An RS6's Highlands Roadtrip

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
DuncRS6
3rd Gear

An RS6's Highlands Roadtrip

Post by DuncRS6 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this but thought I would document my 5 day trip around the highlands.

I have been wanting to do this for a while ever since I did a similar trip with my parents way back in 1994 and after reading the Highlands thread on Pistonheads. I finally got my routes together, packed the RS6 up and headed north the first week of April. Below is a breakdown of what I got up too in the 5 days.

Friday
5 and half hour trip up to our first stopping point at Arrochar.

Saturday
Today was less about driving and more about exploring and taking photos. Early morning get up presented us with some spectacular views over Loch Long. After breakfast we headed to our first stop which was a 2 mile walking trail called Puck's Glen, stopping at the Rest & Be Thankful Commemorative Stone viewpoint and taking the B828 road. We then stopped at the Benmore Botanic Garden before heading off to Inveraray Castle for some culture. Concluded the day with a few beers at the Village Inn.

DSC_0169.jpg
Loch Long

DSC_0170.jpg
Loch Long

DSC_0185.jpg
Loch Long

DSC_0066.jpg
Puck's Glen

DSC_0080.jpg
Puck's Glen

DSC_0142.jpg
B828 Layby Photo

DSC_0144.jpg
Rest & Be Thankful Viewpoint

Google Map Link
https://goo.gl/maps/XwPirEGdfEn

Sunday
Another early get up as we were heading to Drumnadrochit.

Using the A82 we headed through Glencoe, detouring down the road towards Dalness to try and find where the shot of Bond and the DB5 was taken in Skyfall. Unfortunately me being an absolute dipshit forgot to take a pic of it with me so had to guess from memory and was probably about a mile out, but still got some spectacular shots. Just in Glencoe village we turned right down the B863 and followed that around Loch Leven, this route had some fantastic views and is also a lovely road to drive around. Arrived at Drumnadrochit early afternoon, giving us enough time to hunt for Nessie down at the shore of Loch Ness. No such luck though so we retired to the hotel for a few beers.

DSC_0203.jpg
Loch Tulla Viewpoint

DSC_0207.jpg
The Skyfall Road, not the exact spot unfortunately.

DSC_0238.jpg
Bottom of Loch Leven

DSC_0242.jpg
Bottom of Loch Leven

Google Map Link
https://goo.gl/maps/K1JUn6qNTgS2

Monday
The last full day in Scotland but also the one I was looking forward to the most. Today we were going to drive from Drumnadrochit, via Nairn, to Pitlochry along the A939, Old Military Rd, stopping off at the Royal Lochnagar Distillery for a tour and a wee dram. This road was featured in Evo's great driving roads series and it fully lived up too it.

DSC_0271.jpg
Random viepoint on Old Military Rd

DSC_0278-2.jpg
Just after Lecht Ski Centre

DSC_0291.jpg
Layby on Lecht Road

DSC_0294.jpg
Vag on Cock Bridge... :lol:

DSC_0305.jpg
Random Shot

DSC_0306.jpg
Random Shot

DSC_0309.jpg
Random Shot

DSC_0313-2.jpg
Random Shot

Google Map Link
https://goo.gl/maps/T7MCVq92UUk

Tuesday
Headed home today but as the A66 was closed we had to find an alternative route and stumbled across an absolute gem of a road called the A684, followed this from the M6 all the way to the A1.

Google Map Link
https://goo.gl/maps/94yBecryXCv

Hope you enjoyed the little breakdown of my break in the Highlands.

Looking at doing it again possibly in June. Saw a couple of convoy's and got me thinking that it would be brilliant if there were other RS/S's that may be interested in doing something similar.

Cheers

Dunc
If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, when doctors eat apples do they disappear?

daytonamart
5th Gear

Re: An RS6's Highlands Roadtrip

Post by daytonamart » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

How was the car?
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 pm

daytonamart wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 pm
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

How was the car?
Cheers!

Really good, wasn't sure what to expect as it was my first long trip in the car with 4 people in the it.

It surprised me how capable it was being so full up. Tons of petrol stations around, unfortunately most don't offer the good stuff so had to do a bit of research and plan my re-fuelling points so not to run out of petrol.

Roads were fairly clear too so could stretch its legs with only the Bridge of Orchy having a speed trap set up.
If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, when doctors eat apples do they disappear?

mustdash
3rd Gear

Post by mustdash » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Nice review. And some great photos!

There is already an RS246 trip to the Highlands.
CURRENT: Montecarlo Blue Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifolglio, 2.9ltr bi-turbo, 510bhp
PREVIOUS: Volvo V60 Polestar, build number 149/700 worldwide - 3ltr straight 6 turbo. 350bhp remapped to 400bhp. Only one of 120 in the UK
PREVIOUS: Misano red B7 saloon, stage 2 map to 425bhp, manifold flap delete, KW V3 coilovers.

Special K C5
2nd Gear

Post by Special K C5 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Arrochar is not far from me...used to love taking mine round there. Always been my go to roads when pick up a new car.

There was a Scotland drive couple of years ago which was superb and I would be up for it again I am still Audi-less however at the moment so really need to get my finger out and get back in the fold!

The route pictures and some video are still in the meet section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current

2015 Championship White Civic Type R GT

Previous
2009 FN2 Civic Type R GT
2003 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 1+, Bilstein coilovers and Milltek
2006 535d M Sport - 20" Breyton alloys, tints & LED lights all round, interior LED's
2003 EP3 Civic Type R
2001 Tuned Saxo Vts

Special K C5
2nd Gear

Post by Special K C5 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:56 pm

mustdash wrote:Nice review. And some great photos!

There is already an RS246 trip to the Highlands.
Is this a new trip?

Current

Previous
2009 FN2 Civic Type R GT
2006 535d M Sport - 20" Breyton alloys, tints & LED lights all round, interior LED's
2003 EP3 Civic Type R
2001 Tuned Saxo Vts

anthonys2
2nd Gear

Post by anthonys2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:06 am

Enjoyed reading this great photos of scenery and your stunning RS6 it looks absolutely fabulous

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 am

Great post and some nice pics

I was on that RS246 Scotland trip a couple of years back - great fun despite the weather, but too short!

This post affirms that I need to go back!

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Special K C5
2nd Gear

Post by Special K C5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Great post and some nice pics Image

I was on that RS246 Scotland trip a couple of years back - great fun despite the weather, but too short!

You let me know when your ready Faisal I will be there again!Image

Current

Previous
2009 FN2 Civic Type R GT
2003 EP3 Civic Type R
2001 Tuned Saxo Vts

DuncRS6
3rd Gear

Post by DuncRS6 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Cheers guys!
Special K C5 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 pm
Arrochar is not far from me...used to love taking mine round there. Always been my go to roads when pick up a new car.
Yeah they are some brilliant roads. Think we timed it right as well as their didn't seem to be much traffic on the roads either, I guess it could be a different matter in the summer when all the caravans come out.
Special K C5 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 pm

There was a Scotland drive couple of years ago which was superb and I would be up for it again I am still Audi-less however at the moment so really need to get my finger out and get back in the fold!

The route pictures and some video are still in the meet section
I will have a trawl through that thread then. See if there are some different roads to try out, definitely want to drive to Applecross and do the Bealach Na Ba road next time I go up.
FaisalJ wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 am

Yeah it definitely would be more fun with a few more RS/S cars next time.

Return to “Readers' Rides”