Jonys RS4 Project

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
jonytek
5th Gear

Jonys RS4 Project

Post by jonytek » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Alright lads?! So I have been thinking of doing a build thread for a while now and have finally found the time to get started. After deciding I wanted a car here in the Uk it wasn't long before I jumped into an RS4. Now people say to take your time, do your research blah blah. That's not my style! I did do my research but definitely didn't take my time. I ended up putting a deposit down on the third car I looked at. In my defense it was obvious that it was well looked after with full Audi service history and the previous owner was 'a car guy' so it was well maintained and in great condition with 75000 miles on the clock.

Specs:
- Phantom Black
- Black Optics
- Sports Suspension Plus
- Tech Pack
- Buckets in Racing Cloth

The car was fully stock in and out. Here she is when I first got her.

And inside

Now the first mod that I had to do was free, disconnecting the valves. So it was under the back of the car with a small screwdriver for me..

Next up after this was to refurb the wheels, although they weren't curbed I wanted a colour switch. So I dropped it off at Lepsons going for the medium anthracite. I was very happy with the quality of work and would recommend them. I did however feel that the darker rims made them look smaller on the car. I'm still not sure which I prefer to be honest, oem silver or anthracite.

From here it was more aesthetic mods. I really wanted that mean stance for the car, so what did I do? Black badges and 12mm spacers all round of course. I managed to pick up the spacers here for cheap and the badges were just from ebay.

Before spacers

And after

Now I have found that there is slight rubbing on the back right wheel. The inner lining has come away from the body so it rubs over big dips, normal driving it is fine. They do throw up dirt onto the body work though but it's worth it, they look sick. Oh I removed the little plastic lug things too, well what was left of them anyway.

Front badge

Now I know what you're thinking with that last photo..... Well that was next! Bumber off it was..

Why??

Before

After

Blacked out headlights! This was really quite easy. The hardest part was with removing the bumper - I damaged the wiper pump, It now leaks and I need to get it off again to fix it up, should just be a jubilee clip.

So exhaust! I've been around in circles with this one.... After reading the reviews with res deletes and fitting straight pipes I thought i'd give it a go. I used Longlife out in Watford and they did a great job.

When it was first done I really wasn't happy with it. I was expecting more to be honest, I wanted more bang and crackle! I then got over excited and booked the car in at JC Fabweld but after going for a spin with Faisal earlier in the week I have decided that it's not for me and have started to really appreciate the res delete.... I cancelled on them. (Sorry Faisal)

Now at this point the car is looking like this.

credit: pule333

So that's where I am up to currently.... I've saved some money now with the exhaust so I'll be looking at putting that back into some more engine mods....

Short term plans:
- Front disk replacement (I have a couple sitting here in my bedroom)
- Pads all round - was thinking Ferodo
- Goodridge brake lines
- Decoke & deflapping inlet manifold
- Stage 2 remap
- Gut precats
- KW adjustable spring set
- Revolution intake

Medium term plans:
- Stereo (switch out the Bose for something decent)
- Wheels (no idea but a set of 20's)
- Paint correction

Hope you guys like it! Ido!! :blackrs4: :blackrs4: :kissmyrings: :rocker:
RS4 B7 - PLUSH BUILT | MRC WORKED
BUILD THREAD
IG: @bad_rs_4

FaisalJ
Cruising

Jonys RS4 Project

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Nice work so far Jony, and decent list of future plans!

Good thing you changed your mind on the JCWF before it got fitted! Too loud I take it?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

jonytek
5th Gear

Re: Jonys RS4 Project

Post by jonytek » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:57 pm

Haha, yeah mate. Don't get me wrong the exhaust is amazing but I prefer it on your car. :mrgreen:

I do really like the note from the OEM setup with the res delete. If anything I want that same sound, louder and with more pops. I may look at it again but for the time being I'm just going to do the precats.
BUILD THREAD

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:07 am

Trust me, been there done that got the noisy exhaust T-shirt.
Centre res delete for the win.

Hmm, black saloon
Kw springs
Centre res delete
Disconnected valves
Stage 2 map
Pre cat delete
Steel brake lines
Revolution intake
20 inch wheels
New stereo

Man I don't know why, but it sounds awesome.
Last edited by MikeFish on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaCoN
1st Gear

Post by BaCoN » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 am

Looks great mate! Thanks for sharing!

I am about to do the headlight mod too.....did you paint just the chrome bit at the front edge or the inside section too?

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 am

MikeFish wrote:Trust me, been there done that got the noisy exhaust the shirt.
Centre results delete for the win.

Hmm, black saloon
Kw springs
Centre res delete
Disconnected valves
Stage 2 map
Pre cat delete
Steel brake lines
Revolution intake
20 inch wheels
New stereo

Man I don't know why, but it sounds awesome.
Doesn't it?! Fun times ahead.

