My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
pule333
5th Gear

My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Post by pule333 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:25 pm

not to be confused with Vinny the pooh!!
More like VINNIE JoNES.

Hi guys.
Time to start my own build tread of sorts.
More of a progress thread really...

Short story:
Been driving a B7 for the past 7+ years. But every time saw Rs4 always knew that one day I am going to have one.
So on May 26th finally got one!!!
A beautiful example of a well looked after Sprint blue Avant. Belonging to Fatneck73 and before that Qman and before that to Aled_31
Not perfect by any means but a good honest car. All the recalls and usual issues have been fixed before. And the car actually did 393hp on a recent dyno By Fatneck73. A very respectable figure for a standard car of 10 years that has never been tunes or decoked.
It was a bone stock example with only an H-pipe fitted to enhance the sound!

So idea was to drive it like this for a few month and just enjoy but naturally I could not resist to do a few personal touches right away.

The very first thing I did was book it in to AMD For decoke and a tune. Before you start saying why why AMD and not MRC??? Well because I don't like being treated like I was at MRC. Had my car done there before and not only did not get the performance I was hoping for, customer service was shocking.. Any how, my other two cars were done at AMD. And I could not recomend them highly enough!

While I had the car in my possession, I scanned it for codes and motor mounts came out as faulty, so ordered 2 engine mounts 034 Motorsport street density, torque mount 034 and a gearbox mount 034 as well. + resistors and 034 anti roll bar end links for a good measure.! 2 days later a had a box on my doorstep straight from USandA with all the goodies at a cool $621 delivered.

Also got K&N panel filter from Awsome.
And FaisalJ old exaust form his avant after his upgrade to Weldfab beauty!!

Car spent 5 days at AMD,
Here are before and after images:
ImageImageImageImage

And here is after.
ImageImageImageImage

So before decoke and tune the car did 384bhp on AMD dyno. After decoke it went to 397 and after a tune 415.4
Here is the graph: Image
According to AMD, this was not the best example of an Rs4 gains, partly because it did good numbers to begin with and partly because all rs4 engines produced different numbers even from stock and only a hand full examples go in to height 400 after decoke and tune.
But in my books, 31hp increase for under a grand on NA engine is good! Considering that MRC experience, cost me £750 for only 20hp on a turbo motor and a new cam, fuel pump and a timing tensioner after only 3 weeks because their full health check did not detect fuel pressure drop because of worn fuel pump follower...

I know that decoking an engine is a waste of money for some because they strongly believe it's pointless and will be back in 3-6 months. But I don't care and feel that clean engine will make me sleep better at night. Even for the first 3-6 month Image

After I got the car back from AMD i was impressed what a difference it made. It is sharper and more responsive with a noticeably bigger kick after 5500rpm. What a joy this car is to drive!!
And the sound!! Oh I love this exaust!! Not to loud but very grown up!

On the way home stopped by my mates business, Convert2xenon and he hooked me up with a full Led interior replacement kit and rear number plate light. In total I think he replaced 19 bulbs. All interior, glovebox, doors, footwell, trunk etc.
What a difference white LEDs can make :) also hooked me up with DRL led bulbs And resistors that he kindly welded to extensions so I can position them inside the crash bar as those suckers gat hoooot!

As soon as I got back it was time to do all the engine mounts and swap anti-roll bars and rear LED lights from my A4.

What a pain in the ass that was!!! First day only did passenger side engine mount. Seriously, if you are considering doing it yourself, Don't!!! Pay someone to do it. But I am not the kinda guy who gives up that quick and decided to go through with it.
Second day it was raining all day and I decide to head over to my local IKEA Car park to finish it of.

For the torque mount, it is a bumper of job.
But it was ok since I wanted to instal the DRL anyways. ImageImage
While at it decided to do air box flat delete.
And install eibach anti-roll bars from my A4
With 034 end links.
For some reasons, eibach don't advertise their kits for Rs4 but I can say it is the same shape as for A4 B7.
Original rs4 is 30mm front and 22mm rear both hollow non adjustable.
Eibach kit is solid 32mm and 24mm rear adjustable. Which I left at a softer setting for now.
Also swapped my Led light from my A4.
I really though that it won't go well with blue but oh my I was wrong!!! On a tinted car they are perfect!!!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Next Monday going for my first track day at Donington park! Can't wait to put Vinnie through its paces!!!

So here we are.. The beginig!
Last edited by pule333 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Good work, and I'm loving the use of the ikea car park.

Did you install a cold air feed with the flap delete? Without a cold air feed won't you just be sucking in hot air at low speed?

