Wifey Mobile Mk2. Mk7 Golf R

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Soon after buying my B7 RS4 - I wanted to buy a separate car for my wife (3 kerbed wheels in a month may have had something to do with it) - so wifey mobile mk1 was bought. This little gem:

It had literally every option I could see in the GTi brochure, including the recaro buckets.

It didn’t stay standard for long - and looked like this when I sold it:

As great as it was, I wanted to replace it with something a bit newer - so I began by looking at mk7 GTi’s before being set straight that the only option was an R with the same main options; had to have a sunroof, and had to have heated leather. Additionally I wanted the bigger satnav screen, and DCC (selectable driving modes).

When this one popped up for sale - I had to go see it - even though it was 300miles away in Newcastle!

It had all the options I was after, full VWSH, and in great condition. So I got it bought:

Sof was literally in tears when I sold the GTi, and said about her new R - “it’s so ....standard !”

Licence to do mods!!

First on the list are new wheels, a slight drop, and painted callipers.

Watch this space...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Wifey Mobile Mk2. Mk7 Golf R

Post by MikeFish » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Haha permit to modify approved!

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 pm

MikeFish wrote:Haha permit to modify approved!
Got to take advantage - so I didn’t waste any time.

19” BBS CH-R’s:

Calipers were painted today at SL Restorations:

Then eibach lowering springs go on tomorrow!

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Special K C5
2nd Gear

Post by Special K C5 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Surely you must be getting a discount from BBS by now!

Current

2015 Championship White Civic Type R GT

Previous
2009 FN2 Civic Type R GT
2003 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 1+, Bilstein coilovers and Milltek
2006 535d M Sport - 20" Breyton alloys, tints & LED lights all round, interior LED's
2003 EP3 Civic Type R
2001 Tuned Saxo Vts

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Special K C5 wrote:Surely you must be getting a discount from BBS by now!Image

I wish!

Wheels and eibach springs on - will get some better pics at some point

Happy to report that the ride is still very comfortable and very close to OEM. If I still had 18s on, not sure I’d feel a difference in ride at all.

Something I didn’t realise is that when lowering a car with adaptive cruise, it can require a reset of the system. Luckily Camspec have all the gear (probably bought with all the money I’ve spent with them in the past couple of years!) Would usually require a trip to a stealer

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:26 pm

Subscribed. I've Been trying to get my Mrs to sell her Black Golf Edition 30 for an Mk7.5 R, but she will not part with the 30. Crazy bird.
Oh yes, I notice the wheel pin, an absolute must. Dealers should use these instead of slamming your wheels against you lovely callipers.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Looks far better with the bbs wheels. Progress will be interesting.

Cheers :thumbs:

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:42 pm

This ride height on these springs isn’t going to cut it - needs to be a bit lower.

I measured up, wheel to arch is pretty much 65.0cm front and 66.0 rear.

Comparing to measurements for the VWR springs, illustrated in this helpful pic pinched from the web:

So - decided. The springs will be getting swapped - again! Doh!

Next up though, some tints for the windows.

I’ve also booked it in for a wrap ;-)

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:11 am

So - tints - that ended up being far more eventful than it should’ve been; involving a steak restaurant under construction, an angry Tamil, and the police!

Car went in on Wednesday morning to autoshades in Sutton - my go to place for window tints for all my cars since forever. Highly recommended.

I wanted a light shade at most (35%) all round - but wifey dearest wanted to go even darker. The rear windows were already around 35% from factory, but by applying a 50% film, that took the rears to 22ish % (classed as a “medium”). I don’t like it that dark, but i was over-ruled!

Looks darker in the pics than in person.

This was done by lunchtime so I asked on the off chance if they could squeeze in the R8 for their lightest shade..they could, so swapped the cars.

When I came back at end of day - autoshades asked if I’d noticed any damage to the golf as they’d had a neighbour come in and say they saw one of the other neighbours (a Tamil lady) reverse her Sharan into the golf while it was parked on the street!

We checked CCTV and it showed the bump (will try to upload a clip). Not knowing the extent of damage as the golf was at home, I went round to where the Sharan driver lived, above a restaurant opposite autoshades. Although they were in - no answer.

This is the car that hit the golf - the rear bumper has seen some action!

