IanH's C6 RS6 - 955hp & 1200nm - Updated 09 Feb '24

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
IanH755
Top Gear

IanH's C6 RS6 - 955hp & 1200nm - Updated 09 Feb '24

Post by IanH755 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Way back in September/October ‘15 I chatted to MRC, Ricky Elder and classba about going for a 900+ conversion and doing it in stages (830hp first with all the parts except a Gearbox and then 900+ 3-6 months later. However, once I found that uprated GB’s from Ricky Elder were cheaper than I expected I was able to get everything at the same time. The car eventually went into MRC on the 1st of Feb after I faffed about for a month first and 3 months later in late April I picked her back up with 907hp and 1130nm.

I went with the following spec and I’ve included their rough cost incase anyone else wants to do something similar but isn’t sure of the costs involved.

TTE 850+ Turbos - £2200
Uprated Gearbox from Ricky Elder @ REPerformance - £3800
MRC Uprated Injectors - £2000 (no need for HPFP)
KWE IC’s (without fans) & Silicone Pipes - £1200
KWE 3in Cat-Back Exhaust - £700
MRC 3.5in to 3in De-Cat Downpipes - £1000
Aquamist HFS-4 - £700
Zirotek Ceramic Coating on Intake pipes - £300
MRC Race Air Filters - £120
MRC Ported Turbo Inlets - £200
MRC Mapping (50% discount) - £740
MRC Gearbox Map Tweak - £90
Labour (inc Fluids/Gaskets/Seals/Pipes etc.) - £4750
Shipping Various Parts - £330
Total - £17500 (est)

So that’s my spec with prices I paid and where/who I bought things from but now I’ll explain why I bought those parts when there are a few options available in each area and why I’ve missed some things out.

Turbos - I like the work that TTE do, they hit the power I wanted as proven by dyno results and Doug at MRC said they are now getting better results from them than before which why I went with TTE in the end.

Gearbox – I’ve put a separate thread up about this but long story short, finding out I could get one for under £4k was the single reason I decided on 900+hp. As mentioned above originally I was going to go 830hp-ish with DP’s and TTE turbos only while I tried to find a gearbox and at exactly the right time Ricky Elder pops up and within 24hrs of hearing that he could supply the same GB that is fitted to Classba/Trups and Brett’s car, both of which made 1200nm, I was sold!

Just before the mapping started on mine (it may have been the day before) I found out from Trups that his GB had sheared a shaft and I wasn’t sure what caused it (torque/design/other) so I asked MRC to map the torque low while the failure was investigated just in case it turned out to be a weakness in the uprated box. Subsequently we’ve found out that the issue wasn’t with the gearbox but by then MRC had finished the map (I only found out the actual issue the day I picked it up). Chatting to Doug he thinks there’s another 50nm-ish in there so I could ask for it to be re-mapped higher now but it come down to cost vs benefit (unless Doug does the map for free :D).

Bigger Injectors Vs HPFPs – Originally I didn’t know that bigger injectors were available so I bought a set of Loba HPFP’s to use with the OEM injectors (injectors open for the same amount of time but higher rail pressure means more fuel in the cylinder). On the day I dropped my car off MRC mentioned that, if I wanted, they now sell a bigger set of injectors (same rail pressure and same open time but wider bore means more fuel) so I bought them and expected MRC to use a combination of both. However, I didn’t realise that you only need to use one or the other, not both so when I picked my car up the Lobas were sat in the boot unused and they’ll be for sale soon NOW SOLD.

KWE Intercoolers – Again, I’ve done a big thread about these so long story short – Cost & no-one else had done it to prove one way or another that these are good/bad. NOW REPLACED WITH WAGNER IC's.

Exhaust – The non-res KWE was cheap (£700) but it was well made if a little thin and makes a great noise, it really does, but it’s been a pain to fit and it was a little droney at 2k rpm. With the De-Cat the volume has now gone up to a potentially “unacceptable to my neighbour” level so I’ll look at swapping to a custom resonated exhaust in the future. I’ve also got a couple of spare cats for the MOT which I need to look at making removable/re-fitable (CATS MADE NOW FITABLE FOR MOT).

