Readers' Rides”