Went home and checked the damage - not too bad. The number plate plinth was broken and the pressed plate a bit scuffed and bent. BUT the ACC sensor surround had half come off - and Sof noticed while driving around that the front assist warning went off randomly a couple of times - which suggests it’s been knocked out of alignment. That’s £720 at Epsom VW!

Next day (Thursday) I knocked up a note pointing out that they’d committed an offence by not reporting an accident within 24hrs, and that I had CCTV footage and a witness, and if they got in touch and sorted this amicably I wouldn’t need to report to the police.

Nothing.

So Friday evening after work, I went round. Parked the R8 about 500m away and out of sight, and approaching the restaurant/building site a Tamil guy walks out. So I catch up with him and ask if the Sharan was his - he says yes, so I explain that a female driver reversed into my car on weds morning causing damage, didn’t leave any details, and that I have it on video if he wants to see.

He became evasive at this point - denying any knowledge. He tried to get into his flat, and I figured if he gets inside - game over for me. So I got between him and the door. All the while remaining calm and telling him this isn’t a big deal, I don’t want to take it further, just want to get car sorted and it’s not a lot of damage. He’s getting agitated and goes to another door (before I can get in front) and darts inside - I grabbed the door and stopped him closing it. At this point he lost it. No idea what he was saying at this point, but think Apu from the simpsons crossed with an angry chimp. I wouldn’t let go of the door (still trying to get him to chill the f*ck out) so he tried to kick me! It didn’t actually land but got my jacket...

Motherfu*ker!

So I called the police and reported an assault following a collision - bit of a stretch, but hey...

He got on the phone to them too and said I’d hit him! (Wish I had - but no). Five other people, looked like all family, appeared at this point too.

The police were great. I explained what happened, showed them the footage, and an estimate from Camspec for the repairs (£330).

He was still being a moron - even when the police asked if I wanted to press charges and I said no. He denied any knowledge of the incident (wouldn’t watch the video), denied ever seeing the note (I reckon his wife chucked it) and kept asking if there’s been an accident why didn’t I report it at the time to the police. He also denied kicking me - despite the footprint on my coat haha!

It took the police lady shouting at him that I was doing him a favour by not reporting it, giving him a chance to settle, and that she’d arrest him (for assault) and his wife (for not reporting the accident) - for him to calm down. He finally watched the video.

The police officer made him go to a cash point and settle it there and then! Legend!

No insurance involved this way!

Who knew tinting windows could be so eventful!

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:00 am

Clip of the CCTV footage - excuse quality, I filmed the playback on my phone

https://youtu.be/oMoGY5fbIrQ

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Special K C5
2nd Gear

Post by Special K C5 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:28 am

Looks like quite a bump!

Current

2015 Championship White Civic Type R GT

Previous
2009 FN2 Civic Type R GT
2003 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 1+, Bilstein coilovers and Milltek
2006 535d M Sport - 20" Breyton alloys, tints & LED lights all round, interior LED's
2003 EP3 Civic Type R
2001 Tuned Saxo Vts

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Faisal have you had the bumper removed yet to see if there’s any further damage underneath?

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 am

Some people just don't give a <beep>! The sad thing is, that's probably how she leaves a parallel parking space everytime - just reverses 'until the car stops' :cry:
B5 B6 B7 B9

q5man
Neutral

Post by q5man » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 am

It does seem that way given the state of her bumper!

Fair play for chasing this down Faisal!

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm

All sorted!

The ACC sensor had indeed been knocked way off - sorted for much less than the £700+ VW quoted. New number plate plinth was £25ish. No other damage fortunately.

It’s also now on different springs - much happier with the stance now. I was going to go with VWR springs but then a set of lightly used Emanuelle Design springs popped up for sale on the Golf R OC forum. I’d never heard of them but the reviews were really good - same drop as VWR (25mm, vs 15mm for the eibachs), but a linear spring rather than progressive with excellent ride quality - reportedly.

Well I can confirm, the Golf is the comfiest lowered car I’ve ever owned!

Couple of pics showing the difference in ride height:

Perfect height now in my opinion!

Now I’ve just got to sell the Eibachs and return the VWR springs!

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Return to “Readers' Rides”