BaCoN wrote:Looks great mate! Thanks for sharing!

I am about to do the headlight mod too.....did you paint just the chrome bit at the front edge or the inside section too?
I did paint the inside section, I went with a satin finish. The one thing that I found was that you will need a Stanley knife to trim back some of the plastic clips to get everything apart. If you enjoy tinkering it's quite an enjoyable task.
BUILD THREAD

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:32 am

Looks good mate,
How did you get the smoke effect on the front lights?
2006 RS4
Phantom black
MRC Stage 2, Milltek non res, pre cat delete,

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 am

Starry wrote:Looks good mate,
How did you get the smoke effect on the front lights?
Not sure. I haven't done anything other than paint the inside. Could just be the photograph.
BUILD THREAD

Starry
4th Gear

Post by Starry » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 am

Must be the lack of reflection from the blacking of the chrome part. Definitely on my list of things to do
2006 RS4
Phantom black
MRC Stage 2, Milltek non res, pre cat delete,

jonytek
5th Gear

Post by jonytek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 pm

So it's been a while and thought I'd post a little update. I did get a few things ticked off the list last month so she is coming along slowly...

First up was the brakes. I managed to pick up a set of front disks from Euro Car Parts at 30% off so as the old ones were down to 22mm it was time to get these changed out.. While I was changing these over I thought it was probably a good time to change pads over also. Like most of us I ended up doing a bunch of researh both here and other sites to find a good set of pads. Initially I was looking at the Yellow Stuff but the more I read the more I was drawn to the Ferodo Ds2500's, so these went on all round. In addition to this I picked up a cheap set of Goodridge lines off here so these went on also.. I must say that the brakes do feel good now and after taking it out on the Track a couple of weeks ago at ADI there was no fading, the Ferodos do bite nicely too.... Very happy with the setup, would recommend.

I thought it'd be a good idea to try and restore the old yellowed carbon trims from the engine bay..... What a pain in the ass!! I ended up spending the next couple of weeks sanding away, adding clear coat, sanding etc etc.... But it did transform the engine bay, I lost the details off the the front trim but all in all it was worth it.

I also managed to get a good price off the guys at Revolution on some parts, included in this was a Pipercross induction kit. I'm very happy with it, it sounds great and looks very smart...

Oh i also switched over the radiator overflow too..

I've had the bumper off again to fit a cold air feed and fix the leaking wiper jet pump before MOT. I need to adjust the bumper though, the gap seems to be getting bigger each time it comes off. No images of the CAF just one of the car in bits....

MOT was due so I got the car booked into AMD,I got them to do some additional work while they had it. I got the precats gutted, KW adjustable springs fitted and full service..

I'm now really happy with the sound of the car, induction kit, center res delete and precats gutted for the win. It's not the loudest around but it does make the deeper sound that I prefer over some the raspier exhausts.. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a bit more out of the OEM system..

The ride height is looking right now too. I wasn't sure about dropping the car too low to begin with so I got it setup to AMD's recommendation.. I wasn't happy with it.. I lived with it for a couple of weeks and then got into the garage to drop them fully at the rear and almost up front.. I did find that the 12mm spacers were causing the rears to begin to rub so I did have to go down to 8mm all round, now there is zero rubbing. The ride is very comfortable but don't really notice a big difference to be honest, other than the look that is.

Original front

After

And

From ADI

So yeah, coming along nicely..

Next up will be fitting some lights that Iv'e picked up off Trups and then I'm not sure. I have been chatting to TTS and MRC over the last week discussing their super charger so let's see what happens there. It would be an expensive venture but it would really make the car special, an all wheel drive V8 manual with 600+ hp.... Phewwweeee!! :blackrs4:

Hope you enjoy.
BUILD THREAD

harding
3rd Gear

Post by harding » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:20 pm

:beerchug: Great ride Jony!
Audi RS4 Avant
[2014]: blacked out wheels & grill: center res delete : flaps open
[2015]: brembo & yellowstuff : michelin pss : h&r spacers
[2016]: sachs performance clutch : decoked : led there be light : black window trim
[2017]: stertman stage 1 : black headlights & clear corner mod : gruppe m air intake : gutted resonators

pule333
5th Gear

Jonys RS4 Project

Post by pule333 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:55 am

Good on you mate! Car looks good!
I need a better job ;) can't afford a charger.. yet ;)
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 am

How have I only just seen this thread? Sounds like you've been busy mate! Can't see the pics in work, but no doubt it's looking mean.

And you did get Mike's joke didn't you? A set of 20" Rotors and you will be twins! lol

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:11 am

Great work mate!

That engine bay looks like it just needs a new coolant bottle to finish it off
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:03 am

MrHilario wrote:
And you did get Mike's joke didn't you? A set of 20" Rotors and you will be twins! lol
:biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3:

Return to “Readers' Rides”