Jon_J Stereo Build

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
Jon_J
5th Gear

Jon_J Stereo Build

Post by Jon_J » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 am

Ok

I thought I would do a step by step build of my revised stereo. For those of you that know me you will know that I had a relatively nice install in my previous RS but this time I am going all out. It was loud, clear and very bassy last time, this time I’m looking for a much more refined sound (although it will still be bassy, I love a bit of bass!)

I don’t want to change the head unit as the purest in me wants to maintain the OEM interior and DIS and DIS display. Coupled with the fact that the RNSE puts out a fairly decent signal, definitely something you can work with.

I need to do it in stages so I will put the build up in stages.

Loom preparation
Sound Deadening
Door speaker installs
Boot floor and sub install
Amplifier and DSP install
Wiring
Making pretty

This is my previous boot install which I threw together in two afternoons, it was always a proof of concept. I wanted to prove the RNSE could deliver, I could manipulate the existing loom and the once the boot install was in, enough sound could be transferred to the cabin. Thankfully it all worked out.

Over the last few weeks I have been collecting items for the install, cables, connectors that sort of thing. So far I have:

The main loom, this carries the signal from the RNSE and then the output from the amps back to the door speakers. I’m toying with connecting the centre speaker too so I have those wires exposed in case I need them. All speaker cable is 16 gauge although this is reduced once it couples to the main loom, I may address this later if measurements tell me I need to.

0 gauge power and earth cables, I have made the ends off already with Rockford Fosgate battery terminals. I’ll make the other ends off once I know where things will be going.

4 Gauge power and earth cable which will run from the distribution boxes to the amps. I have made the ends off already, I have a DIY for this which I will post later on.

12 gauge cable to feed the subs. I have made one set of ends off for this too.

Rockford Fosgate in-line 0 Gauge ANL fuse. This will protect the circuit immediately after the battery. It will have a 150amp fuse in it.

Audisson 4 way ANL fused distribution box. This will take the 0 gauge power cable from the inline fuse and then split it out to separate 4 gauge cables for the amps.

Audisson 4 way ground distribution box. This will take the 0 gauge earth cable and split it into 4 separate 4 gauge earth cables for the amps and anything else.

Speaker terminals for my sub box, it currently has the usual cup terminal type but I don’t like the fact it is so thin and stops the sub box sealing properly, these will go through the wall of the sub box and allow a connection inside and then a screw terminal outside. The box will then be sealed properly.

Audio Control 608 DSP. This is the most exciting bit. This will allow me to manipulate the signal from the RNSE to make sure it produces a clean level signal. It has crossovers for all channels, you can group channels as well as split them on the output. It is programmed via laptop with an amazing interface. This means I can set the amps to receive a full signal and set all the crossover and levels from the DSP. It manages clipping and signal distortion to ensure you get the maximum from your system. It allows you to change phasing without re-wiring and also you set the staging in the car by adjusting each speaker distance from the listening position all via the interface. I can’t wait.

RNSE MK2 to allow connectivity of the AMI. A must have for this install.

AMI to allow full integration of the iPhone.

I will do DIYs for all the components as I go along. I have the amps, sub and speakers now too, so I will pop them up at some point too. That’s all for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

andyg72
4th Gear

Re: Jon_J Stereo Build

Post by andyg72 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:18 am

Looks very professional jon have worked with in the trade at some point ?
Will look and hopefully sound really good

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 am

Not worked in the trade but done a few installs in my past. Used to do all my cars and mates cars also. Something I am considering though.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 am

Excellent, looking forward to seeing this develop.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:48 pm

+1
Go for it Jon_J
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 am

And me
Ill be watching should be good
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Loom Preparation

Post by Jon_J » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Loom Preparation:

Ok so a little bit of detail before I start. In the RS4 from Factory you can have the Bose System installed. Without offending anyone this system is terrible for a few reasons. The system is amplified by a Bose amp which if any of you have seen it is a) tiny and b) hideously under powered. It runs all 9 speakers and the sub and is less that half the size of an amp capable of running 2 speakers. Secondly Audi worked with Bose to create a low voltage system, this means if you want to remove the amp and replace it with something else, you'll need to increase the voltage and therefore signal coming from the RNSE. This can be done easily, the hardest bit is maintaining a good clean signal from the RNSE whilst you increase the voltage and signal strength. Once you have all that sorted you'll then learn the Bose speakers are terrible, they may have Bose written on them but do not be mistaken, they are cheap cardboard construction with the smallest coil and magnet on the back possible. they really are poor. Don't even get me started on the sub in the rear shelf. If you do decide to run the Bose Speakers but with an after market amp, you'll need to factor in the weird ohm rating the speakers run at.

So with that out the way lets move onto the loom, you have a couple of options with this I guess. You can take the outputs from the rear of the RNSE and run them to the back, install your amps, then run them back to all the speaker locations. Most of this is already done for you and so I am using the existing loom. From standard the loom runs from the RNSE to the drivers side rear in the boot above the wheel arch, here it plugs into the Bose amp. You'll notice there is only one loom, that's because the inputs and outputs are all together. Below is the pin out diagram for the Bose amp:
Amp Pin Out.jpg
You will see from this there are power wires, earth wires, remote turn on power, low level and high level speaker wires. I am ignoring all the power wires as I will get them from cleaner sources. So, Pins 19-22 + 7 are the low level outputs from the RNSE that you would normally expect to see in the back of an aftermarket Stereo. They are going from the RNSE into the Amp. then the amp does its bit and returns Pins 31-32, 26-27, 4&16, 5&17 as door speakers. 3&15 as the sub wires. 13-14 as the centre dash speaker. Everything else is irrelevant.