Zircotek – I knew I was going to be fighting heat issues from day one and keeping the intake temps down was a priority so when I found that Ziroctek has released a “new” coating specifically to prevent radiated heat soaking into intake pipes I thought I had to give it a try. TBH it’s been a pain dealing with them as a company (10 days took 20!) and I really don’t know if there is any measurable benefit as the outside of the intake pipe still gets hot to the touch once the engine has been off for 5 mins (maybe the inside is still cool?) although they are very cold straight after engine shutdown.

So then, what’s it like to drive? - :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3:

After being so used to a stage 2 car there’s a few “me learning the car” things which are interesting, like the car now loves to follow the camber of the road at full throttle leading to some interesting “where’s the car going now at Mach 10” moments. It’ll now break traction in 2nd and 3rd if you’re not aware of the road surface when accelerating and the poor traction control is having a nightmare keeping up, so much so I’ve now found it safer to switch the whole ASR and ESP off and just allowing the Quattro system to find the best grip which is a much better idea (traction was killing power just as you pulled out for an overtake!) which is something I never had to do while the car was at stage 2.

Maybe it’s because I was in MRCs loan S4 for 3 months and had forgotten how fast the RS6 is but I swear it doesn’t “feel” like there’s 200hp extra, it feels like there’s much more. I’m now aware of the G-force pulling at my face and arms as I bury the throttle, which is fun every…..single….time!

One thing I haven’t mentioned is the brakes! I’m running AP racing 390mm discs, Ferodo DS2500’s and Castrol SRF fluid and, so far on the road, they’ve coped better than I’d expected. They’d be limited on a track though (and I do a few track days a year) so for my own safety I’m still upgrading the AP 410mm setup but I’m very surprised how well the OEM sized AP’s have coped.

So what’s next? Well even though I’ve only got a week in the car there’s a few “niggles” I want to get sorted – A knocking from the RH downpipe (I think), less droney exhaust and the bigger 410mm AP racing brakes, all of which costs even more money so for the time, as the car doesn’t suffer any issues on the road I’ll be sorting the exhaust/DPs first (noisy neighbours) and then moving onto the brakes at a later date while I find out more about the Sportmile IC’s from Doug and look at a the cost vs benefit of another re-map for full torque.

Whilst it was MRC I also took the opportunity to have a bunch of other small jobs sorted (not included in the costs above) -

Replaced the coolant pipes behind the arches - These are now a known point of failure for corrosion so I replaced them.
Removed secondary air injection and blank the combi valves - I've had the cold air start mapped out which removes the need for this and its valves.
Replaced all 4 Wheel Bearings - Nothing "wrong" with the originals but at 95K miles I felt they should be replaced.
Replaced rear track rods - Nothing "wrong" with the originals but I felt they should be replaced anyway.
Replaced front upper arms - Nothing "wrong" with the originals but I felt they should be replaced anyway.
Replaced front lower arms - Nothing "wrong" with the originals but I felt they should be replaced anyway.
Replaced front track rod ends - Nothing "wrong" with the originals but I felt they should be replaced anyway.
Engine oil change - Went from OEM Audi oil to Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w-40 which is a fully ester based oil.
Brake Fluid Change - Went from ATE SuperBlue to Castrol SRF. The ATE was fine at stage 2 on the road but started to show its limits on the track so I felt the new power levels needed a better fluid.
Updated the MMi to 5570 - Something I was going to do myself but never got around to. Can't tell the difference to be fair, even the 3D maps look the same.
Fixed the "Brake Pad Low" warning - Traced the fault back to a dodgy loom but, as my pads don't have a wear sensor, we removed the loom rather than replacing it as it isn't being used and a Pad check is part of my monthly maintenance check list.
Engine Carbon Clean – As already posted here.

