Charger build thread

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
iconic78
3rd Gear

Re: Charger build thread

Post by iconic78 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 am

So looking around I see a lot of people bolting on TTS chargers with MRC maps but not going much further.

I'm trying to find anyone who has built a low comp RS 4 engine to take us closer to the 800ps mark with a decent map.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Who else has bolted this kit on?
I have been looking in to it but the supercharger is only able to push 630-640 max.
But when i was talking to richard at tts his twin charger R8 is also runing meth injection.
As far as richard and i know there is no1 running this on the rs4 charger kit.
So i think this is my next call.
I know its not going to be 800ps upgrade but i think without bolting turbos on it can not be done.
MRCs twin turbo rs4 engine t5 van is runing 745ps on 10psi think. The supercharger kits run 14psi
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

J130YCE
3rd Gear

Post by J130YCE » Thu May 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Mine is 620, I cant think of what 800bhp would feel like.
BMW M2 Comp
RS4 Supercharged
Current Abarth 500c Two tone Grey and Mint - a modified go-cart.
Current T5 180 bi-turbo - modified, Reimo pop top, ABT kit, Caravelle 7 seats, going on 'air' this summer
Gone RS4 B7 Avant MRC, MK5 R32, 205 GTI, Mk1 golfs... plus some other poor souls

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 am

But everyone is running standard long blocks hence the restriction.

Also With the TTS chargers your fairly Max'd out but vortech chargers can run more boost, therefore more power albeit with a lowered compression ratio of 9:5:1.

There's no space on these cars for twin Turbo's only a single turbo under the floor-this has been done a couple times in the states to varied effect.

Hence why I'm thinking a high boost s/c on a sleeved low comp engine would be close. Perhaps you need to ditch the fsi as well as it would be maxed out before that you go close.

The reason for running water/meth is to lower the IAT's. Personally I think it's a headache and that a KC unit works much better and is efficient/effective. All the turbo boys and other charger guys are running them. Runs off your AC.

I have a spare engine so this is my next step otherwise it'll end up as a coffee table. Ironically the newer V8 R8 engines are cheaper for some reason.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Been along time on this thread but all i can say is...
Savage, got my licence back now an had aday of driving the car an it is a beast wont be selling any time soon i dont think
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Geoff A
2nd Gear

Post by Geoff A » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Brilliant. A great read Luke, thanks.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Shame about the pictures all missing now.

I have seen the news on the new supercharger unit the c38r unit,
Its a replacement for mine, hoping to look in to this some more soon, it says up to 900hp so we will see.

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:08 am

Lukes3 wrote:Shame about the pictures all missing now.

Its a replacement for mine, hoping to look in to this some more soon, it says up to 900hp so we will see.

An interesting development for you TTS charger boys if it makes it into full production.

For any of us to make close to 8/900hp we need to have ‘built’ engines.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm

iconic78 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:08 am

An interesting development for you TTS charger boys if it makes it into full production.

I thought the r8 v8 engine ran 800 with a turbo? The engines are the same,
Mind you the clutch wont take it,
Dose anyone know a good clutch to replace the oem one with?

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Lukes3 wrote:
iconic78 wrote:

I think you’ll find it’s a bit more involved than just changing the clutch and uprating the blower.

And yes you can run a standard clutch in a TT; most R8’s, gallardo and huracan run stock clutches initially until they burn out. They hold up very well. I have a gallardo TT as proof.

Yes the R8 will run 800 but it’s running twin turbos, chargecoolers, stand-alone ecu and most likely uprated fuelling. Also superchargers can’t make as much power as a turbo can on a like for like; supercharger needs to run more boost to match it.

As you need more boost then you need uprated internals.

Apr stopped production on there TVS 1470 units due engines blowing up in RS4’s. In fact they stopped offering SC altogether now. I personally know of a couple with blown engines from running too much boost.

MRC/TTS only offer low boost blowers as they know it’s safe to run.

Although JHM will sell you a Vortech blower that itself will do over 800hp they won’t sell an engine to match right now. (That’s where I am right now).

If all else fails then according to Nollywood, we can Twin Turbo our cars with the running gear from an C5 RS6 but that’s a bit more involved than just a bolt on supercharger.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:17 am

iconic78 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:12 pm
Lukes3 wrote:
iconic78 wrote:

I think you’ll find it’s a bit more involved than just changing the clutch and uprating the blower.

And yes you can run a standard clutch in a TT; most R8’s, gallardo and huracan run stock clutches initially until they burn out. They hold up very well. I have a gallardo TT as proof.

Yes the R8 will run 800 but it’s running twin turbos, chargecoolers, stand-alone ecu and most likely uprated fuelling. Also superchargers can’t make as much power as a turbo can on a like for like; supercharger needs to run more boost to match it.

As you need more boost then you need uprated internals.

Apr stopped production on there TVS 1470 units due engines blowing up in RS4’s. In fact they stopped offering SC altogether now. I personally know of a couple with blown engines from running too much boost.

MRC/TTS only offer low boost blowers as they know it’s safe to run.

Although JHM will sell you a Vortech blower that itself will do over 800hp they won’t sell an engine to match right now. (That’s where I am right now).

If all else fails then according to Nollywood, we can Twin Turbo our cars with the running gear from an C5 RS6 but that’s a bit more involved than just a bolt on supercharger.

Thanks for that info,
How do you think more power or what benefits will there be to this new unit from tts?
As there unit now runs 14psi so im guessing more then that is going past the safty limit for the rs4

iconic78
3rd Gear

Post by iconic78 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Your correct about the current boost level being the upper end of what the engine can handle. As a comparable R8 is only running approx 6 psi boost and producing more power.

The benefit is the scope/ability to run more boost as the application allows. The compression ratio needs to be lowered(new pistons), valve gear upgraded along with other upgrades.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Just to let you boys know i have ordered a sachs performance clutch from awesome gti with the sintered disc, rated to 541 lb/ft and a stronger pressure plate.
So we will see how it goes.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Here it is. hope its not to savage.
Attachments
500BADB4-9614-4DFB-863C-4AA6C232C716.jpeg

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Hope the paddle isn’t too much of an on/off feel
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

Return to “Readers' Rides”