And how do you find the engine mounts? I read people say they were too hard. I looked at them too to repalce mine but went with the extortionate Audi ones in the end as I didn't want to ruin the ride with unnecessary vibrations.

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Did you install a cold air feed with the flap delete? Without a cold air feed won't you just be sucking in hot air at low speed?.
Was gonna ask the same thing!!!. Mine came with the flap deleted and no CAF. It was a sack of <beep> if I sat in traffic for more than 2-3 mins inhaling all the hot engine air!!!. Fitted the CAF and it was like a different car.

Loving your work so far though. Quite like the tinted rear lights. Change to black optics and it would look pretty mean and moody

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Man, you've been busy!

Good work and keep the updates coming
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 pm

MikeFish wrote:Good work, and I'm loving the use of the ikea car park.

Did you install a cold air feed with the flap delete? Without a cold air feed won't you just be sucking in hot air at low speed?

And how do you find the engine mounts? I read people say they were too hard. I looked at them too to repalce mine but went with the extortionate Audi ones in the end as I didn't want to ruin the ride with unnecessary vibrations.
034 Engine mounts are great! There is no increase in vibration! None!! Just feels stiffer when under load. Had them on my A4 for 3 years and could not be happier. + they will almost never fail :)

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:33 pm

RichieRS wrote:
MikeFish wrote:
Did you install a cold air feed with the flap delete? Without a cold air feed won't you just be sucking in hot air at low speed?.
Was gonna ask the same thing!!!. Mine came with the flap deleted and no CAF. It was a sack of <beep> if I sat in traffic for more than 2-3 mins inhaling all the hot engine air!!!. Fitted the CAF and it was like a different car.

Loving your work so far though. Quite like the tinted rear lights. Change to black optics and it would look pretty mean and moody
To be honest with you. This was an unplanned mod. After I removed the air box to get to Torque Mount, asked my mate who can be seen under my car in shorts and flip flops ha ha he is a KIwi and comes from a world of jap cars. Has a twin charged Impreza. Turbo and supercharger lol. Anyways, asked him if it was a good idea to remove and he said and I qoute: " mite, I see no reason to restrict air flow to you engine mite, remove that thing and let it breath mite. Because race car mite, choice"
So I kinda did t think it through and just removed. Might actually put it back if I feel the heat soak. But so far nothing bad I can report.

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Lol, love the kiwi impression.

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Pule333 wrote:
RichieRS wrote:
MikeFish wrote:

To be honest with you. This was an unplanned mod. After I removed the air box to get to Torque Mount, asked my mate who can be seen under my car in shorts and flip flops ha ha he is a KIwi and comes from a world of jap cars. Has a twin charged Impreza. Turbo and supercharger lol. Anyways, asked him if it was a good idea to remove and he said and I qoute: " mite, I see no reason to restrict air flow to you engine mite, remove that thing and let it breath mite. Because race car mite, choice"
So I kinda did t think it through and just removed. Might actually put it back if I feel the heat soak. But so far nothing bad I can report.
Fair do's buddy.

I would follow the CAF link in the FAQ section. It's only about £50-£60 for the bits and bobs and an easy job to carry out. Well worth it imo

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Yep I agree with Richie, as you've removed the flap you might as well add a cold air feed.

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 pm

MikeFish wrote:Yep I agree with Richie, as you've removed the flap you might as well add a cold air feed.
I read that DIY a few times but doesn't need completely removing the Rad?? Don't we need both of them? What's it's purpose???

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Pule333 wrote:
MikeFish wrote:Yep I agree with Richie, as you've removed the flap you might as well add a cold air feed.
I read that DIY a few times but doesn't need completely removing the Rad?? Don't we need both of them? What's it's purpose???
I think the consensus is that the 2 additional rads are there to help cool the engine in the countries of extreme heat in which the RS4 was released.

Many may people have done the aux rad delete and I've yet to have heard of an issue created because of it!!!
Last edited by RichieRS on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pule333
5th Gear

My RS4 aka VINNIE thread

Post by pule333 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

RichieRS wrote:
Pule333 wrote:
The consensus is that the 2 additional rads are there to help cool the engine in the countries of extreme heat that the RS4 was available like the Middle East.

Many may people have done the aux rad delete and I've yet to have heard of an issue created because of it!!!
That's what I wanted to hear :) ordering parts as we speak lol!!!

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Good man :thumb:

J1TVV
1st Gear

Post by J1TVV » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:33 pm

Mate loving your work! Ikea car park use genius !
Jit

2016 RS3 8V

2007 RS4 B7 Cabriolet Gone

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:03 am

Ordered! Thanks for the feedback guys!

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

Return to “Readers' Rides”