So now you have these you have inputs for your amps and outputs for your amps. Now thanks to a fellow member (Mike Fish) for his inspiration I have copied his method of connection. The loom plugs into the amp with a single connector so it would be great if you could just remove the connector and plug a new connector directly in the loom in place of the amp with all your new wiring attached. So to do this I purchased another Bose amp (you could of course use yours) opened it up and removed the plastic connector that the Factory loom connects to by cutting it from the circuit board. Now I have the male part of the loom connector, complete with Pins.

From here you can solder in your speaker wires which will eventually end up on the output of your amps and your low level inputs which will end u as the inputs to your new amps.
IMG_0435.JPG
Wiring it all in neatly and safely is a little tricky but doable. Below you can see the wires coming from the plug removed from the Bose Amp:
IMG_0437.JPG
Once you have a wire to the correct terminals you can run full lengths of wire according to your installation. I used heat shrink on all joints and then bound the loom together with fabric Tesa tape:
IMG_0693.JPG
I then went a step further and labelled the wires both ends of the loom using a label printer and then sealed the labels with clear heat shrink so they don't come off, this will make it easier when I wire it up:
IMG_0438.JPG
To install you simply unplug the Bose amp, and plug this loom in it's place. Run the other end of the loom to your new amp installation location. More on the installation of the loom to the new amps later.
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Jon_J
5th Gear

Power cable Preparation

Post by Jon_J » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

So whilst I am getting ready I sorted out some of the power wires ready to be installed. For my set up I will have 0 Gauge power wire running from the battery + and the same running from an earth point (there is one directly behind the battery). The + wire will go into a inline fuse to protect the wiring and then onto a distribution box which separates the power into individual 4 Gauge independently fused power wires. The Earth will be the same without the fuses.

Feeding bare wires into terminals is a pain in the backside, as soon as you cut the rubber insulation away the bare copper ends spread and its easy to end up with wires touching, to get round this I have used ferruls, They go over the end to contain the copper and then fit the terminals perfectly, you then heat shrink them in place and clamp the whole lot down inside the terminal:
IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
I have done this for all power cables and the bigger speaker cables. I have only made one end off on each so far, once I know the location of the fuse boxes I'll cut to length and make off the other ends.
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Meticulous detail . Well done and thanks for the posts .

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Looking good pal,
Cant help but feel the bose system is crap now after reading this lol,
An people used to say “oh its got bose in bet that sounds well”
Erm... not now lol.
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 pm

It’s a personal thing, to some people it sounds fine. The wife has the B&O system in her S5. It sounds very nice but I expect that is mainly to do with staging rather than the quality. I’ve never liked Bose, in cars, in your front room. It’s one of those products that marketed well and rides on its name. Just my opinion though.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 pm
It’s a personal thing, to some people it sounds fine. The wife has the B&O system in her S5. It sounds very nice but I expect that is mainly to do with staging rather than the quality. I’ve never liked Bose, in cars, in your front room. It’s one of those products that marketed well and rides on its name. Just my opinion though.

I agree. Having said that I was impressed with it as an OEM system and lived with it for a couple of years before enough was enough and changed it all.
I've now got the harder task of trying to make a loom for the C7. No line level output this time; it's fibre optic and no-one makes a converter for post-facelift cars yet so I will have to use the Bose amp before feeding into processor and better amps.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

I agree. Having said that I was impressed with it as an OEM system and lived with it for a couple of years before enough was enough and changed it all.
I've now got the harder task of trying to make a loom for the C7. No line level output this time; it's fibre optic and no-one makes a converter for post-facelift cars yet so I will have to use the Bose amp before feeding into processor and better amps.
Ouch, that DSP I just bought has fibre optic inputs. Image

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 pm
MikeFish wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

Sorry Jon I don't want to take your build thread off topic but my processor also has fibre inputs but the MOST50 data bus on pre facelift cars needs converting to a standard protocol using a converter made by either Audison or MoBridge so perfect for preface lift cars. But neither of these work with the more modern MOST150 used in factlift cars. So currently there is no off the shelf way to use that digital signal. Keeping my fingers crossed for an updated unit but I emailed both companies and neither had plans to make a MOST150 compatible unit.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 pm
MikeFish wrote: I agree. Having said that I was impressed with it as an OEM system and lived with it for a couple of years before enough was enough and changed it all.

Sorry Jon I don't want to take your build thread off topic but my processor also has fibre inputs but the MOST50 data bus on pre facelift cars needs converting to a standard protocol using a converter made by either Audison or MoBridge so perfect for preface lift cars. But neither of these work with the more modern MOST150 used in factlift cars. So currently there is no off the shelf way to use that digital signal. Keeping my fingers crossed for an updated unit but I emailed both companies and neither had plans to make a MOST150 compatible unit.
I see, that’s annoying. Maybe more time is needed. Although I’m surprised, these companies are normally ahead of the game.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Return to “Readers' Rides”