Anyway, thats the story on mine so far, if you made it through my wall of text so far then congrats!!!!
Last edited by IanH755 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Farravi
3rd Gear

My 900+ spec

Post by Farravi » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Ian that's incredible!! And kudos on the detailed write-up and sharing with us.

Also I want to be first in the queue if you ever decide to sell although the small fortune you've invested you'd probably be better off buying a small plane. Maybe that's the next route, converting the doors to lambo style so she can get airborne.

rtd
Cruising

Re: My 900+ spec

Post by rtd » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Would be fair to say it's one of the best C6s around. Well done mate very happy for you.
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:36 pm

What about spark? I'm guessing there's nowt issue with early detonation on your car.
Massively informative, ta very much!
No matter where you go, there you are.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Ian, That's bonkers. Hats off to you.

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:58 pm

Wow, speechless. Great job, thanks for sharing

Audi-RS6-R
2nd Gear

Post by Audi-RS6-R » Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 am

Very very nice Ian ;)

When are the LoBa Pumps for sale, and what price do you have in mind?

Greetings from Germany

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:24 am

The Loba's are for sale now, I still need to put an advert together. I am after £1000 (€1300). These have never been used and each pump comes with the seal still in a sealed bag. I'll put some pics up tomorrow in the advert.

leehewitt
1st Gear

Post by leehewitt » Sun May 01, 2016 6:32 am

Great write up and your description of the results clearly make the investment worth it :bowdown: If only I could sell the kids wife and cats

U tube Video please :jump:
Daytona Loon - Stage 2 + - No F/R Cats - 3" MTM Valved Zorst - AP F&R Discs DS2500 Pads - Kw v3 Coilover - 10mm Spacers - TRUPS LED etc...

TTE Si
Trader (Expired)

Post by TTE Si » Sun May 01, 2016 8:18 am

Fantastic results Ian. :beerchug:

One thing missing is some shots of the car!

A20LEE
4th Gear

Post by A20LEE » Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 am

Great post, very good of you to post the costs too. We all start projects and they spiral out of control as we dont have the all the facts!
Last edited by A20LEE on Sun May 01, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 am

Costs - I wasn't sure about posting them at first as it's a very murky area but I believe that, for the forum community, it's better to have "all" the information (good and bad) available to everyone rather than cherry picking what's posted.

Pics - Here's a bunch I took before she went into MRC (identical to now but without the Trups headlights). I'll post some new ones later today, got to wash it again as a flock of flying cows decided to dump all over it yesterday less than 1/2 an hour after washing it :D

TobyRS4
2nd Gear

Post by TobyRS4 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Im not surprised at your smile every time you hit the loud pedal, the pictures you've take are great too, maybe a vid of it rolling?
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Black/Titanium optics, Anthracite OEM 19's, De-resonated OEM Exhaust, TTRS FBSW, MRC Stage 2 De-flapped manifold, Full Carbon Clean, MRC Stage 2 Re-map, 431.5 BHP...... must...not...spend....more...

Ungjaevel
3rd Gear

Post by Ungjaevel » Sun May 01, 2016 7:47 pm

*This* is what makes the forum so great. Kudos, and enjoy! (safely, mind you!)
Hello from Sweden/Philippines. My IKEA geschwindigkeitwagen! (766 hp / 571 kW / 1051 Nm), MRC'd, 22" forged, 'ramix, Milltek, ILR carbon bits, MTM adjustable springs.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Vids - I'd love to but I can't do another "speedo only" vid (like my stage 2 0-206mph vid) until I go back over to Germany and I can't really do a "this is me overtaking at LOL speed but not showing the speedo" vid as there's just too much chance of it ending up on Facetube etc. I already got massive grief from the custom exhaust video on YouTube with people threatening to report me for speeding after they calculated (guessed) how fast I was going by counting the white lines per second and then getting a Streetview image to estimate the length of the white lines to work out the speed (unbelievably sad I know). I also got a lot of "Big Bore = Little Penis" messages too, thanks Dad :D

Return to “Readers' Rides”